July 2016 weekend rundown

That is not at all what I expected to see when you wrote “unagi (eal) pie”. It looks like a palmiere. Is it savory or sweet?

[quote=“paranoidgarliclover, post:34, topic:3671”]
Cafe Tropical.
[/quote] Definitely worth it, if you’re in the area.

I like the atmosphere at Zinc too @chinchi.

1 Like

Wasn’t entirely thrilled with my pistachio and hazelnut gelato from Bonaventura Gelato Lounge in Marina Del Rey. The flavors were quite muted.

I swooned over my mushroom molcajete from Loqui. I usually get their tacos, but their molcajetes are quite a generous proposition. They have the same ingredients: cotija cheese, beans, rice, mushrooms, and guacamole, but the portions are much larger. You also get two tortillas and salsa on the side. I must say that everything was nicely seasoned, and the mushrooms were smokey and swoon-worthy. I had lots of leftovers, so I topped my tarako (cod roe) pasta with the mushrooms - such a good mash-up.

Proof Bakery posted an enticing photo of their pies on Instagram last night. Alas, by the time we got there this morning, they were all sold out. However, I spied the shishito and padron pepper baguette sandwich on their counter and snapped one up. Oh my heavens, @Chowseeker1999, it was my dream sandwich; thanks so much for the recommendation! How did I not know my life was incomplete?! It was earthy, comforting, and by turns extremely spicy. Well, I’m definitely hooked. It’s probably my favorite sandwich of the year so far.

The peach tartlette wasn’t too shabby either. The fruit was still unctuous and had nice texture.

9 Likes

Yeah, I didn’t get any eel flavor. It is basically a really tasty palmier with vanilla and butter as a prominent flavor with a hint of macadamia nut and brandy.

3 Likes

Hi @MaladyNelson,

Nice report. :slight_smile: For Gelato have you ever tried Bulgarini Gelato yet? I think you’d enjoy how fresh and pure the flavors are (pure fruit, nuts, etc. distilled into Gelato form). :slight_smile:

Love that Shishito Pepper preparation at Proof. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Lunch at necco (on Westwood Blvd.)…

The All-In-One Plate:

Truly delicious. The quality of the ingredients really shine through.

8 Likes

No, I haven’t tried Bulgarini Gelato yet. I made an attempt to try them a long time ago, but they were closed, so I was pretty disappointed about making that long drive for naught. Sadly, I hardly ever get out to Altadena. I’ll have to make some sort of excuse to drive out there, especially since I hear that their pistachio gelato is exquisite.

Oh yes, that shishito and padron pepper sandwich was just sheer perfection. Thanks so much for the recommendation, @Chowseeker1999! You have greatly improved the quality of my life, I must say.

I almost went to Necco for my birthday, @J_L. After seeing your gorgeous photo, I must really have a meal there soon.

1 Like

Got out of work early on Friday, headed over to Tentenyu and got seated immediately. Had the Tsukemen with egg. The egg was done so well. Loved the chicken dipping broth. It’s wonderfully chickeny rich but not so rich you have to tap out early.

Tsukemen

The egg

Later that night, tried Silog down in Torrance. It’s supposed to be Filipino fusion but I found it very traditional. They were out of lumpia and the adobo ribs by time we got seated. Bummer. We got the longanisa and tocino combos. Appetizers of the adobo chicken wings and sisig.

The wings were typical fried wings, I didn’t find any adobo flavoring in it. Non of that distinctive balance of flavors with vinegar, garlic, bay leaves and pepper that make a good adobo. The sisig was more like a pulled pork version rather than the traditional bits and parts. But the seasoning was done well, the green onions and chicharon on top gave it a good textural difference. I would be pretty happy with this and a bowl of white rice washed down with a San Miguel.

Combos came with a small side salad, garlic fried rice and an egg. Your typical silog. The fried rice and egg were prepared well, although I like a heavier hand with my garlic fried rice. Egg had plenty of runny yolk. The tocino seasoning was well balanced, not too sweet, meat tender. The longanisa was juicy but not fatty with a nice grind and texture, no big bits of fat. In the pic, I started digging in to split the portion in half before I remembered to take pics. Overall, I liked this place although I’m not entirely sure what they’re trying to do differently. It’s a nicer setting than your typical turo-turo joint but the food isn’t that distinctively different.

Still, I’d probably give them one more shot to try the lumpia, the adobo ribs and some of the other dishes.

Wings

Sisig

Tocino

Longanisa

4 Likes

Hi @MaladyNelson

I’m with you. I prefer fillings w/my bread or tortillas on the side. Looks really good. Where’d you get the Tarako Pasta?

Not surprised the Peach Tartlette was good. Eat as many peaches as you can folks! Now is the season!

Good report Malady. Thanks.

If you can’t make it to Altadena, try their cart downtown.

2 Likes

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:46, topic:3671”]
try their cart downtown.
[/quote]You’ve been holding out on me. It doesn’t come with Italian Movie Night. But distance wise, will be much easier to try his delicious gelato.

