Jun Won Dak

still in soft opening but the full menu is now available. ooe was perfect :hugs:

there’s a small seating area inside if you want to dine in. they take cash or venmo for now and they close at 6.

18 Likes

They’re back! Can’t wait for the black cod.

3 Likes

@PorkyBelly I called Jeff at 6:30pm today and missed out on my Samgye-Tang :laughing: Still craving for it. Possibly the best Samgye-Tang in Ktown imho :two_hearts:

2 Likes

Besides the cod how were the other dishes?

1 Like

10th heart. Chicken soup looks fire.

2 Likes

So happy! Just in time for the cold weather!

2 Likes

they were all delicious. travels and reheats great.

2 Likes

I made up my mind. My fav dish from their menu is this:
1,660 likes, 34 comments - MAMA (@mamamealtalk) on Instagram: "JUN WON IS BACK. JUN WON IS BACK. JUN WON IS BACK. 

It’s been a long journey, but after 2 and ..."

There is something so darn comforting and right about the way Jeff’s Umma does this dish. A usual comfort dish you can easily find around here, but I can’t get this version off my mind. Something about it is very perfectly made than any other versions I’ve tried since growing up.

The soup is more flavorful, the texture of the chicken is just right, ain’t too mushy, or overcooked like the what you would typically find around Ktown. And most importantly, the rice stuffed inside has more flavor, better texture and mix up so well with everything. Their sides and simple but much more delicious…

Anyway, I have a crush on this Ginseng Chicken Soup, so don’t skip it. Jeff’s Umma wanted to make it so badly for a reason…

I wanna learn how to make it, haha. All I want at this moment is their Samgye-Tang :two_hearts:

4 Likes

Uploading: IMG_1791.jpeg…

WOW. Best. Food. Ever.

10 Likes

6 Likes

Banchan:

That kimchi was some of the best I ever had. The other banchan Jeff said was some type of fern. Meaty texture. Never had anything like it.

Sam Gye Tang:

I’ve had this soup before but wow. The broth was so good and the sticky rice had dates, garlic, and gingko nut. Most places the gingseng overpowers the soup. This is probably the best you can get. Jeff gets the herbs from Korea.

Dak Dori Tang:

That sauce is so addicting. Just enough spicy for me. One of the most flavorful dak dori tang I ever had.

Speaking with Jeff. He really likes this place for the simplicity. The size, small menu, less employees. I think it’s just him, mom, and another assistant in the kitchen. Not that it matters but it’s interesting that the assistant is not Korean. I love the cod but I’ll be back for the galbijim. It seems like these 4 dishes are constant.

Is Jeff’s umma the best cook in Ktown? Yes!

6 Likes
1 Like

Nice thanks @robert

Have you had it before?

Yeah, it shows up in banchan once in a long while. Had no idea what it was the first time I had it and had some trouble identifying it. Korean markets have it dried or frozen.

1 Like

Gosari is also a main ingredient in yukgaejang, spicy beef stew. I like how all the long thin vegetables integrate with the shredded beef, so with each bite you get a different mix of textures and flavors. Each ingredient seems to absorb the broth in a different way.

Also if you’re lucky, some places will put gosari on their bibimbap.

3 Likes

I never even noticed that with yukgaekang lol.

Never seen it in a bibimbap I did see a bibimbap with Korean thistle ( I have no idea that is lol)

1 Like

Back for the galbijim.

Kimchi, cucumbers, and a side of samgyetang.

Jeff said for Koreans it is now considered samgyetang season. As always the food is so damn good it really is one of my favorite restaurants.

1 Like