June 2019 Weekend Rundown

Understood!

Home State, chorizo burrito, and bacon, egg and potato burrito.

The eggs are cooked lightly (not brown, like most L.A. Mex places). The excellent salsa tastes like the Southwest, I loved it. Really good flour tortillas! Although a touch doughy for me, I’ll ask they grill it a bit longer next time.

I don’t know if you all know, but I am an expert because I spent six months living in Albuquerque, San Antonio, Santa Fe and, of course, Austin. So trust me.

Home State
12105 W Waterfront Drive Suite B
Los Angeles
(Playa Vista Housing Project)

7 Likes

Is that fried chicken???

I’ve been crazy busy. Looks like ya’ll havin’ a tasty month!

Thanks for asking @Sgee. After a brief absence I’m checking the board and “SGO” references abound. I googled but got nothin’. Who? What? Where?

So glad you liked it @Srsly! Mixed emotions about the lack of customers. On one hand I want Yasu-san and his little enterprise to flourish - on the other I like it as an under-the-radar, little gem. :blush:

Was that The Little Door or Little Next Door @attran99?

Happy June Eating!

2 Likes

Sushi Ginza Onodera

3 Likes
1 Like

No wonder it’s not a familiar acronym to me. Ballerama!

The Little Door. Did I forget to name the restaurant?

1 Like

Oh sorry. No, you didn’t forget @attran99. I’ve never been to The Little Door during the day, but seeing the pastry display made me think it was their newish and popular lunch/brunch spot next door called Little Next Door. Yes, it’s a confusing use of the words “next” and “door” in my reply. :relaxed:

1 Like

The Little Next Door was hosting a baby shower the day I was there.

P.S.
Okay to be honest…we could have been at the Little Next Door…just had to check the Yelp exterior photos. Our friends arranged for it all and told us to meet at The Little Door, and we just showed up to see them sitting on the patio of one of the Door restaurants. Didn’t even bother to check which one. Thanks for pointing that out, @TheCookie.

1 Like

Had a few great meals at neighborhood restaurant type places.

First, an outstanding burrata caprese sandwich at Andrew’s Cheese Shop. Great burrata, great bread–simplicity at its finest.

Then had a dinner last night at Izakaya Osen in silverlake that was quite nice. Somehow had never heard of it but there was an hour wait to eat on Friday night. Packed, very japanese, and quite good. Delicious yellowtail and tuna sushi, and a blue crab nabe hot pot to die for. Got out of there for like $120 for two with drinks. A steal in LA these days.

1 Like

No biggie. It’s pretty much an extension of the same restaurant. BTW… A. likes their Steak Frites too.

1 Like

Interesting @Haeldaur. We don’t do Dish of the Month anymore. :slightly_frowning_face: But I was fantasizing about doing a one-time revival “Your Favorite Neighborhood Spots”.

1 Like

Suckling pig city

16 Likes

Wowza!

Where is this from?

New Fusion in Arcadia

1 Like

Looks delicious

Back at Kappo Sui, which is fast becoming one of my favorite Japanese restaurants (along with Meiji Seimen) in OC…

Battera Sushi

Garlic Octopus

Nice texture with a slight chew and some tasty garlic

Grilled Anago

Not greasy at all like Otafuku. This was great! The chef says there is quite some prep needed for this.

Braised Duck Breast (cold)

This was pretty good but depending on personal taste it is not too rich.

Crab Siu Mai.

The filling was kinda fish bally in texture but I was surprised that I enjoyed this, with some of that sweetness from the crab shining thru.

Ume Shiso Maki to finish things up. I am really starting to love this combo of flavors!!!

Service was just so sweet, and attentive. One of the younger chefs here is from Nagoya but actually is ethnic Chinese and he is great to chat up/make suggestions. I’ll be back of course!

6 Likes

Nice @JeetKuneBao!

The food looks homey & comforting. We’ll be at Hi-Time Wines in CM next week for a sake tasting. It seems like the perfect place to enjoy our bottle. Any recs for this style of cooking @beefnoguy?

:sake: :sushi: :fried_shrimp:

1 Like