June 2017 Weekend Rundown

Flavor Garden / Zui Xiang Yuan

The new incarnation of the restaurant @ipsedixit @secretasianman @chandavkl originally recommended that was sold, reopened, then sold again, we finally decided to head out and try it. :slight_smile:

Flavor Seaweed Slices:

Cool, refreshing on a hot day. Not too salty with nice Garlic notes.

Chinese Cool Cucumbers:

Funny name, but definitely cool and refreshing. :slight_smile:

Green Onion Pancake:

These were crispy, but too oily. :frowning: They said they handmade them in-house (according to our friend who speaks Mandarin).

Shrimp, Pork & Sea Cucumber Dumplings:

Handmade fresh daily, their Dumplings had a pretty nice chew and was about medium thickness for Dumpling skin. The Shrimp, Pork filling was evident, but none of us found any Sea Cucumber. Did it melt? :sweat_smile: Or maybe they just gave us the Shrimp & Pork Dumpling version by accident?

Overall a very solid Handmade Dumpling! Definitely the highlight of this meal. :slight_smile: Thanks @ipsedixit @chandavkl @secretasianman.

Ton Ton Pan Fried Bun:

These were Shen Jian Bao (according to our friend who read the Chinese name on the menu). They were sufficiently crispy bottoms, but were a bit messy in construction: You can see from the pic above, we had about 3 of the Bao that had broken open before they arrived to the table, so there was no liquid inside.

Pretty solid flavoring (and nice with a bit of Chinese Black Vinegar), but not the best Shen Jian Bao we’ve had before.

2nd Visit:

Cool Wood Fungus (Wood Ear):

These were delicious! :slight_smile: Nice and chilled, they were marinated, cooked Wood Ear Mushrooms, with a nice seasoning of Garlic and another herb I couldn’t quite make out. Refreshing.

Boiling Vegetables - A Vegetable:

Flavor Spicy Wontons:

They were completely overcooked, being really mushy. :frowning: The flavoring was also pretty basic compared to the more fantastic versions at Szechuan Impression and Best Noodle House.

Chinese Style Leek Pork Pie:

Also made in-house, these were nicely crispy and crunchy on the outside. The Marinated Ground Pork & Leek filling was seasoned just right, juicy and fragrant. :slight_smile: They tasted similar to the ones we had at Beijing Pie House last year.

Fermented Rice with Rice Balls:

The interesting thing about this Dessert was that the restaurant claimed to make their Rice Balls in-house, stuffing it with Black Sesame Puree. We were hoping this might be another place for @paranoidgarliclover’s love of Black Sesame Desserts, but alas it wasn’t meant to be.

First off, these Handmade Rice Balls are huge! They were larger than Hard Boiled Eggs, whereas most Chinese Rice Ball Soups have smaller versions.

They also added too much of the Fermented Rice Wine, so it was a bit overwhelming (tart, boozy). And at that large size, it’s too much Rice Mochi, although the Black Sesame Puree was tasty.

(Cash Only)

Flavor Garden / Zui Xiang Yuan
1269 E Valley Blvd.
Alhambra, CA 91801
Tel: (626) 284-3549

Alexander’s Steakhouse

I’m not really a red meat, gigantic Steak fan, and hearing the mixed reviews of Alexander’s Steakhouse when it first opened up didn’t really make us excited to try it. But a friend of ours excitedly told us about a “Whole Roast Pig Dinner” at Alexander’s, which sounded like it could be delicious so we decided to go, even with the crazy traffic.

When we showed up, the hostess spoke these fateful words that made us regret the entire trip: “So glad you could join us for the L.A. Times Food Bowl event…” :sweat: :rage: :sob:

The entire month, we’ve been avoiding the absurdity that is the L.A. Times “Food Bowl”… and after hearing @CiaoBob’s awful experience and others, I was so happy we managed to completely avoid it… until now. :frowning: We half-jokingly blamed our friend for failing to disclose this was actually a Food Bowl event, and not just an Alexander’s Steakhouse recurring dinner of some sort. :stuck_out_tongue: But I was really worried…

It turned out that it was a self serve affair, and the appetizers started with…

Lechon Kawali (Creamed Taro, Patis Vinaigrette):

This was pretty tasty, little cubes of fatty Pork. It was already cold sitting out at this event, even though they just brought it out (meaning it probably was prepared an hour or two earlier).

