June 2021 Rundown

It’s the hen’s ovipositor.

2 Likes

I think that’s one of those best to request in advance.

He does do off menu stuff btw, never hurts to ask. Some parts there are smaller numbers of so it’s not worth it for him to put it on the menu but he’ll do it for you if he can. (Special heart, special special heart, Neck, throat, chicken oyster)

4 Likes

Mizlala sycamore solid edition to the neighborhood. Israeli inspired combos. We got the pargiot and a side of Brussel sprouts. Flavors were on point

Definitely will be back to try more.

10 Likes

Roca Pizza

tl;dr pizza is good, location is terrible.

crust was wonderfully crunchy and reheats very well. i do wish there were more options with tomato sauce though. i believe only 4 out 10 pizzas on the current menu have tomato sauce. i didn’t read the menu carefully enough and thought the sausage and cremini pizza would be roca’s version of il romanista’s boscaiola (tomato sauce, mushrooms, sausage, mozzarella, parmigiano reggiano), it was good but i was missing the tomato sauce. i liked the soppressata and burrata but thought it was a bit too salty.

il romanista boscaiola
https://ftcsfo3digitaloceanspaces.b-cdn.net/uploads/default/original/3X/a/5/a576be30ddf8cc7f0834bc8c501440f5fd3e9ecd.jpeg

location - i can’t think of a worse location than the americana at brand, especially on a busy sunday. if you’re lucky you might find street parking, otherwise you’ll have to park in the parking garage which dumps you out at the farthest possible location from roca. you’ll then have to wade through this just to get to the place.

17 Likes

Always “Park at the Galleria, walk to the Americana”

15 Likes

Thanks for the 411. I’ll ask people to bring the Rico to me. #RicoSuave

3 Likes

9 Likes

It’s been, oh, right about 18 months since I’ve been there, but I usually park on Colorado near Louise in the SE corner of your map.

2 Likes

20 Likes

whynotboth.gif

6 Likes

Finally have started venturing out again now that we’re fully vaxxed, although we’re still cautious.

Did a quick bang bang of some neighborhood Mar Vista spots. A newish street stand doing karaage
Munchies Buddies in front of Mitsuwa

LA taco story on them

Got the 5 piece original, thick juicy pieces. Solid option, I’d get it again. That corner of Centinela and Venice continues to have more options as mentioned in other posts by multiple people

Headed off the Brother’s Cousins before the line got too bad. Two each of the buche, lengua and chorizo. The complimentary nopales hiding under the jalapeno

Afterwards, wandered over to Ginger’s Ice cream, which is always a lovely treat. They’re still doing a good job of moving people in and out of there with distancing and 6 person limit in the shop.

Sunday we went to Filled Market in downtown. A small Filipino oriented open air market, mainly with food stands.
We found out about them through this KCET article. Our group had food and drinks from just about every stand. It was busy, but not packed and orders were filled pretty quickly. Bang Bang noodles storefront was also open.

After noshing there, we swung by Pearl River Deli and had the Macau pork sandwiches. Unfortunately Amboy’s was closing up already so we couldn’t do the plaza bang bang.

Good weekend of outdoor noshing

12 Likes

Thanks for the 411 on the Karage Stand! I went to Tokyo Central this weekend and was so sad that the Omosubi and the Karage Deli area was still closed. I miss those so much! I also love the idea of the Karage Sliders.

1 Like

According to the article, he’s worked at Hakata Ikkousha ramen in Japan and Raku here, so he’s got some pedigree. We always liked the karaage at Hakata. It might be worth a trip for you to do a bang bang with the Brazilian place too.

I didn’t get out of the house fast enough to do a stop at the Brazilian place before they closed. I was hoping to do a bang that afternoon with Brazilian, Karaage, Brother’s Cousin’s before Ginger’s.

4 Likes

Chaumont (Beverly Hills) -
When you find yourself half a mile away, you roll over for croissants. They are still spectacular.
It also seems that they’ve opened up a vegan Chaumont next door. I popped by to just check it out, but their vegan butter croissant looks nothing like the French butter croissant. They were able to achieve an uncanny likeness to their pain au chocolate. Notes are based on observations only…because there’s no room for vegan croissants when you buy a half a dozen…not even in the name of research.

