JThur01's SGV Update

The fish roe sausage to me was more gimmick than gourmet.

Y’know what would be really interesting? Taiwanese mullet roe sausage. Not mullet roe with Taiwanese sausage, but mullet roe made in the style of Taiwanese sausage, or a 烏魚子香腸

going back to pasadena-centric updates, the branch of albertos (featuring their california burrito) across from pcc was bought out by a korean lady who did no cosmetic changes other than to rename the place ‘mi alma’.

actually i don;t know for sure that she’s korean - but a bulgogi bowl was added to the pre-existing arturo’s menu. i suspect that she will eventually add more korean items to the menu,

since it was cinco de mayo, i tried the new version of the california burrito, which looks much more like a kimbap than a burrito; very neatly rolled and much more svelte looking than your typical LA burrito

the filling is mainly meat, a good thing for meat lovers, but for those who prefer a more carb-intensive blend of fries and carne asada, somewhat a disappointment.

i’ll be curious to see if they begin to add more korean dishes to the menu.

1 Like

they’ve changed again!!! this time to ‘hot wingz’

1 Like

Lucky Noodle King was rather divisive. Some folks absolutely loved it, others were unimpressed. Then again, I suppose we could say that about any food or restaurant. Personally, I thought it was good, though not brilliant.

Pizza, wingz and wurstkuche. Umm, ok.

1 Like

East Pasadena Misc Updates: Tipparos Thai is now Chaokoh Cuisine (Colorado Blvd between Sierra Madre and Altadena, south side of the street). No idea if ownership change. Were really disappointed when it was Tipparos (both in terms of food and service - also, the one time we went in, there were a whole lotta flies, plus a very strong “fishy” smell).
https://www.yelp.com/biz/chaokoh-cuisine-pasadena

Bay Poke, at the intersection of Sierra Madre and Colorado (in the Vons shopping center) is now open, though they still have hiring signs looking for prep cooks and staff. That parking lot is a complete mess and only getting worse.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/bay-poke-pasadena-2

Yes Sushi, on Colorado between Madre and Rosemead is apparently switching to AYCE in September: it’s an okay place for gloopy rolls and such and service has usually been decent, but last time we went service was horrible and the food was not very good. Our server spent much of the time talking with the sushi chef about PITA customers, falling tips, and their anger at/frustration with the owners.
https://www.yelp.com/biz/yes-sushi-pasadena

Also tried the new Starbucks at Foothill/San Gabriel: it’s a drive-through with a walk-up window and a grand total of three parking spots. Parking lot design is pretty much textbook for how not to have a functional/safe/intuitive traffic pattern.

(Though, if one is so inclined, it’s pretty amusing to watch all the confused drivers trying to figure out how to get into the drive-through without hitting other vehicles. Lots of multi-point turns, horn tapping, and people giving up in frustration and leaving. A traffic engineer would want to slit to their wrists.)

Walk-up window had no menu display and they’ll add stuff to your coffee for you but “aren’t allowed” to give you the cream/milk or sugar to mix it yourself. As someone who’s really particular about how they like their coffee made, this isn’t a great set up for me. Others may feel differently.

Our guess is it’s some sort of a prototype store design: would definitely recommend it goes back to the drawing board.

1 Like

They supposedly have Dole whip, though. I park on the roof to avoid that parking lot.

1 Like

So do we - enter off of Walnut, though that blind corner as you’re exiting is scary: many near misses with pedestrians and bicyclists.

So does Swirlz Soft Serve Parlor in San Marino on Huntington (I need to write up a separate review for them at some point).
https://www.swirlzsoftserve.com/flavors - They need to update their site.

1 Like