Pig Ear Salad (Tomato, Herbs, Pea Shoots, Sesame):

This was the highlight of the Whole Roast Pig Dinner (which is great for this dish, but sad in general). Crispy Pig Ears made for a nice counter to the fresh Herbal Salad. A touch overdressed, but delicious. :slight_smile:

Chicharron (Edamame Hummus, Pickled Shallot):

This was pretty brilliant: Using Chicharron (Fried Pork Skin) as the “Crackers / Pita” to spread some Hummus onto. Decadent and interesting in theory, but the Edamame Hummus was really thick and dense, although the Chicharron was nice and crispy.

Whole Roast Pig:

At this point, we were chatting with some of the staff, asking about how often they make Whole Roasted Pig, etc., and one of the kitchen staff let slip, “Oh this is our first time.” :expressionless:

I got a little worried but seeing a whole Roast Pig there with its deep gold-orange hue… I held out hope. But looking closer we noticed how messy and uneven it looked:

I sat back and watched the kitchen staff stare quizzically, unsure of how to start breaking down this Whole Roasted Pig. :frowning:

They were half cutting, hacking and finally started breaking down part of the Roasted Pig in a semi-orderly fashion. It took so long from the time they displayed the Roast Pig until they were serving, we sat back down inside and ordered some drinks.

Hotel Nacional (Lime, Cane Sugar, Pineapple, Apricot, Rum):

This was quite good. Nicely balanced, not overly heavy on the Rum, with enough of the Apricot and Lime coming through. :slight_smile:

They ended up serving the Whole Roasted Pig in Taco form (or just meat by itself), so we started with:

Roasted Pork Shoulder Taco + Ancho Salsa:

Roasted Pork Shoulder Taco + Salsa Verde:

The Pork was flavorless. :frowning: :cry: It tasted of someone trying to roast some Pork and not having the seasoning or marinade permeate the meat. It was a bit chewy and dense.

The dominant flavors were just the various Salsas they provided.

Roast Pork Skin:

We asked for some of the Roast Pork Skin, which should be the jewel and highlight of a Whole Roast Pork. The color looked nice. The Skin was inedible! We couldn’t even chew through one bite of it, it was so dense, hard, and undercooked basically. :sob: :confounded:

Roasted Pig Ears Taco:

We then thought about how tasty Roasted Pig Ears might be, so we excitedly went back to ask them for a bit of the Pig Ears. They were… undercooked, and really hard and chewy! :cry:

Roasted Pork Rib + Roasted Skin, Attempt #2:

Since it was the whole animal, I thought, why not see what the Roasted Pork Rib might taste like? Turns out we were the first to think of asking them for that, so they chopped and hacked away and took out a Rib for each of us.

The Rib meat was slightly more tender, but still completely underseasoned (almost no flavor except medium-well Pork meat, with no Salt). :frowning:

The Skin was slightly edible now: We noticed one of the kitchen staff was taking off the Skin and putting it back on the Coals to try and cook it some more (no doubt they tried it as well and realized it was inedible). This time, they said “it’s ready!” and it was very dense, but we could chew through it (barely). Sigh. :weary:

Roasted Pork Belly Tacos + Salsa Verde + Chorizo Mayo:

In our last attempt at hoping to get any tasty meat out of this Whole Roasted Pig, our friend smartly thought about, “Why not ask them for some Pork Belly?” So off we went, and they started to break down some of the Pork Belly area for us.

This was much better, a mix of fatty and lean Roasted Pork, far more succulent and moist and tender than any of the previous pieces. But sadly, it was still pretty much underseasoned. But thanks to more of the Pork Fat and the Salsas, it was OK at this point.

We noticed that there were huge chunks of this Roasted Pork that were rare (bloody), as they were breaking it down.

From the undercooked Skin to the bloody parts of the Pork to the flavorless Roasted Pork in general, it was clear that this kitchen staff had no idea how to properly roast a whole pig. It seems like we, the customers, were being used as guinea pigs and just served whatever mess the result of their whole Roasted Pig first attempt was. :unamused:

Wild Turkey Diamond Anniversary Whiskey:

To perhaps drown our disappointment (well I let everyone else enjoy this firewater, I could only handle a sip :sweat_smile:), we tried a few Whiskeys that Alexander’s Steakhouse’s Bar seems to specialize in (it turns out they have a large menu of Whiskeys). We started with this Wild Turkey Diamond Anniversary offering.

