July 2016 weekend rundown

Hit up sushi tsujita–sorry, no pics. Had the chirashi and a soup with seaweed, kelp, sea beans, and fish cake for $18. Love this place for lunch–great deal, serene atmosphere–exactly what I need after a tough work week. Remains one of the best deals in town.

1 Like

Gorgeous photography, as always. Sorry it hear it wasn’t so tasty (at least, not initially)…

1 Like

Thanks so much, @paranoidgarliclover! I really wanted to love Chargha House, especially since the owner was so welcoming. Perhaps I ordered the wrong thing or the chef was having an off day. I’ll give them another try in a month or so.

Happy National Ice Cream Day!!!

Brought some McConnell’s Vanilla Bean ice cream home, and topped it… er, rather, slathered it with the Harry’s Berries gaviota strawberry compote I had prepared.

Good Lord. Summer in a bowl.

11 Likes

Hiyashi (cold) ramen from Santouka (West LA)…

Paired with a nice ikura don, this was a great summer lunch.

7 Likes

Awesome @J_L. :slight_smile: Brilliant idea to use Harry’s Berries Gaviotas on McConnell’s Ice Cream! /jealous :wink:

1 Like

SOHO HOUSE
A coworker who is a member invited us for dinner, and so we went, because why not? I’d never considered going before as I subscribe to the Groucho Marx philosophy of clubs, but turns out, it’s a nice place for a visit for a night. The rumors of the grand view are true. What a view of the city to feast your peepers on. Spectacular. As was the cocktail I had that included celery gin, chartreuse, yellow pepper and cracked black pepper and a leaf of some sort. Food-wise, I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised. Nothing terribly exciting, but everything was solid.

MAYURA
Much more my speed, Mayura continues to be a place of comfort and mother flipping delight. I hadn’t been for quite some time, but I won’t wait so long to go again. We had the masala dosa, a palak paneer and fish curry. Everything was great, and the staff was as friendly as you’d like.

LITTLE DOM’S
Another place I hadn’t been to for quite some time. Found ourselves in the neighborhood and stopped in. Had to wait at the bar for a tick while a table opened up, but glad we did, because the cocktails at the bar were pretty dang great. A blood orange swizzle and some stone fruit concoction. Both were spot on. Then came time to sit, and so we sat, and had a great time. I love that place. It was only my third visit ever, but I felt so comfortable in that booth, eating no frills spaghetti & meatballs and a glass of red. Also tried the pizza with home made sausage and the eggplant parm special. Both were tops. I wish I lived closer so I could go every Monday for the $18 dinner deal.

2 Likes

White Castle Las Vegas…and yes it was wonderful.

7 Likes

Sunday dinner at Canele. It had been years since I’d last been. Unfortunately last night’s meal was disappointing. My branzino was fine, but my partner’s lamb burger was salty to the point of being inedible. I had a bite and told him to send it back but he didn’t want to make a fuss (and our server didn’t come to check on us until my plate was a pile of fish bones & skin). Not likely to return.

2 Likes

I’ve always subscribed to the Groucho Marx philosophy too - but would make an exception for that view. I hear it’s great.

Girls Day Out in DTLA - Breakfast, shopping and more.

Bottega Louie - My ears are still ringing. It’s lovely. But the acoustics, oh boy. They don’t accept reservations, but it’s so big we usually don’t wait long.

Raspberry Beignets - I think where BL shines most is in the patisserie and sweet treats.

Lobster Hash - Poached egg, hollandaise, lobster, potatoes, sautéed brussel sprouts.

Soft Boiled Egg, Pain de mie (sandwich bread) toast points, potato pancakes, turkey sausage. I was glad these were breakfast links. Often you order turkey/chicken sausage on a breakfast menu and they serve a big, honking, Italian seasoned poultry sausage.

They had very good Bellinis. Nice touch serving iced tea w/simple syrup & 3 types of citrus.

Plain & Chocolate Croissants (smushed a little) - I’m not up on shatter & such. The plain may be a little doughy to some. But I like that they have a little more substance, less big air pockets. The choco had a nice soft ganache on the inside.

The patisserie is charming and extremely enticing.

Macarons - I’m spoiled by Lette Macarons. These were more sweet than anything. The fruits & extracts weren’t pronounced. The insides were like softened butter. Choco Salted Caramel was the best.

Everything is beautifully presented. But I think the restaurant serves what @ipsedixit might call gussied up diner food. Still, it has something for everyone, including pizza & burgers.

Afterward I tried to find the illusive Bulgarini Gelato Cart at the HWS Gallery on 3rd in the Art District. I confirmed he’s there almost everyday at 1pm. Except the day I went!

On the way home picked up dinner -
Pollo a la Brasa in K-town. Delicious, slightly smokey rotisserie chicken, aji sauce, w/very good black beans & rice, fresh salad w/chilled veggies.

Nice Sunday!

9 Likes

Boysenberry Cream Pie from Apple Pan, which I brought to a friend’s house…

4 Likes

Uh… is this consistently available?

Boysenberry pie is my favorite type of pie, but oddly hard to find with awesome whipped cream like that. God dayum that looks perfect…

Wow… Apple Pan? How was it? It looks delicious.

Yessiree… It was so damn good.

The guy at Apple Pan says the boysenberry pie is in short season. Since this was available just last weekend, I suspect they might still have it, but obviously I cannot guarantee… Good hunting to you.

Gonna make a call tomorrow, thanks!

fingers crosseddddddddd

1 Like

At the end of the day old school places like Apple Pan are going to make better pies. Clementine (who I like) and especially Pie Hole can’t hold a candle to the old recipes. Looks really great J_L.

2 Likes

*Fixed error w/beignet photo. They were probably the best bite of the day.

Deleted

Brief rundown.

Wadatsumi sukiyaki bowl (I think that’s what it was called. No soup or hot pot, but the beef is sukiyaki style). I’ll be honest; I didn’t take a HUGE difference btw the wagyu beef in this prep and the “normal” stuff I’ve had b/f, but the dish overall was really tasty. I let the egg sit too long b/f I broke into it (waiting for partner’s dish to come). Still, the egg had a lovely texture.

Pomegranate for dessert. See review elsewhere.

Bouchon (kouign amann)

5 Likes