Juicy, Crispy Japanese Fried Chicken Made with Love and Care - Pikunico - Grand Opening [Thoughts + Pics]

Your reports are always such a pleasure to read! Thank you.

Thanks @Bob_Brooks. Hope you get a chance to try it.

Finally got around to trying Pikunico! Mrs. WireMonkey, Mama WireMonkey and Pop WireMonkey shared everything below (photo courtesy of Mama WireMonkey).

I donā€™t have lot to add to whatā€™s been said above except that Iā€™m firmly in the pro-Pikunico camp. I definitely agree that the salads are awesome texturally and tastewise and have an interesting savoriness. Mrs. WireMonkey did unfortunately think that savoriness gave them a uniformity of taste that she didnā€™t love which I understand. Still, I think itā€™s more likely that now weā€™ve surveyed all of them weā€™ll just pick the one we like next time we visit so thatā€™s not a problem.

As for the chicken, it could be a touch more tender but Iā€™ve noticed that non-commodity meat sometimes has different characteristics like a slight toughness balanced by other qualities like deeper flavor and this chicken definitely had great flavor. Also, with respect to @Chowseeker1999 in the OP I found the chicken to be almost obscenely crunchy rather than crispy. Iā€™ve literally never had a louder bite of food in my life.

One worrisome thing I noticed was that we were only one of three groups eating there at noon on a Sunday. While this may account for the great quality of the food it makes me anxious about the future of the restaurant. It certainly wasnā€™t for lack of foot traffic generally because just around the corner Smorgasburg was absolutely crammed with people. Hopefully this was just a fluke but truly all the shops were pretty slack- walking through ROW DTLA was like being at the bottom of a canyon.

5 Likes

Hi @WireMonkey,

Thanks for the report back. :slight_smile: With regard to the batter, I figured it might change. When we went during the Grand Opening period Chef Kuniko mentioned that she was still tweaking the batter recipe. She wanted to make it gluten-free for consideration to those that couldnā€™t have gluten, and I noticed the batter actually change by our 4th visit (but I didnā€™t write about it yet). So itā€™s good to know her batter is now a crunchy variety (ours during the Grand Opening was definitely on the lighter, crisp side). :slight_smile: Thanks.

I might have been a touch facetious about the subjective merits of crispiness vs. crunchiness in my reply. :slightly_smiling_face: Whatā€™s for sure is itā€™s some of the LOUDEST fried anything Iā€™ve ever had (in a good way).

tweaking the batter recipe

Thatā€™s interesting that sheā€™d tweak it in consideration for those that donā€™t eat gluten- itā€™s my understanding that potato starch coatings naturally result in a crispier/crunchier coating than your average AP flour as mentioned in a scattering of articles over the years. I thought that the resulting chicken being gluten free was just a side benefit.

Oh, also for those mentioning how small the portions were, they told us that thighs were done by weight with 1/2lb per order which was pretty substantial for us.

1 Like