July 2019 Weekend Rundown

A5 Wagyu from Wolfgang Puck.

My friend brought me dinner. It literally melts in one’s mouth. I’ve had wagyu, but never anything on this level.

6 Likes

That’s a good friend!

3 Likes

All this talk about Carnitas and then the Netflix Doc meant that a trip to Zamoras was in order…

We arrive a bit past peek dinner time so a lot of the evening Carnitas Batch was a bit picked over… still… we found some nice pieces to take home…

!

The Chicharron section was VERY nice… Airy… meaty and inbetween… We like the inbetween because it retains it’s crunch even in salsa…

!

We have yet to try one of these Lamb heads… but they are quite popular and contain quite a lot of meat!

!

At check out we saw they had Papalo and Verdolagas… So I picked some Verdolagas up for tomorrow’s breakfast of Huevo con Weenie…

But first… DINNER!! Another thing that Zamora makes sure you don’t leave without is their handmade Tortillas… they are plumpy… but very delicious and quite pliable… SUPER warm when they hand them over to you. Also, they have several salsas for sale, but we like their roasted Salsa de Molcajete.

Cut it all up… juicy tender carnitas with a bit of chew at the edge!

And TACOS! Since this is L.A… I had to have them with a smear of Ducal… and Guac from another local market… With the crispy bits from the chicharon and fire from salsa… the most was of this handful of porkiness…

18 Likes

Good report @Dommy! Full of flavorful knowledge. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Went to Bar Ama for a DineLA lunch, thinking I might not like it given the mixed reviews, but it was a pretty good meal.

Massive Chicken Milanesa Torta with arbol chilaquiles.

Churro Funnel Cake - this is what drew me in - a marriage of light, crispy funnel cake with churro flavors of cinnamon, drizzled with syrups and topped with vanilla ice cream. It was really ooey gooey like a sticky toffee pudding.

5 Likes

Le Mirage (Anaheim Little Arabia)

Arabic Ice Cream.

Perhaps the only place that I know that serves Arabic ice cream. I never even knew this existed.
Flavor: creamy, slightly sweet, floral/piney, studded with pistachios.
Texture: more firm than traditional ice cream.

Interesting.

For some of you in LA this might be worth a drive over.

Glad to try it, but personally I can’t get past the floral notes.
For reference at Mashti Malone’s and Sweet Rose I avoid the ice cream with rose water

3 Likes

Jiang Nan Spring

Got the Shanghainese classics!!

I love the Lions Head here! The top fat layer of the Dong Po Pork is a small piece of heaven. The fish…the fry was a miss for me.

Get the Lions Head. The owner told me the secret is adding a little tofu

4 Likes

LOL - It’s the worst kept secret in Chinese cooking.

Had bartz bbq at la ale works some of the best bbq I’ve had in Los Angeles ever, although admittedly that’s a relatively low bar.

We did the 1lb ghost pepper pork ribs which weren’t too hot well balanced sauce, 2 lbs of brisket lean and fat (way better than slabs), 1/2 lb of burnt ends using pork belly instead of the traditional brisket portion, bbq spaghetti, pastrami lamb shank and a host of sides smoked cream corn, jalapeño cornbread, bbq beans, and bacon Mac.

Smoke and tenderness were perfect for all of the meats, fat and lean brisket we’re super juicy. Ribs were fall apart tender but still maintaining appropriate meatiness. Pork belly burnt ends were revaltory as I never knew such things existed.

If you ever see them pop-up Please check them out.

3 Likes

Is that chilaquiles inside??

1 Like

The weekend paella, from La Española…

Strawberry ripple ice cream, from Kansha Creamery…

Antipasti assortiti, from Cafe Angelino…

Bastille Day: Watching Jenga history being made on the lawn just before start of dinner service, as the Summer of Ludo & Gilles at the Montage Beverly Hills rolls on…

5 Likes

Corrected, yes chilaquiles according to printed DineLA menu.

1 Like

Is $10 the new baseline for noodles?

Jade Noodles from Sapp. $9.95 + $2 extra noodles +$2 extra meat. It’s been 20 minutes and I’m still hungry…but it’s definitely a much more appropriate size then their normal bowl.

2 Likes

I didn’t know you can get extra noodles for $2

Hi @Ns1,

There are still a few great bowls of noodles that are less than $10 menu price (but yah, it’s getting closer). Ngu Binh’s awesome Bun Bo Hue (S) is only $8.75, which feels like a bargain (and I couldn’t finish it (with all the soup)). HP Pho Ga Bac Ninh’s Pho Ga (S) is $9 and that is a huge portion as well. :slight_smile:

Bun Cha in Hanoi was the best thing we ate in Vietnam. I’m going to crave this. Went twice it was so good.

1 Like

Button Mash! damnit now I want this.

(shamelessly ripped from kevineats)
P1570170

Contra Coffee.

All nitro tap coffee and tea. Their version of Vietnamese coffee is great. The Thai Tea is great here, often an afterthought to cool down your mouth Contra does an excellent version.

Flat White @ Flat White Coffee. Korean family opens up a second store. I would give the slight edge to 2 Guns Espresso in South Bay. This is very good still.

1 Like

Peking Gourmet (Garden Grove Korean District)

I get to use my Mandarin skills here! This is Korean-Chinese joint. I noticed over the year Korean-Chinese places always do a solid Mongolian Beef. I don’t care that it’s not authentic Mongolian I love this dish! Also prettt cool to see the staff switch between Korean, Mandarin, and English! Trieu Chau in Little Saigon also has some staff members that speak a handful of languages as well.

Anyways I been craving some Mongolian Beef!

What a combination! The kimchi is handmade and is pretty damn good. This trifecta hits the damn spot.

Have to ask for a small rice bowl because Koreans think it’s bad manners to lift a bowl and scarf food down with chopsticks:

I gotta keep that in mind when dating a Korean girl!

Chinese dessert

4 Likes

Dodger Dog, Club Level… Couldn’t find them onions. Go Doyers.

Downtown L.A. lunch, featuring burrata, olive oil & sea salt, along with carbonara pasta, from Cento Pasta Bar. Chef Avner’s pasta is the business…

Tomo-san displays the bafun uni from Japan today at Kiriko Sushi (Sawtelle)…

… and for a short time at Kiriko, Ken-san has in stock GIANT Iwagaki oysters XL from Barron Point (Puget Sound, Washington)! Baked with spicy miso is the way to go with these monsters - each oyster comes with tempura shiso leaf, and also young pickled ginger. And they are gargantuan (I actually ordered a piece of mirugai nigiri just for relative size comparison). Delicious big bites!

9 Likes