First time posting photos, excuse whatever happens. Hatchet Hall.

Hoecakes w crab salad and country ham. Can eat like a taco.
Ice box cake. Like tiramisu w. Coffee cajeta-like sauce.
Rabbit schnitzel w. cucumber/dill sour cream and some sauce that when cream hits it turns to stroganoff like sauce.
Game hen with buttery sauce that is great to dip hen, or really anything, in. Delicious okra on smaller plate. Wife thought best fowl ever. We sucked the bones.
Blue lake beans w bacon and onions, coursed out w. Schnitzel .
All very more-ish.

8 Likes

Forgot to say, longer, more detailed post, with nits picked and hoecakes elaborated upon in Hatchet Hall thread.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the info, @PorkyBelly! I’ve been meaning to see the Ruth Asawa sculptures in the Revolution in the Making exhibit at Hauser Wirth & Schimmel. What better excuse to try some great gelato at the same time!

2 Likes

626 Night Market

Lazy Bear
Lazy Bear is one of those places that have designed their theme to get Instagram likes. They make different curries and the rice is in the shape of a bear. The crab curry is good, albeit a smallish portion for $10.

Cloud Food Creations
Shaped cotton candy, again for Instagram likes. My son enjoyed the cloud poop emoji one.

9 Likes

Cloud poop emoji cotton candy - brilliance.

2 Likes

Forgot to post last weekend’s rundown.

Dune

Bub and Grandma’s Sourdough Toast and Morro Bay Avocado + Heirloom Tomato:

It looks beautiful and ridiculous at the same time. We weren’t sure how to tackle it at first (it’s unwieldy), but once you get a bite with all the elements, it’s a pretty delicious rendition of Avocado Toast. :slight_smile:

Like @ipsedixit, we’ve avoided the Avocado Toast craze for a while. The Sourdough Toast was nicely toasted and crunchy, and the Morro Bay Avocado base was creamy, buttery, savory and balanced with the herbs and Heirloom Tomatoes. It was Spring-like and not very heavy.

Dune
3143 Glendale Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90039
Tel: (323) 486-7073

Kee Wah Bakery

Thanks to a recommendation from @ipsedixit, we stopped by Kee Wah Bakery to try their Egg Tarts.

Egg Tart:

This was the first of 2 types of Egg Tarts they had. This was the standard type found at Dim Sum restaurants. Kee Wah’s was still toasty warm (not piping hot though, unfortunately, but we realize getting there at the right time is the key for that). It was sweet, creamy, the pastry was flaky. A pretty good Egg Tart (and better than the cold Egg Tarts found on most Dim Sum carts (cooked hours ahead of time)).

Portuguese Egg Tart:

This was way more fragrant than the standard Egg Tart. It tasted like Vanilla was added in? I wish we were able to get these fresh out of the oven (not sure what times they release a new batch throughout the day), but even at a slightly warm temperature they were nice.

Century Egg Dome:

Ah yes. And here we have the stupid dare from one of our friends, noticing the oddly named “Century Egg Dome” label on this pastry.

I was thinking, “There is no way they actually use a real Century Egg inside a sweet pastry?!” :sweat_smile:

Then we sliced it open, and indeed the gasps started to roll out LOL: :scream:

Is this seriously a traditional Chinese pastry? I called up one of my friends who was knowledgeable about this stuff, and he said, “Yes, this is legit.” Took a bite.

After getting over the visuals, it’s actually strangely tasty! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: The outer pastry shell is flaky and with its neutral flavor, it helps to dilute the Century Egg’s sulfuric qualities a bit, but the Egg itself is also creamy, and then there’s a sweet Ginger Pastry Cream that helps to counter / complement the Century Egg. @ipsedixit and all the experts, is Kee Wah’s rendition a proper version? :slight_smile:

Kee Wah Bakery
150 W Valley Blvd.
San Gabriel, CA 91776
Tel: (626) 280-2515

Sunny Blue

Stopped by Sunny Blue after @MaladyNelson recommended the place. I love Onigiri, but outside of Izakayas, we haven’t really sought them out much.

Shiso Ume - Japanese Pickled Plum with Fresh Shiso Leaves:

First of all, the Nori wrapper was crisp! :slight_smile: Each bite gave you a nice little crunch, and I love Japanese Ume (Pickled Plum), and the fresh Shiso Leaves were so aromatic (just as lovely as fresh Basil). :slight_smile:

Miso Mushroom - King Oyster Mushrooms and Enoki Mushrooms Sauteed with Homemade Miso Sauce:

Sadly, this one was undone by the large King Oyster Mushroom sitting at the center being too chewy and undercooked, which resulted in you trying to break up the King Oyster Mushroom into bite size pieces as you took a bite, and the Miso was too salty. :frowning:

Stewed Pork:

They had a Stewed Pork Onigiri which was OK. It was savory, and felt like a non-traditional offering. The Rice and Nori were still fantastic though.

