June 2017 Weekend Rundown

My husband decided to throw me a surprise dinner at our house and (since it was the same crowd) we recognized the boys’ school promotion ceremonies from the beginning of the month. The spread was some of my favorite things…spicy tuna rolls and various sushi rolls; shawarma (chicken and beef) lamb kebabs, rice, hummus, salad, and garlic sauce; rolls from Broadard; strawberry croissants from Cream Pan; he subcontracted my Mom for House Special Lobster and lobster noodles; chips, salsa, and guacamole; and a lovely and clever cake from Rossmoor Pastries. It was a lovely and thoughtful surprise, indeed…and I have an insane amount of leftovers for the week.

Ran out to Portsmouth with some friends for dinner, and only managed to snag a picture of their salmon poké tostada…new menu item, but a nice riff on the original inspired by the chef’s most recent vacation to Hawaii. They’ve also added a lovely cioppino to the menu that I think is more a Manhattan chowder-bisque with seafood than cioppino…but still very good.

9 Likes

The unicorn was sighted (and consumed):

Ollalieberry pie from Mother Moo.

Eating this pie is heaven on Earth. Bless whoever farmers hybridized (yes, that also mean genetically manipulated) blackberry/dewberry/raspberry lines to create this wondrous fruit, for it is perfectly sweet for pie filling, while retaining just the right amount of tart “berriness”…

10 Likes

man that pie looks so not gloppy. and not gloppy is good.

in other news, went to belle vie and tacos los anaya this weekend.
would return happily – well i never really do anything happily, but knowhutimeanright?-- to both.

3 Likes

Hybrid or cross breeding is not genetically modifying. It’s no different that what created the Labradoodle (Or any dog over the course of thousands of years of human interference) Genetic modification starts at the cellular level, not “Lets put one branch of this tree on this other one”

Best!

–Dommy!

What the heck does botanical grafting have to do with what I said?

BTW I specifically did NOT use the word modification. I said manipulation. What Gregor Mendel did with pea plants back in the 1800s (which formed the basis for all current biology teachings on basic genetics and Mendelian inheritance) was manipulating plant lines (and not grafting of branches either). And those genetic changes happen at the plant DNA (cellular/molecular) levels.

As someone who has spent a fair share of my time in an academic virology lab (and has been published), I’m kinda comfortable with my knowledge of biology…

1 Like

What is the difference to you exactly? Changes are taking place on a cellular level either way.

Does anywhere else make pies with the mutant berries? Or is this place just the best one?

I’ve looked long and hard for the olallieberry pie in SoCal. Mother Moo was the only place where I found it. And luckily, it was great.

i’m pretty sure they have it at pie n burger.

It’s called Chong Qing Special Noodles

1 Like

[quote=“Bookwich, post:61, topic:5824”]
I did not know about these. They are a wee bit magical.
[/quote]They must be… they’re fried and you ate 'em.

[quote=“Chowseeker1999, post:63, topic:5824”]
Jonamagashi - These were adorable! :blush:
[/quote]You took the words right out of my mouth :blush:. Ditto @bulavinaka - Nice coverage!

1 Like

Your pictures are always so good, it’s hard to tell when a dish is bad.

[quote=“PorkyBelly, post:69, topic:5824”]
tuscan style chicken liver pate - cherries, aged balsamic
[/quote]Now you’re speaking my language. How was the actual Pâté? Kinda’ meh?

Too bad about the Pomodoro. It was such a hit at Scarpetta.

I guess @Bookwich was right about Ponte not seeming very exciting or original?

Hi @paranoidgarliclover - [quote=“paranoidgarliclover, post:78, topic:5824”]
Okay, so there’s no way in hell I’m gonna be able to catch up w/ May’s rundown, but I think I can keep up w/ June.
[/quote]So it’s not just me. Get busy one month and it’s impossible catch up time.

Thanks for the Rundown… Very nice.

1 Like

You’re the one that’s the unicorn. You know about and find things with fruits I’ve never heard of. I’m still pondering the delicious looking cara cara oranges.

…And for the record, “they” haven’t proven genetically modified foods are harmful. So carry on… :relaxed:

Okay, so I should have continued scrolling - didn’t realize it was going turn into an argument. I wrote “modified” too. But only because I’m ignorant. Either way that berry manipulation in a pie looks wonderful.

Thanks @TheCookie.[quote=“TheCookie, post:93, topic:5824”]
Now you’re speaking my language. How was the actual Pâté? Kinda’ meh?
[/quote]

the chicken liver pate was more livery than most and was fine, it just needed some sweetness to balance it out. stick with animal’s chicken liver toast.

1 Like

Went to Ham Ji Park in Buena Park after the Angels-Yankees.

Proud to report that it is just as good as Koreatown. So bookmark this place for any of you OC peoples for those pork ribs.
The banchan was solid, loved the mashed squash.

3 Likes

Santa Ana New Port is just as great as San Gabriel New Port as well… Come to think of it, Beverly Hills New Port is the best location, 'cuz the food is the same, except there is no wait!

2 Likes

The one downside we noticed was the lack of live seafood choices. We were told that the kitchen only has so much of certain items. And the tanks must be in or by the kitchen because we didn’t see any.

We went for New Year - need to get that whole fish to open up 2017, right? No whole fish - live or otherwise - until later for dinner service.