July 2019 Weekend Rundown

Is that chilaquiles inside??

1 Like

The weekend paella, from La Española…

Strawberry ripple ice cream, from Kansha Creamery…

Antipasti assortiti, from Cafe Angelino…

Bastille Day: Watching Jenga history being made on the lawn just before start of dinner service, as the Summer of Ludo & Gilles at the Montage Beverly Hills rolls on…

5 Likes

Corrected, yes chilaquiles according to printed DineLA menu.

1 Like

Is $10 the new baseline for noodles?

Jade Noodles from Sapp. $9.95 + $2 extra noodles +$2 extra meat. It’s been 20 minutes and I’m still hungry…but it’s definitely a much more appropriate size then their normal bowl.

2 Likes

I didn’t know you can get extra noodles for $2

Hi @Ns1,

There are still a few great bowls of noodles that are less than $10 menu price (but yah, it’s getting closer). Ngu Binh’s awesome Bun Bo Hue (S) is only $8.75, which feels like a bargain (and I couldn’t finish it (with all the soup)). HP Pho Ga Bac Ninh’s Pho Ga (S) is $9 and that is a huge portion as well. :slight_smile:

Bun Cha in Hanoi was the best thing we ate in Vietnam. I’m going to crave this. Went twice it was so good.

1 Like

Button Mash! damnit now I want this.

(shamelessly ripped from kevineats)
P1570170

Contra Coffee.

All nitro tap coffee and tea. Their version of Vietnamese coffee is great. The Thai Tea is great here, often an afterthought to cool down your mouth Contra does an excellent version.

Flat White @ Flat White Coffee. Korean family opens up a second store. I would give the slight edge to 2 Guns Espresso in South Bay. This is very good still.

1 Like

Peking Gourmet (Garden Grove Korean District)

I get to use my Mandarin skills here! This is Korean-Chinese joint. I noticed over the year Korean-Chinese places always do a solid Mongolian Beef. I don’t care that it’s not authentic Mongolian I love this dish! Also prettt cool to see the staff switch between Korean, Mandarin, and English! Trieu Chau in Little Saigon also has some staff members that speak a handful of languages as well.

Anyways I been craving some Mongolian Beef!

What a combination! The kimchi is handmade and is pretty damn good. This trifecta hits the damn spot.

Have to ask for a small rice bowl because Koreans think it’s bad manners to lift a bowl and scarf food down with chopsticks:

I gotta keep that in mind when dating a Korean girl!

Chinese dessert

4 Likes

Dodger Dog, Club Level… Couldn’t find them onions. Go Doyers.

Downtown L.A. lunch, featuring burrata, olive oil & sea salt, along with carbonara pasta, from Cento Pasta Bar. Chef Avner’s pasta is the business…

Tomo-san displays the bafun uni from Japan today at Kiriko Sushi (Sawtelle)…

… and for a short time at Kiriko, Ken-san has in stock GIANT Iwagaki oysters XL from Barron Point (Puget Sound, Washington)! Baked with spicy miso is the way to go with these monsters - each oyster comes with tempura shiso leaf, and also young pickled ginger. And they are gargantuan (I actually ordered a piece of mirugai nigiri just for relative size comparison). Delicious big bites!

9 Likes

Seafood excellence at Contramar in Mexico City.

8 Likes

Benihana, because the Aokis aren’t rich enough yet…

porridge + puffs: Yes, I’d be happy to pay for this level of sourcing, concept and execution…

Catered Langer’s for Friday lunch at the office…

Gave up trying to find a combination Pizza Hut and Taco Bell…

9 Likes

Have you tried PP pinch dinners yet?

Ye Olde King’s Head Shoppe, Santa Monica, made my day.

When did they even open this shoppe? It’s so great.

1 Like

This shoppe has been there for a long, long time…

2 Likes

bistro na’s

na’s assorted eight - red date crisp, yin yang sesame roll, red bean cake, sweet rice roll, crispy rice treats, cranberry walnut sweet rice ball, red bean roll, na’s white crisp
The white crisp and red bean cake (far right and center top) were possibly the worst desserts I’ve ever put in my mouth. They were chalky, stale, flavorless, and drier than a ben stein monologue. I imagine this is what those toxic do-not-eat desiccant packets would taste like, only with less flavor. The other desserts were similarly insipid.

6 Likes

Ai-ya!

1 Like

El Ruso (East LA)

Hong Kong Cafe (MP)

They now have BBQ Pork Neck

@Chowseeker1999

Cortinas

6 Likes

I did El Ruso this weekend too. It was pretty good, but a little bit on the bland side for me (I love salt!). What did you think? I also thought their tortillas, while good, were not as good as Loqui’s.

1 Like