July 2021 Rundown

Hit Smorgasburg again today (slightly cooler weather, a nice breeze, and less of a crowd made for a pleasant afternoon).

Bridgetown Roti

I’ve done the doubles before out of their Crafted Kitchen location, and these were the freshest I’ve had. I’m a little bummed there wasn’t the option to add goat like there has been in the past, but they were still great.

IMG_6727

The Bad Jew

I’ve been circling The Bad Jew for awhile, and this was finally the first time I was able to snag them. Using their “porkstrami” that’s served hot, they’ve got a take on a sandwich similar to Langer’s #19 and a reuben on their short menu. Thankfully, they allow you to order half and half of each.

The Danny Boy is similar to the #19, but uses havarti cheese instead of swiss. It’s messy, but satisfying.

IMG_6724

The Reubecca though is really where the porkstrami shines. It’s definitely a rich and indulgent bite, but the Reubecca let’s the fatty cuts of meat shine more. I don’t really even know if it needs the havarti there, but it was one of the best items I’ve had at Smorgasburg in awhile and one that made me miss hitting Ugly Drum there even more.

IMG_6725

IMG_6726

17 Likes

Back to Zacatecas Restaurant in Hawthorne

Carnitas
Crispy carnitas with grilled veggies instead of rice and beans.

Camarones a la Plancha

I’m a pro. I bring my own scooping fork that I carry in a felt-lined wooden case.*
:point_down:t2::point_down:t2::point_down:t2::point_down:t2::point_down:t2::point_down:t2::point_down:t2::point_down:t2::point_down:t2::point_down:t2:

*ok, not really. I just got a really bent curvy fork

Carrots were crispy and oiled. Wifey tried to stab one and the “flying carrot” landed between the seat and the wall.

Luckily she has an advanced medical degree and was able to use the silverware to get it out.

12 Likes

I’m in town. Unfortunately I had to take FMLA because my mom is sick. I need a double double

9 Likes

:pray: for her to get well soon!!

8 Likes

Welcome back and pray your mother gets better. We have missed you!

3 Likes

Lindo Michoacán 2 in Anaheim across from Packing House.

Menudo is served here everyday! Locals come here for the menudo and other soups. Sometimes you will see a Tia come in with a empty pot to fill it up with the menudo. Offal is well prepared.

Handmade tortillas. Chilaquiles. Salsa Aceite for a $1 more, a long lost cousin of Chinese chilli oil (great cuisines think alike!).

Pair it with Monkish when they open across the street. Good place for breakfast before Disney as well

11 Likes

Just thinking…everything knows salsa roja and verde. Those are great and all. But salsa aceite and salsa negra are far more tasty, interesting, and complex

7 Likes

Hope your mother is recovering well and you’re getting some time to do a PRD x Needle bang bang!

10 Likes

Hit 101 Noodle Express yesterday, same as it always was.

Any suggestions for spicy beef tendon somewhere on the Westside or SFV?

4 Likes

Can anyone confirm if LA rainbow umbrella fruit carts are also doing Mexican fermented drinks? (Fermented pineapple rind pictured here Tepache)

They are all over today in Anaheim. Delicious! What’s better than fresh fruit, lime, chamoy, and taijin on a summer day?

5 Likes

Can confirm they are all over LA/OC.

1 Like

Tikiyaki in Orange still the best teriyaki chicken in OC. Ask for the habanero teriyaki sauce.

Late night donuts at Friendly Donuts in Orange. Vegan I might add! Maple bar and apple fritter. Damn it I should have got a ham cheese jalapeño croissant as well.

My first day back I had authentic Mexican food, Mexican fruit cup, teriyaki chicken, and donuts! I’ll still need to get some pho, In-N-Out, and breakfast burritos!

19 Likes

So glad you are back in town!

2 Likes

I know you already had donuts, but is there space for Oliboli (if you haven’t had it already)??? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Definitely going to try and make it to Oliboli! I can’t believe you drove all the way from Westside for those donuts.

I find myself craving more comfort food and things that the East Coast lacks.

3 Likes

I’ve driven from West LA to Glendora just for Donut Man (before they opened at GCM - yay!), and to Tustin just for Oliboli as well. They’re both that good… #WhatWouldJimLeffDo

8 Likes

George’s in Boyle Heights is serving my [very favorite fries.] (George fries - Google Drive) and is a solid contender for #1 burger stand. Small menu, great shakes and if they have a special featured that day, check it out.

Attn @hanhgry et al. This place has Beyond and Impossible burgers, and sausage for easy substitution into the breakfast sandwich. The place doesn’t use lard in the beans or tortillas, so a fast casual vegan Mexican meal is easy to get.

4 Likes

Howlin’ Ray’s Pasadena. Wings and Mario Fries.

12 Likes

Lan Noodle

I really like the triangle shaped noodle! It’s indented and slightly twisted. The broth is a lot more subdued compared to Taiwanese style. Still tasty, but not as complex/interesting.

My Grandma’s review: “Mamahuhu” (so-so, average, mediocre)

10 Likes

Indeed 馬馬虎虎 there.

Better LanZhou hand-crafted noodles are to be found at Northern Cafe in Monterey Park.

4 Likes