Hijiki - Seaweed, Shiitake Mushrooms, Tofu, Green Peas and Carrots:

This was tasty. Hijiki was lightly sweet (but not too much), tender with a little bit of bite. The rest of the vegetables were soft and cooked to nice tenderness.

Wasabi Tsukudani - Fresh Pickled Wasabi with Pickled Konbu:

But our favorite was the Wasabi Tsukudani Onigiri! Visually it doesn’t look like much, but the burst of Wasabi, tempered by the Pickled Konbu (Kelp) gave this Rice Ball a fragrant, spicy, eye-opening kick, but also with a delicious savoriness. The crisp Nori and warm Rice were wonderful as well. :blush:

Sunny Blue
2728 Main Street
Santa Monica, CA 90405
Tel: (310) 399-9030

Baroo

Much has been said already about this strange, experimental place. It seems a bit polarizing to various members here. I held off on going for so long because of it.

Baroo is in a rather nondescript, humble little strip mall along Santa Monica Blvd., with no signage. Walking in, and you’re greeted by a few small tables and you’re face-to-face with a wall of Fermenting Things.

House Fermented Kombucha with Elderflower:

We wanted to try the Rose version since @kevin raved about it, but they were sold out. I’ve had Kombucha before, but not like this: It’s super tart, funky and somewhat refreshing. :open_mouth: Not sure I’d order it again.

Celeriac (Handmade Pasta) - Celery Roots, Celery Crudite with Pickled Mustard Seeds, Celery Ash, Crispy Jerusalem Artichoke, and Edible Flowers:

I think this dish summarizes the dichotomy in reaction by most visitors here: You look at the ingredients (written in large letters on the wall), and then eat the dish. Then you look at the ingredients again.

It tastes like an elevated version of Fettucine Alfredo, or maybe a Beef Stroganoff without the Beef, but slightly different. :stuck_out_tongue: There’s a slight tang, but it’s also savory and rather tasty.

But it’s strange. You see the fancy / exotic ingredients, you see the prep work done in the kitchen, and the taste is somewhat familiar but strange.

Kimchi Fried Rice - Pineapple, Fermented Kimchi, Amira Basmati Rice, 63 degree C Sous Vide Egg, Gremolata, Pineapple Jalapeno Salsa, Surple Potato Chip, Roasted Seaweed, Toasted Buckwheat & Quinoa, and Micro Greens:

This is another strangely disconnected dish. I can see why some people order “Kimchi Fried Rice” and you have expectations and then you taste Baroo’s version.

This tastes nothing like a standard “Kimchi Fried Rice” at all. We were mentally prepared after reading all the differing views on this place, so I was just prepared to eat weird flavors LOL.

It’s spicy, salty (not overly so), almost tastes like there’s Anchovies in this (but there’s not), with a bit of sweet as well. There’s no great wok crisping going on here. So as a “Fried Rice”? I think it’s disappointing. But as a “What did I just eat?” strange, new taste? It wasn’t bad, and rather tasty in an “alternate healthy take on a dish” sort of way.

Baroo’s Ragu Style (Handmade pasta) - Spicy Faux Oxtail Ragu, Tendon Puff, Gremolata with Heirloom Cherry Tomatoes, Krout Powder, Three Years Aged Parmagiano Reggiano:

The ingredients sound like it’s some kind of extravagant, unique pasta dish, but the taste is that of a delicious, but standard “Beef Ragu Pasta.” It’s not bad at all, but for all the “mad scientist” PR and articles written about Baroo and its chef, we felt like we were eating a clean, “chef version” of a Beef Ragu Pasta, but nothing unique.

Noorook (Koji) - Mixed Grains with Job’s Tears, Kamut, & Farro Grains, Roasted Koji Beet Cream, Concentrated Kombu Dashi, Toasted Seeds (Sunflower & Pumpkin) & Macadamia Nuts, Fingerlime, and Rose Onion Pickle:

This was probably the most unique dish at Baroo, and one that finally lent credence to the “What the hell did I just eat?!” reaction some people ask after going to Baroo.

The Noorook is nutty, slightly tart, and definitely unique. We’ve tasted nothing like this before.

But is it good? Is it tasty? I think so. It’s different, but the composition is such that, the combined ingredients come together to make a dish that is pleasing to the palate, although strange.

In the end, I think “Experimental Fermentation” is probably one way to describe Baroo. Is it the most exciting / greatest new restaurant in L.A. (as named by one famous magazine)? Out of our group that went that night, only 1 person thought it was really unique and outstanding. The rest of us felt some dishes were interesting and very unique (Noorook), while other dishes were well-executed, but ultimately “Alternate Vegetarian” versions of familiar dishes. I enjoyed my visit to Baroo, but it wasn’t something I found myself craving the next day.

Baroo
5706 Santa Monica Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90038
Tel: (323) 819-4344

http://baroola.strikingly.com/

5 Likes

Chow your pics and reviews are always stunning . I always enjoy them . And I don’t even live in LA . Thanks

Our entire party really liked the crab curry.

Yes. As proper as one can expect nouveau Cantonese bakery foodstuffs to be.