July 2018 Weekend Rundown

I say we extend the weekend to the 4th.

Happy 4th of July everyone.

4 Likes

Nigiri madness, Shunji Japanese Cuisine…

9 Likes

On a diet again?

Told you not to worry; I’d be buy you a larger pair of socks in no time.

3 Likes

Yes, the seefood diet.

How many people is that for?

Sergio or no Sergio, I love Cheko El Rey Del Sarandeado in Long Beach. Both the food and the people are always great, and it’s a lot less crowded than Coni.

The jalapeño serrano lime salsa deserves a picture just because it is addictive:

Ceviche Rey (shrimp, fish, octopus, jicama, tomato, onion, habanero-mango sauce):

Cucarachitas (fried shrimp in spicy butter sauce):

IMG_1722

Pescado Zarandeado:

Small haul from the Torrance Farmers Market this morning:
Super spicy (5 scoops of habanero) salsa from La Fiesta Movil.
Goat and cow’s milk blend Broncha cheese, cheese curds, cultured butter, and strawberry kefir cheese from Achadinha Cheese Company.
Harry’s Berries strawberry preserves and Seascapes. I got there too late and they ran out of Gaviotas. :disappointed: I love Seascapes too, though.

Also from the market, some very good tamales. Carnitas, green chile & mexican oregano, and blue corn, roasted green chile & monterey jack:

11 Likes

Let’s see… Six pieces of everything…

Just me.

4 Likes

I’ve been carrying my little bottle of anchovy juice everywhere and adding it to everything.

6 Likes

Don’t forget your bottle when you hit up Father’s Office.

Finally made it over to Pearl’s bbq to try them. Ugh, just no. Ordered a half pound of the fatty. The brisket was stringy tough, sliced haphazardly. The whole place smacked of all hat no cattle.

Do you normally bring your own condiments to restaurants? I’ve never seen anyone bring their own ingredients to a restaurant to “fix” a dish.

I often bring truffle oil (yes I know it’s fake) to eat my McDonald’s fries when they are still piping hot.
Lao Gan Ma chili oil helps lots of food go down better also.
And of course, smuggle in some ketchup to Father’s Office.

5 Likes

All the breakfast standards, done right at Mel’s Drive-In (as in drive in right off the 10-Fwy)…

5 Likes

Obviously you are not sticking to your seefood diet.

2 Likes

Happy National Ice Cream Day!!! These 3 scoops of yumminess from Atticus Creamery & Pies are (left to right): Watermelon Milkshake, Honey Honeycomb & Sweet Summer Corn…

4 Likes

Watermelon milkshake here still haunts me.

I went back a second time the same day to buy a pint of it. Best damn watermelon ice cream (NOT sorbet!!!) since Tokyo.

3 Likes

Pretty good takoyaki (but not as good as EAK Ramen’s) at the newly opened Rakkan Ramen in Redondo Beach. I was not a fan of the ramen, so didn’t bother with a picture. Bland broth, chashu had a weird aftertaste, overcooked egg, etc. :disappointed:

3 Likes

Had a nice dinner at Bluegold last night. With a 7PM reservation, we were able to catch the sunset from our window side table. Service was great…we felt welcomed and well taken care of. Dinner was pretty good, too. We can see ourselves coming back here on a regular basis.
Crispy Brussels sprouts - walnuts, fontina, vincotto vin. I really enjoyed this…it was like eating chips with melted cheese.

Yellowtail sashimi - cucumber, quinoa, chili-coconut lime vin, pomelo. This one was a clunker…there was gristle in the yellowtail, and it didn’t seem cut properly. The sauce was nice…I liked the pomelo and lime with a hit of Fresno chiles. My husband ordered it because he loved the yellowtail we had at Raku in Vegas…look at him…finally game enough to order a sashimi-style dish.

Milkrolls - hazelnut honey, citrus conserva. These are what happens when milk bread and Hawaiian rolls have a baby. Piping hot out of the oven…I was in love.

Lamb chop frites - roasted eggplant purée, ratatouille, persillade. The lamb was perfectly seared and medium-rare inside. The lamb was just the right amount of gamey, which contrasted nicely with the bold flavors of the ratatouille. It came with some really lovely French fries…that I forgot to take a photo of.

Halibut - garlic rapini, crispy garlic chips, truffle butter. A new menu item, and apparently the healthiest, too. The halibut was gently steamed and super moist. The garlic rapini was nicely cooked, and who doesn’t like garlic chips?

Key lime pie - creamy key lime curd, meringue, candied ginger, mint. A solid rendition, but Fishing With Dynamite is still the best in the area.
Our splurge for the evening…a 2000 Spring Mountain Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon. It paired so well with the lamb!

Obligatory view with cocktail shot. It was their Davy Jones made with rum, citrus…and I can’t remember the rest…it was very refreshing.

It was a very nice evening out. We even hopped across the street for a walk on the beach before calling it a night. Would happily return.

8 Likes

Soft shell crab at Hatchet Hall was so very good I had to post it twice.

2 Likes

Looks great, but my favorite part of your report is the “obligatory view with cocktail shot”. That’s the best kind. :wink:

2 Likes