July 2020 Rundown

No napkins either right? And no washing your hands before the drive home…

1 Like

Colapasta takeout. Casunziei still awesome. Bresaola with burrata also really good. Feel like the graminga was clear third best, but to be fair I realllllllly love the casunziei.

Everything in all-plastic containers for easy sanitizing

11 Likes

Two trips to Donut Man this week.
My observations:

1. They are doing OJT with many of their staff, be patient and understanding in their early days.
  2. Strawberry donut is a beast! But yes, a one-and-done novelty for me.
  3. This is the type of donut shop that I have been waiting for. No more of those Instagrammable donuts (Donut Friend, Blue Star, most of Sidecar)–more classics done right!

My favorites: Maple Bar, French Crullers, old fashioned, and yes, the Tiger Tail.
I did not care for: their chocolate-chocolate cake donut or the chocolate icing in general (too sweet)

Same rule applies here as for Sidecar: ask what came out last
Also, don’t be afraid to ask for (and even point at) that Tiger Claw that just came out, instead of the one that has been on the rack for a bit.

10 Likes

100%

Luckily I only work nearby two days a week. My coworkers have made daily trips.

5 Likes

Yes, please upload a photo

To be fair, the Strawberry Donut is maybe the original instragrammable donut :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Agreed. It is an attention grabber for sure. But they have solid classics to back it up. Grab 'em with the Strawberry or Peach donut, keep 'em with the strong classics.

2 Likes

rossoblu x superfine x hamilton #teamsuperfine

spoiler alert hamilton and the pie dies

valbruna’s eggplant, tomato sugo, basil, parmigiano reggiano

erbazzone, 24 month prosciutto, stracchino, arugula

grilled pork meatballs, fennel and orange salad, fennel pollen, aged balsamic

tortelloni, butter, sage

maltagliati, pioppini mushrooms, dandelion greens, saba

grilled game hen, dates, preserved lemon, tuscan kale

chocolate budino, lemon mascarpone, plums and cake croutons

queen margarita add sausage x pepperoni
@TheCookie

18 Likes

In case there are FTCers thinking about ordering Vespertine’s Cuba tasting menu this month, the add-ons are also worth looking into:

The chicken rice dish came in it’s own 8 inch paella pan! I also ordered the nonalcoholic sugarcane “Guarapo” drink (pictured after pouring) and the “Hotel Nacional” cocktail, both packaged in easy to store and pour bottles. The Tres Leches cake was also quite notable with its textbook perfect sponge cake (not the foam mattress-like cake versions some bakeries produce) and topped with real whipped cream.

PS: I only ordered 2 drinks, but other cocktails available to order are the “Hemingway Daquiri,” “Mojito,” and “El Presedente.”

13 Likes

How were all the other courses? I ordered for next weekend.

Steak taco at Sonoratown. Loved the taco. Great tortilla, better than expected hot sauce and steak had a nice char. Maybe it helped that I was the 2nd person in line right when they opened. Chivichanga and bean cheese burritos for later.

Pork chop bun at PRD. Messy and delicious. Scarfed down at the table in front of Howlin Rays.

Brought home a lot of extra food for later. PRD was out of Meiji Tofu so will have to buy some at Tokyo Central. Mushroom chow fun and char sui pork.

13 Likes

:heart_eyes:

Made a cocktail and biscuit run at All Day Baby after the HFM. I really enjoy their Jack & Coke slushy.
Rolled down to Konbi to try…
Omelette sandwich on Cream Pan bread! Thanks @Chowseeker1999! It was delicious while still piping hot. I had one section in the car, and my chowpup finished it when I got home. It was nice to have a more savory version of tamagoyaki…versions I’ve had before are usually sweeter…not that I’m complaining.

Egg salad on Cream Pan…this is pretty delightful. It is more mayo-ier than the OG EuroPane version, but the flavors are reminiscent of their egg salad. The oldest chowpup said it was the prettiest egg salad sandwich he’s ever seen.

13 Likes

I almost made another stop at Konbi or Superfine after PRD and Sonoratown but I really had to go to the bathroom. Had to drive back before I had an accident.

I must have angered the Meiji tofu gods somehow. Ran out at PRD and Tokyo Central.

5 Likes

Pandemic Portable Restroom

(This is what I used when I drove across country lol)

17 Likes

So sad to know you are not going to play in our neighborhood for a while. Wishing you lots of good East Coast eats!

5 Likes

I was at Tokyo Central Gardena (The Artesia one) and the same thing. I guess maybe it was because of the holiday. :frowning: We’ll be having MaPo Nasu instead…

3 Likes

I have a todo list out here:

-Katz Pastrami
-Primanti Brothers Sandwich
-Frank Pepe’s New Haven style pizza
-DiNics Philly Roast Pork
-Lobster rolls!!!
-Maryland Crab Cakes

As for Asian food…Vietnamese, and Korean I’ll pass and save for a annual trip back home. It will be very hard to beat my favorite spots in Koreatown and Little Saigon.

Chinese…I am excited for NYC…so many spots in Manhattan, Brooklyn, and Queens!

We’ll see if hard work and luck come my way I may be back to CA sooner!

Till then I am going to keep the pulse on things back home

16 Likes

Anyone went up to the observatory to see the greatest firework show?

Do you know any South Bay Japanese spots that uses their tofu?

I would stop at Federal donuts in Philly as well. And the black label burger at Minetta Tavern.

1 Like