Jon and Vinny's To Brentwood!

I was there last night for the soft opening. It appears to be just about the same size, if not a smidge larger. But it’s still small and cramped and narrow, as is the Jon & Vinny’s way. Quick estimate would be ~8 tables of ~4 in the front, ~4 tables of ~4 in the back, and a ~14 person bar.

1 Like

Farley says a little larger at about 85 seats.

I’m checking it out on Tuesday

1 Like

Should have stuck with my guesstimate last night which was 75 seats. Big crowd last night—Rick Caruso, one of the founders of Ares, and some actress from Community was there. Probably more I didn’t recognize. Vinny was there keeping the kitchen in check. Service was equally attentive as Fairfax, and food tasted identical. It’s by far the youngest kitchen I’ve ever seen—I don’t think a single person is over 30, and most look under 25. Fusili remains one of the best pasta dishes in LA. Bit of a delay on my chicken parm to go at the end, but to be expected during a soft opening.

1 Like

I’m in for tomorrow and, once again, breaking my solemn vow to never, ever, EVER try a place in the first month or so of opening.

3 Likes

That rule is certainly less relevant when it’s the “nth” location as opposed to a new establishment, no?

Maybe not, Maybe so

I can imagine scenarios where they
a) have their shit down, and
b) are spread too thin.

Weekend reservations seem to have filled up very quickly. I managed to make one on February 10.

I should have stuck with that vow. Even with the sergios in the kitchen the execution needs a lot of work. Go to the Fairfax location or wait a couple of months.

2 Likes

Thanks for taking one for the team @PorkyBelly. :frowning:

2 Likes

What did you find lacking? Curious because I found the dinner service itself great.

Me too. No issues - other than the obvious which is intentional: they bring everything out as fast as they can. They are not interested in lingerers. So if you order a bottle of wine and food at the same time the food will get there first.

I detest that.

1 Like

I got my usual order, la woman and spicy fusilli. The pizza was limp and flaccid and the vodka sauce in the pasta tasted pasty, like they didn’t use enough cream or pasta water when making it.

Everything just looked and tasted rushed. Nothing like my meal i had a couple weeks ago.

meanwhile in brentwood…

2 Likes

This club thing - ugh. San Vicente Bungalows is the newest entry, but in West Hollywood.

Testing out the local waters for what the market will bear. Can’t really blame the restaurant management for wanting to secure reservations, but I’m also wondering if unscrupulous table scalpers will simply join the club, then secondarily profit by selling their pre-set rezzies to the highest bidder…

Isn’t capitalism grand?

Gawd, given the state of the nation and world over the past 2.5 yrs, there’s so much 'd like to say about that, but I, of course, will refrain…

2 Likes

So, what’s the thing to get here? going for the first time tonight

On late freight, but I like the Cacio e Pepe, Meatballs and (edit) Sweet Corn Agnolotti w/Sage Butter :stuck_out_tongue: (maybe seasonal).

Got takeout tonight. Plenty of people waiting to the point I was slightly uncomfortable. Spicy Fusili still crack.

Wait area:

2 Likes