July 2019 Weekend Rundown

The move at El Momo is to ask Billy for the sticky icky good stuff on the bottom of the pot with a little of that pickled jalapeño/carrot juice.

That fukin blew my mind.

4 Likes

Whoa… Must try…

Which one and how was it?

Oh WOW! I just did a search and found the facebook page of the one in Compton has nearly identical signage and offerings… So perhaps they are related…

2 Likes

Nice @beefnoguy!

1 Like

Hubby loves that place. Thanks for the reminder. Last time we went to Tacolandia he was so excited they were in the lineup. But apparently they didn’t like the location of their stall and refused to open. :smirk:

Some past eatin

Wadatsumi Torrance

Seaweed Salad - not hijiki, not bad

Shima Aji and Kanpachi sashimi - lovely, but not meet the height of Raku, the cheap shoyu was a shame for he quality of the fish

Wagyu Roast Beef - excellent, great texture and the wasabi made for a nice balance to cut through the fat

Steamed Sliced Wagyu and Vegetables w/ Ponzu - this was excellent, really fantastic that the beef fat saturated the napa underneath. Beef fat saturated foods is sorta my thing though. The ponzu was excellent and added a great balance to the dish.

Chef Choice Vegetable Kushiage - very well executed, veggies were perfectly cooked and easy to eat if I were patience enough to wait for it to cool down.

Stan’s Donuts - mothaeffinHuell

Dai Ho

Marinated bamboo with ground pork? Excellent!

Beef Noodle Soup - excellent, good amount of heat

Dat noodle action shot.

Brent’s Black Pastrami Rueben :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Sushi Kamon

Sashimi Platter - excellent, the amaebi was excellent, others were above average

Fried Squid

Fried Chicken

Fried Tempura

Luv2Eat Thai

Jade fuckin Noodles :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Spicy Beef Salad

Pork Gua Kling :fire::fire::fire:

14 Likes

The one in Beverly Hills. Very solid definitely more than scratches the itch for good dim sum w/o driving to 626

2 Likes

W

OG Luscious Dumplings.
Bok Choy. Potstickers. Pockets.
Potstickers, were good. Bok Choy should have asked stir fry with some garlic, instead of a shallow pool of soy sauce(why?). Pockets, I could use a little more chive kick and filling.

Anyone do OG Luscious>>>Hui Tou Xiang bang?

Best Noodle House.
Dan Dan Noodles and Cucumbers.
Nice salt and garlic kick to the cucumbers. Dan Dan is not what I typically grew up on (Taiwan style). Asked for “small spice”. It’s a solid bowl of noodles but for personal tastes, it was okay.

Hong Kong Cafe (Garvey x Garfield).HK Lemon Tea. Cocktail/Coconut/Gai Mei Bun. Free Soup.

I pierce the lemons in the tea. This was refreshing on a summer day. I absolutely love Canto soups! I think most SGV Canto Seafood houses have stopped serving this for free. Dim sum and BBQ gets all the love and attention but really most Cantos LOVE soup. The coconut bun came HOT and tasty. I am a coconut whore though.

There are a lot of delicious Chinese buns. Pineapple buns. BBQ Pork buns. Red bean buns. Chicken buns. Don’t sleep on some coconut buns.

Fun fact: Gai Mei=Cocktail, literally

6 Likes

Okay, good. I think you hit the hammer on the head. It’s good for this side of town. As long as folks temper their expectations it is a really good place to enjoy traditional dim sum? I hope they survive because we have so few places in this ‘hood.

1 Like

Yah, it looks really good.

1 Like

That Steamed Wagyu and Veg! I gotta try that! I need to try other things besides the beef bowls at Wadatsumi. (Still haven’t tried Red Rock speaking of beef bowls)

How do you like Dai Ho’s beef noodle soup vs Corner Beef Noodle House?

A little more filling would have made it perfect!!

1 Like

Tried and failed.

Had to come back the following week to complete the bang. Worth it for those steamed dumplings.

1 Like

Definitely try that steamed beef. I enjoyed it more than the roast beef.

I like the broth at Corner Beef and they have that amazing house pickled condiment stuff. Dai Ho North used to be a bit better for my tastes, the broth is much spicier than Corner although not killer hot, the beef and veggie at Dai Ho is more to what I enjoy. Noodles goes to Corner Beef. It think 4 years ago Dai Ho was my favorite, now I think Corner Noodle slightly edges although I haven’t been in a year or two.

1 Like

Me too. I always wishfully think what if Newport had somehow hired some dim sum chefs and done a decent dim sum along with their amazing signature lobster that place woulda been :fire:

1 Like

Howlin Ray’s line at 10:07AM…7 mins after opening

Probably 3.5 hours…

3 Likes

Yep.

They’re going to need 10 locations for the wait-times to be reasonable at any single location.

2 Likes

Yah. Although to be fair, it is Summer, prime brunch/lunch hour, school is out everywhere, vacation time, and it’s Saturday the busiest day for the restaurant anyways (and day most people can go the easiest). :wink:

Yesterday (Friday), around 3:00 p.m. the wait was only 30 minutes.

2 Likes

Too much work for me to manage and manipulate when I’m hungry and what I may crave at any one time. LOL! I am weak :slight_smile:

2 Likes