The only memories I have of “Wild Turkey” is not pleasant and something from my college years. :stuck_out_tongue: But the amiable bartender promised this was something completely different. And it was! This Diamond Anniversary blend is something pretty smooth, and nothing like the standard “Wild Turkey” I remembered.

Nikka Coffey Malt Whiskey:

I was always curious about Japanese Whiskey, and this one was quite pleasant (but still “dangerous firewater” in my book! :stuck_out_tongue: ;)). But it was very smooth and soft, and the most enjoyable of the Whiskies I sampled.

Cadenhead Small Batch Single Malt Scotch Whiskey - Aged 28 Years at Highland Park Distillery:

Our friend let us try some of this Cadenhead Small Batch Whiskey. Its intricacies are lost to me; I thought this was too harsh for my palate. :cry: But everyone else was sitting around enjoying this so I just sat quietly and let them sip some more. :slight_smile:

Barbacoa (Mezcal, Citrus, Chipotle, Agave, Meat):

I was shocked to see a paragraph on this house Cocktail, named after one of the most famous Cocktail at the now defunct Rivera in Downtown L.A. It turns out the main bartender at Alexander’s Steakhouse was a protege of Rivera’s founding barman, Julian Cox, who made some of the best Farmer’s Market-driven Cocktails in L.A. that I’ve ever had.

This Barbacoa tasted similar to Rivera’s, even down to the wedge of Beef Jerky added to it! :smile: This was delicious: Spicy, balanced, a touch of sweet, citrusy.

Overall, the Whole Roasted Pork Dinner at Alexander’s Steakhouse (part of the L.A. Times Food Bowl) was a disappointment. :frowning: While 2 of the appetizers were fine and pretty tasty, the actual Whole Roasted Pig was just poorly cooked, poorly seasoned, and just not very good. At $90 per person(!) it felt even more like a massive letdown. Avoid any future Roast Pork dinners at Alexander’s.

Alexander’s Steakhouse
111 N Los Robles Ave.
Pasadena, CA 91101
Tel: (626) 486-1111

Monterey Palace Restaurant

So upsetting was the Whole Roast Pork dinner we had at Alexander’s and the other recent Roasted Suckling Pig dish at Rossoblu, we made a nice trek out to the SGV to visit Monterey Palace…

Roasted Pork - Hong Kong Style:

We took a bite: Moist, juicy, tender, super crunchy, crackling, perfectly roasted Pork Skin!

This was SO GOOD! :heart:

As we were eating, I kept thinking, “This was made for @PorkyBelly!” :grin:

It was also perfectly seasoned as is, but the additional Hoisin Sauce is there for those that like a bit of sweet / savory taste.

And in the ultimate @Ns1 QPR win: This glorious Roast Pork dish was $7. And far better than the $90 we spent at Alexander’s Steakhouse for their disastrous Roast Pork.

And from our last visit (albeit 2+ years ago or so), this could be any Cantonese / Hong Kong BBQ, like Sam Woo as well (just as cheap and good). These folks know how to actually cook a Whole Roast Pig properly.

(To-Go BBQ Side is Cash Only)

Monterey Palace Restaurant
1001 E. Garvey Ave.
Monterey Park, CA 91755
Tel: (626) 571-0888

Chakan Sul Lung Tang

After enjoying our visit to one of the OG Sul Lung Tang restaurants in Koreatown, I wanted to try more places to see how much better it could get. Chakan was recommended to us by one of our dear Korean friends, who said this was her favorite place.

Chakan’s claim to fame is that they say everything they use is USDA Certified Organic ingredients and All Natural Grass Fed Beef, with No GMO, No Added MSG, etc.

Complimenatry Banchan:

They only have 2 complimentary types of Kimchi, but they were both nicely flavored, and not overly fermented / funky.

Beef Bone Soup with Brisket:

For those that haven’t had Sul Lung Tang, it is a long-cooked Ox Bone Soup, which you season yourself. It looks very plain and rather unremarkable, but it’s nice, warming and a clean, simple type of Soup on those days you feel like something less fancy. :slight_smile:

Be sure to season with a bit of Salt and Green Onions (add only a little bit of Salt at a time):

After adding in the Salt and Green Onions, Chakan’s Sul Lung Tang comes alive. It is very clean tasting, very lightly beefy and nourishing. :slight_smile:

I think we liked Han Bat a bit more, but I appreciate the Organic / Grass Fed Beef / No GMO angle here. They also let you choose Potato Starch Noodles (or Rice Noodles), so it’s nice for those that want to avoid white carbs.

