June 2020 Rundown

It tasted as good as it looks. No soggy bottom either, just a well executed marriage of flavors and textures. The kale was nice and springy yet cut small enough to not be overly bitter. Kudos to the chef!

Happening right now live

The #COVID30 ultra deluxe chutoro and kamatoro donburi from Ming Kee :pig::pig_nose::rice:, San Francisco prefecture

18 Likes

I trek to the valley for this

12 Likes

Roberta’s - Bee Sting

probably the best of the several I’ve gotten at the Platform location - could be that from oven-to-mouth it was <1 minute. They remade the first after burning it on their own prerogative, so it was an extra 20 minutes, but worth it.

5 Likes

Ugh!!! So mad that I didn’t make it out when I went to SF last year!!! Argh!!!

Did you eat all of that in one meal??? :wink:

1 Like

That would be so dangerous… I did leave some rice behind…

2 Likes

OMG that looks so damn good right about now with an ice cold Orion beer! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes

pizza wagon x anajak thai

lab tot - fried pork and chicken meatballs seasoned w/ spices, mint. Served with a spicy tamarind sauce
The size and texture of a falafel but with meat. Delicious with the tamarind sauce.

haw mok - fish curry custard, branzino filets, red curry paste, coconut milk, eggs, chilies
Like the thai version of cambodian amok or a japanese chawanmushi.

diver scallops
Scallops were perfectly seared and were topped with some kind of sticky delicious chili-crisp-like sauce. It was funky, spicy, with a bit sweetness and was excellent. Highlight of the night.

you know

16 Likes

First dine in experience in 3 months at Duck House tonight. We were the only ones dining in. Plenty of takeout orders still.

17 Likes

Wow that closeup of the scallop, your last pic, if you ever get hard up you definitely have a future as a food photographer. Beautiful!

2 Likes

Ham Ji Park on 6th St. - Pork Ribs and Gamjatang

The Pico location is currently closed and is usually a little bit better, but this still very much hit the spot.

13 Likes

Thank you to @A5KOBE for posting the flyer.

Ugly Drum x Golden State

Worth it.

10 Likes

Sushi Shin (Redwood City) chef’s choice 15 pc omakase, a great value for up here at $85 and quite excellent I might add. Chef worked at Ushiwakamaru New York for 10 years then 15 East with Masato san for less than a year. Komesu shari and very nicely adjusted for takeout, including the crafting.

Hotate
Isaki
Aji
Akami
Ocean Trout
Botan Ebi
Kisu
Toro
Hiramasa
Kohada
Tamago (great dashimaki style)
Anago
Negi Toro roll
Hokkaido
Uni
Ikura

Not pictured: a Shin Sushi/Mori Sushi variant of whipped tofu in brown sugar for dessert, but much softer and far less puffy.

7 Likes

This place looks great. Sandwiches looks legit. Ggiata open for delivery and pick up only.

Shin Sushi (Encino) -
Deluxe chirashi

Instead of using the packaged soy, I had some Raku shoyu on hand. Glorious. This box was exceptionally done. I’m so glad I got to try this before Chef reopens for dine in next week.
The sushi counter will not be open. Chef will have to deliver to tables. He’s still in the process of trying to organize and get ready for next week, but things will be much changed if you decide to go. I do not believe that he plans to continue his chirashi takeout.

Pizza Wagon (Sherman Oaks) -

Not pictured garlic sticks. I gotta say, I see what all the fuss is about. This is seriously good pizza. And I loved the guys working here…they were super cool and fun to hang out with while I waited for my order. I don’t know what they were saucing like before, but there was more sauce than I personally prefer.

Sorry, @PorkyBelly. I was in the neighborhood on a business errand and did not have time to seek out the seared scallops in XO sauce. Next time…it’s crazy how close it is to Pizza Wagon.

14 Likes

Seasons kitchen USA char kway teow best wok hei for flat rice noodles I’ve had in socal. Don’t love the lap cheung in the noodles but I guess that’s pretty standard in char kway teow

Thanks for the rec @JeetKuneBao

13 Likes

I went when they first open and I thought the CKT was okay. Months later it was damn good, really good actually. Their Char Siu and Siu Yuk is pretty good too! The owner is a sweetheart. I think their Char Kway Teow is the best in SoCal!

1 Like

Also check out Litz in Monterey Park, their Singapore Noodles has some of the best wok hei and aroma! Be sure to get some housemade chili oil.

1 Like

Oh yeah next time pick up a jar of their Sambal!!!

(at Seasons Kitchen USA)

1 Like

I prefer less saucy, too.

I nominate @lapizzamaven to go have a chat with Anthony. I think they are saucing a bit heavier than they used to.

Then again maybe I should order a whole pie on the phone from Anthony, and then say “could you make it a little less saucy? you guys have been really fucking heavy-handed lately.“

The individual slices seem less sauced. Maybe after they sit a bit?

Hmmmm.

1 Like