June 2019 Weekend Rundown

SGO WeHo? How was it?

In short, I understand why they got 2 stars while Hayato ended up with 1 despite minor shortcomings. In general, the combination of flavor and texture of their otsumami are head and shoulder above almost everything that Mori and Hayato offer.

As far as sushi goes, I feel that I can get similar quality offerings at Mori with Maru-san. In fact, I slightly prefer Mori’s rice even though SGO’s rice and seasoning is exellent in their own right. There’s no issue with the rice being too toothsome or its seasoning overwheming delicate white fish. Lastly, Yohei-san’s rice formation is superb with an ungodly amount of air packed in so each nigiri has a very apparent sigh when it’s placed in front of me.

Anyway, that’s my macro view. I’m sure @PorkyBelly has differing opinion and will give you details on individual courses.

2 Likes

This place has excellent house-made noodle and dumplings which really separate themselves from 99% of SGV’s Chinese offerings.

pickled cabbage / mung bean soup - complimentary and perfect the slightly sweet soup/drink is perfect for taming the spicy dishes

steamed egg & minced pork - delicate and smooth egg custard flavored minced pork that reminds me of taiwanese braised pork

pork dumpling - fantastic Q on these porky dumplings with a sweet and chili spiked oil

clear broth zajian noodle

good texture

szechuan cold noodle - it’s damn good even though there’s no meat! Did I mention that you can get extra noodle for free?

MIAN
301 W Valley Blvd
Ste 114 And 115
San Gabriel, CA 91776

9 Likes

best omakase i’ve had in la. i’m still thinking about that fucking ankimo.

1 Like

Proper highlight…it’s foie with less of a funk but immensely creamier

1 Like

I had a decidedly less-than-stellar experience at SGO (this was back when they first opened), but I will concede that Yohei-san’s ankimo is tied for best ankimo in L.A.

I’m just a bit trigger-shy about giving them another $300+ just for the follow-up comparison.

4 Likes

I read your review again before going and I thought I would hate it especially given the $$$$. But they proved me wrong and I’ll gladly plunge down another $300 to go again. I’m actually contemplating whether I should cancel my n/naka reservation and go back there in a few weeks :grimacing:

Paging @Chowseeker1999

2 Likes

Just did n/naka last month - Worth it. No question.

Not sure I can say the same about SGO. But then again, no one else is doing top tier modern kaiseki in LA, whereas top tier sushi omakase…

It’s the complete opposite for me but my n/naka visit was back in 2015 so time to give them another shot…those fucking seats are so difficult to come by too

Not when your favorite dining partner in crime is your buddy.

Tony Khachapuri

5 Likes

Lemon pasta x2

Bulgarini:

Antico:

3 Likes

Can you describe the lemon pasta more? Is the lemon countered with olive oil, butter, or cheese?

We make it all the time when we have Meyer lemons on the tree. it’s the simple and when well done, delicious and bright. The serious eats recipe we use starts with butter, garlic and zest, then put in the pasta, then bit of pasta water, finally lemon juice and cheese.

I’m sure both dishes above are good—and I’ll prob have to talk myself into some trancendental simplicity bs if I ordered it, but man, I’m just laughing at the portions. we typically thrown in some seafood like shrimp or scallops.

5 Likes

EAT Las Vegas -The best damn pancakes in Las Vegas, so pillowy coupled with crispy edges.

Post glucose baptizing

Back Home in Lahaina - Beef katsu and bacon fried rice plate lunch

Love Letter - 1/2 garlic soy 1/2 spicy extra crispy wings

Honey Bird Los Angeles - Phil-Lee-O-Fish and Popcorn Chicken

Nozomi Torrance - sushi, alcohol and prawn head

Saba handroll :heart_eyes: wish they used a slightly higher quality nori sheet but otherwise excellent, the saba was buttery and smooth.

Alcohol

These spot prawns were freakin gigantic, so much fried shrimp guts, went extra good with this dry and light sake.

Also, the kohada was super buttery, had many many of these fuckers. Kinmedai, amaebi, and honmaguro akami/chu toro were great.

I :heart_eyes: Torrance

PSA Mitsuwa Torrance sale

13 Likes

@A5KOBE I need to try your EAT rec in Vegas. We’ll probably take the kids the next trip, and they love pancakes.
Is that Love Letter the same as the Love Letter Chicken & Pizza place?

2 Likes

The pancakes are worth the slight detour. Weekends can be a bit crowded but not crazy wait times. Enjoy your trip!

Yeah, one of their many locations.

1 Like

Mother’s Day Special Bang Bang

Soban

braised cod

galbi jjim

Osteria Mozza

strawberry crespelle | sautéed strawberries & spiced walnuts

espresso semifreddo | cococnut almond biscotto, toasted marshmallow & spiced hot chocolate

7 Likes

Mother’s Day was in May - delayed celebration?

this special woman takes on the role of father as well

6 Likes