Chakan Sliced Boiled Beef Plate (Brisket, Tongue, Honeycomb Tripe, Leg Tendon, Head Meat):

They also offer a nice Sampler of multiple cuts of Boiled Beef sections. Of this sampler, I loved their Slow-Cooked Beef Tendon and Honeycomb Tripe the most. :slight_smile:

And for customization, if you’re not a fan of the traditional Brisket, you can order Sul Lung Tang with Tendon Only(!) which is fantastic. I can’t wait to try that next time. :slight_smile:

Chakan Sul Lung Tang
543 S. Western Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90020
Tel: (213) 388-5088

Master Ha

And around the same time that my friend mentioned Chakan, I remember reading an Eater article from @matthewkang about another No MSG, clean Sul Lung Tang place called Master Ha.

Complimentary Banchan:

These were the fresh-style of Banchan, not the super funky, fermented stuff, and really nice with the Sul Lung Tang.

Master Ha’s Ox Bone Soup + Ox Tail:

I immediately noticed that this one looked creamier and even tasted creamier (no dairy) than Chakan and Han Bat’s version.

Seasoning the Soup:

And it really transforms it into something wonderful:

There’s a good, delicate beefiness to each sip, and the Brisket was tender, but we also liked the Ox Tail as well. :slight_smile:

And one thing I liked at Master Ha’s over the other places was the option for the Korean Mixed Grain Rice (to stay away from just plain white Rice):

Master Ha’s might be my favorite Sul Lung Tang place in K-Town right now, but really Han Bat and Chakan have their own unique characteristics as well (e.g., Chakan’s ability to customize having Beef Tendon Only, or Head Meat Only, etc.).

Master Ha’s
1147 S. Western Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90006
Tel: (323) 998-0427

Healthy Zone 52 / Jook Hyang

I’ve always been curious about the Korean Chicken Ginseng Soup dish, Samgyetang, having seen it at multiple restaurants since the very first few times I ever explored K-Town and Garden Grove years ago. It looked delicious, but no one I went with ever felt like ordering it.

While having a terrible name, Healthy Zone 52 came strongly recommended from one of my dear Korean friends who said she loved eating this whenever she felt sick and wanted to recover, so since we were already in K-Town, I finally remembered to try this dish and this restaurant. :slight_smile:

Buckwheat Tea with Ginseng(!):

You could tell they were serious about Ginseng when even their complimentary Buckwheat Tea comes with Ginseng in it. :slight_smile:

Banchan:

Their complimentary Banchan was quite good, and they had a decent selection.

Ginseng Chicken Soup with Abalone (with 9 Kinds of Herbs):

The surprise addition to their Ginseng Chicken Soup is that it comes with a Live Abalone(!) (cooked). You could see the Seafood Tank in front, filled with Live Abalone. The Abalone was delicious, tender and lightly seasoned in the Chicken Broth.

The actual Chicken Ginseng Soup was very light, with only a touch of Salt. I wasn’t sure if we were supposed to add any more Salt (I didn’t see a bowl of Salt like at the Sul Lung Tang restaurants), so we figured it was supposed to be as is.

Splitting open the stewed Chicken, it was stuffed with Sticky Rice, Chestnuts and Dates among other things.

Overall it tasted like a pleasant, warming Chicken Soup, albeit a bit too light in seasoning for my tastes. :sweat_smile: Still I was really glad to have finally tried this Korean dish and will keep it in mind when I’m in the mood for something lighter. I still want to try the other Ginseng Soup place LAGirl @TheCookie mentioned and see how it compares. :slight_smile:

Healthy Zone 52 / Jook Hyang
3177 W. Olympic Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90006
Tel: (213) 487-5002

Myung In Dumplings

While we drive through Koreatown often, I never got a chance to try Myung In Dumplings until now.

Made famous by Anthony Bourdain and his TV show (and you can see an autographed pic of Mr. Bourdain with Chef David Chang on the wall), it’s a simple establishment with a few booths and a brightly lit menu above the cash register (almost like a fast food establishment).

Sam Sun Mool Man Du (Boiled Dumplings with Shrimp, Pork and Vegetable):

These are Handmade Boiled Dumplings. We could see the kitchen staff making them fresh, which was nice. They had a nice chew, and were medium thickness for Dumpling Skin.

