Johnny Lee On Cantonese White Chicken Video

Looking forward to the next event!

Ever tried injecting the marinade?

No, havenā€™t tried that yet. Summers coming so time for some experimentation

I love the concept of PRD!

Any chance we will see sweet and sour pork made with hawthorne?

I wouldnā€™t knock the idea of it considering there are chefs using strawberries for the dish in China.

1 Like

Interesting. The more ā€œupscaleā€ take in HK is typically dragon fruit.

I believe Sam Woo Rosemead and Longo Seafood make Hawthorne sweet and sour dishes.

1 Like

I was under the impression that hawthorne berry is a very common ingredient in sweet and sour dishes?

I donā€™t know about America but then again most Chinese chefs here have been taking shortcuts for years now.

Thanks for sharing the video, its was definitely very inspiring for me.

2 Likes

Iā€™m glad you enjoyed it chef!

Hereā€™s another great one I almost forgot about, JW Marriott Hong Kongā€™s anchor Cantonese restaurantā€™s executive chef Jayson Tang (heā€™s 33 this year) and works with chefs and staff much older than he is. Lots of incredible insight with amazing discipline and passion. And his approach to the cuisine is very Japanese in nature (sushi shokunin, kaiseki chef like).

Enjoy

2 Likes

Chinese food is still very underappreciated in the intl foodie circles IMO. All this new content is really opening my eyes to how little of the good stuff Iā€™ve actually encountered in my short lifetime.

Thanks for sharing @beefnoguy

6 Likes

Damn right. My local friends in Hong Kong wouldnā€™t mind shelling out the dough when it comes to fusion-y or poor quality Japanese food but theyā€™re crazy stingy when it comes to local food.

1 Like

I watched some of his videos and I love how humble he is in trying to learn from and appreciate different cuisines. He talked about how when he was a young cook, he spent a fortune to dine at Robuchon au Dome in Macau in trying to broaden his horizon on what good food is and how to reinvent plating with Cantonese cuisine.

1 Like

My friend owns a few upper scale vietnamese/pho shops and he has the same complaints. Vietnamese wonā€™t pay extra for higher quality ingredient pho. I think that applies to pretty much applies to Chinese/Thai cuisine as well that are really cheap in the hole in the walls.

1 Like

If you wanna charge high prices you gotta target hipsters that are used to paying $15 for ramen. Ba Ngoai ainā€™t gonna pay $15 for pho and sheā€™ll disown any family that does.

2 Likes

@Ns1 is right. Amongst the older set (grandparents, parents, aunts/uncles, etc.), it would be impossible to convince them that a bowl of pho, bun, or any traditional dish should be more than $8/9. My parents would think I was out of my mind to pay that much. I had the same level of skepticism when Susan Feniger was selling that $20 bowl of pho at her restaurant.
It would be easier to market to the hipster crowd because you really can get away to charging higher prices in that demo.

1 Like

Ha! I canā€™t even convince my mom that Elite is worth it over Capital Seafood! :rofl:

2 Likes

the issue will solve itself in about 1.5 generations, there wonā€™t be any more of these cheap chinese/vietnamese hole in the walls restaurants run by immigrants for immigrant at immigrant prices as that generation will retire or pass on. Their kids arenā€™t going to keep the restaurants to sell at those price pointsā€¦ unless new immigrants takes over, itā€™ll slowly fade away (if we still have any new immigration left in america, ha!)

so it comes full circle back to the OG point of this postā€“about learning to cook your cuisineā€¦

2 Likes

In other words, Little Saigon will be full of Vietnamese hipsters =D