The filling was fine: Marinated Pork, Shrimp and Veggies. However, these Mandu tasted just like Chinese Dumplings. As in, exactly alike, except these weren’t “quarter moon shaped” like Chinese Dumplings.

I’ll leave it to @ipsedixit and all the experts on Dumplings to chime in, but they tasted almost exactly alike. My Korean friend could clearly hear the kitchen staff speaking Chinese.

Either way, they tasted fine, I just wasn’t sure why these stood out over Handmade Chinese Dumplings (or vice versa). :sweat_smile:

Wang Man Du (King Steam Dumpling with Pork and Vegetables):

While the menu lists them as “Steam Dumpling,” they were clearly Steamed Bao (very similar to Chinese Steamed Buns (Bao) seen all over the San Gabriel Valley). Except the ones at Myung In were slightly larger.

But they were quite fluffy (made fresh to order), and the stuffing was delicious! :slight_smile: Finely chopped Ground Pork, Vermicelli Noodles and Vegetables.

Overall, I’m glad to have tried it, but I’m not sure what its unique characteristic is that would make us visit it, over other Handmade Dumpling Houses.

Myung In Dumplings
3109 W. Olympic Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90006
Tel: (213) 381-3568

Revolutionario

Since @bulavinaka had been asking about Merguez dishes, I wanted to make sure Chef Zadi’s Merguez was still on the menu and still as good as last time, so off we went. :slight_smile:

Mint Tea:

As refreshing and minty as before. Perfect for this weather. :slight_smile:

Fried Cauliflower with Spiced Salt:

This was delicious. Tender, nicely seasoned, with a bit of Ras el Hanout, they were a nice starter. :slight_smile:

Beef Brisket Barbacoa Taco:

Sadly, their Beef Brisket Barbacoa Taco today wasn’t as amazing as it used to be: The Beef lacked that deep, gamy beefiness from before, perhaps Chef Zadi switched purveyors? And it was a bit chewy. :frowning: The seasoning was still wonderful, though.

Chicken, Preserved Lemon and Olive Tagine Taco:

I’m so glad to see Chef Zadi keep his wonderful Chicken Tagine on the menu (on Weekends Only though). :slight_smile: Note that it’s seasoned enough as is. No need to add any more Salsas or other seasonings.

The Chicken was really tender and moist and it’s also offered as a Bowl (over Rice and Beans) if you prefer.

Merguez Sandwich (6" French Roll, Harissa Mayo, Tomato, Arugula):

And the reason we stopped by: Chef Zadi’s Handmade Merguez Sausage Sandwich! Chef Zadi’s North African roots shine through here with a wonderful Merguez, deeply Lamb-y, gamy, and nicely spiced. It’s more nuanced than most Merguez we’ve had around L.A., and bulavinaka, it is indeed dripping with Lamb drippings and so tender and juicy! :blush:

They offer it in Taco or Bowl form, but Chef Zadi personally recommends it in his favorite form: Merguez Sandwich, on French Baguette sourced fresh from a local baker. The Baguette is slightly crisped, has a nice subtle crunch, and is perfect with the gamy Merguez Sausage.

Definitely one of the highlights of the weekend! :heart:

Revolutionario
1436 W. Jefferson Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90007
Tel: (424) 223-3526

9 Likes

Oh man, any pics? How is that? It’s hard to find aged duck!

Ohh, I keep seeing this sandwich, but people made it sound like it’s not always available. Is it just luck of the draw when this place makes these?? Looks divine!

Anyone else here a fan of the absurdist dish dorilocos? haha

I have a real weak spot for these, they contain nearly every imaginable flavor and texture sensation haha :smiley:

Also tried out some tacos are Guerilla Tacos. Skirt steak and potato was really tasty, felt like a nice deal at $5, super great portion for $5.

The squid was absurdly well prepped, better than most sitdown restaurants, though the gooseberries were perhaps fruitier than you might want, it was quite interesting, and the earthly chile de arbol worked wonders on it.

In the other direction I tried out that Tacos El Guero place on Pico/Hobart. Sadly none of that suadero everyone always talks about :frowning:

Pastor tacos were pretty good, but I think I like Leo’s better (when they get the trompo out), a touch dry and not quite savory enough. Leo’s usually manages really thin slices that are juicy and deeply spiced when they get the trompo out.

Got some Slat n Straw after that…my least favorite ice cream in LA. I was fooled by the tastes of the rhubarb and walnut seasonal flavors. When I actually got a full cup worth they were so sickly sweet I couldn’t finish it, and the texture was weird after a couple of bites. Really prefer that Gresescent place downtown over these guys. I don’t get the huge lines, but I guess everyone else probably just prefers their ice cream sweeter than I do or something, ah well!

6 Likes

sorry, no pics.
the duck was excellent. a little denser in texture than other
ducks i have known; some pieces – it’s served sliced – a little less moist than i expected, but
not alarmingly so.
hard to remember a better duck i’ve had in a restaurant.

1 Like

@Chowseeker1999, I love you man!

Friday was my kids first day of Summer vacation so we started out with breakfast at Du-Pars in Pasadena.

Afterwards, we headed to Santa Monica to witness the first annual Salvation Army National Donut Day World Donut Eating Championship. Joey Chestnut won with 55 donuts and Miko Sudo came in second with 41. My son was happy just eating one donut.

For dinner, we hit up Beetle House, the Beetlejuice/Tim Burton themed pop-up restaurant in Hollywood. The dinner there isn’t worth the money ($40-$45 prix fixe menu) but the decor is pretty neat. It’s also a bar so you can go and just get a drink or two if you want to check it out.

6 Likes

There were so many Food Bowl events so I guess it is kind of hard hard to make a blanket statement.

One of the events I went to was really great - the Beast Feast downtown. An excellent sit down meal from great chefs with lots of options of food and drink. Pricey at about 250/pp but worth it.

One was such a terrible waste of money - the Gold Medal Wolfgang Puck “dinner.” Great panel but for 250/pp one should have a place to sit and an easy way to get food. Some of the food was good, some not so good. And there was not much of it, long lines for the two stations and not many wait staff passing by with food. It really sucked food wise and price-wise but was a pleasant enough evening.

2 Likes

Hi @CiaoBob,

Thanks for the info. What were the highlights you had at Beast Feast?

While not a great sipping whiskey, I it’s great for making a twisted Quick Fox.

I think even a hummingbird on amphetamines would be envious of your metabolism. Great report as always.

3 Likes

Pretty much everything:
Testa salad
Quail from FEniger and Miliken
Cimarusti’s Raw bar
Bludso’s Rib tips and brisket - fantastic.
April Bloomfield’s Grilled Lamb
Dario Chechini has a lovely warm beef shin sala
Fergus Henderson’s delicious beef heart was good but a bit lost in the giant roll

Great beer and booze and wine selections plus easy BYO

1 Like

Thanks @ipsedixit. :slight_smile: Besides Tasty Garden, where else would you recommend getting some good Handmade Dumplings these days? Thanks.

Remind me to invite you over next time we make some.

But in the interim …

• The vegetarian dumplings at Happy Noodle are good (but then you knew that already)

• The Lu Cartel (i.e., Mama’s Lu, Lu Dumpling, Dean Sin World) are all generally passable if you want dumplings

• I think the fish dumplings at Ahgoo and Qing Dao are both noteworthy, though not necessarily exemplary

• The pork dumplings at Luscious is always a nice stand-by (yes, the steamed ones, not the more famous pan-fried iteration)

But these days, with mama ipsedixit back home in the States, really no reason to go out for dumplings.

3 Likes

That looks great and needs to be in my belly, thanks @Chowseeker1999. If you’re in little saigon check out the @bulavinaka and @Dommy approved suckling pig at New Duong Son BBQ. Hmm, maybe we should have a roast pork DOTM…

5 Likes

Thanks @ipsedixit. Bookmarked, very helpful. And you’re so lucky to get great handmade dumplings at home! :slight_smile:

What do you mean? Lucky?

P’shaw. She puts me to work …

4 Likes

Thanks @PorkyBelly. Yah compared to the disaster Pork at Alexander’s / Food Bowl event, Monterey Palace was the complete opposite and so good! :slight_smile: Even without the disaster, it would still be so good. :smile:

Oh yah, New Duong Son BBQ. Thanks for the reminder, bookmarking it, it looks delicious. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your reporting is just outrageous. I couldn’t even find where you tagged me while scrolling through that post.

4 Likes

Thanks @Ns1. :slight_smile: It was in the 3rd restaurant in my post (Monterey Palace). Have you been yet? Great QPR on the Hong Kong-style Roast Pork. :slight_smile:

Yep! We actually just went to a wedding there and the roast suckling pig was a perfect 5/7. Definitely one of the best I’ve ever had.

1 Like