La Tavolata (Cerritos) -
Was in the neighborhood and hadn’t stopped by this place in ages. They are still open after switching to takeout dinner service only…and the food is still just as good as before.
I should have tried some of their specials, but it’s so easy to pick tried and true favorites.
I love any place that makes their on Caesar dressing…and bonus points if I detect extra funk from anchovies.
Pappardelle vodka…the pasta is silky and supple while retaining a nice al dente. Is it as perfect as Leo’s pasta at Bulgarini? It comes very close. The sauce clings nicely to the noodles and is still oddly topped with a slice of grilled prosciutto…it’s pretty salty enough, so I’ve never quite understood the purpose.
All with a nice glass of Chianti.

Croissant du Paris (Gardena) -
We were here early and this was the only thing open outside of the Tokyo Central market. And like @Dommy, I miss the chicken and onigiri counter, too! But we managed to find some warm curry pan and a few other savory pastries for breakfast.

Nagomi Cake House (Torrance) -
Cream puffs are as good as ever here. I love that they are generously filled with lovely pastry cream.

Gioia Cheese (El Monte) -
I came for mascarpone to make a giant tiramisu, but also picked up fresh mozzarella and burrata for fun.

17 Likes

Shit…glad he re-opened but Glendale? fugheddabou!

Proof bakery for an assortment of croissants. The chocolate croissant is absolutely killer.

Seriously flaky. Bag o flakes after I pulled out the big ones…

Took a bite out before taking photo but this cornmeal thumbprint cookie was soooo good. Raspberry jam tasted like it was just made.

This salted chocolate chip cookie is worthy of being included in the death match. Seriously chocolatey.

So since it was getting late, we went to Granada in Burbank for some late morning margaritas, I had a light beer, and chips and salsa.

Then we got hungry so we went to burgers never say die. This is my favorite burger right now. Crispy edges just perfect.

Just as wonderful, the tallow fries…

and an amazing assortment of sodas. Today had a blueberry, strawberry watermelon, and a cream soda.

Still trying to convince wifey we need to go out to another place… for margaritas.

21 Likes

Gr8Eatin’! You’re OG on this board, so I can’t claim you as a padawan devourer learner… :smiley:

2 Likes

Burger fries and the soda? $15 combo right there. What a baller.

No seriously I love BNSD but why can’t they have a smaller portion of fries :frowning:

Hello, gorgeous.

Fish n chips from Ye Olde King’s Head does NOT travel AT ALL (they wrap it and then put it in the box in a to-go order [!], so even opening the box immediately will not save the batter). Going during a weekday when there is absolutely no crowd was heavenly.

12 Likes

Everson Royce Bar (ERB) DTLA - Open! :hamburger: :two_hearts:

Did you miss me?! I missed you! :kissing_heart: :two_hearts: Beefy, buttery, juicy! They gilded the lily a bit with too much butter on the tasty, griddled bun. But we’ll give them a pass as they’ve been closed forever. It’s still my favorite burger.

Kennebec Fries + Aïoli & Ketchup

Just as remembered - thin, crispy, deliciousness, even the super crispy, salty bits at the bottom. :heart_eyes:

OG Kush Diet - Hibiscus Cucumber Margarita

It was tasty but this…

High Voltage - Watermelon Margarita w/Spicy Agave Syrup & Tajin Salt Rim

I was worried this would be heartburn inducing with salt, spice & lime. Nope! It’s tasty inducing. The watermelon evened it all out.:tropical_drink::two_hearts:

Pint of Fort Point Westfalia - Light Malty, Caramel

I took just a sip of hubs’, but had it before with butter chicken & masala potato fries at Badmaash. So good. Must make note on where to buy. :slightly_smiling_face:

Biscuits

Still Perfection! :heart:

Smoky Potato Taquitos

Photo colors are a little blue because of the tenting but the filling was almost this dark in actuality, lol. They’re crispy, creamy inside w/a tart, spicy salsa verde. Very good.

Chicken Thighs

Also one of my faves! Smokey, crispy, so tender, juicy w/a tangy, buffalo sauce-ish sauce but better. So good. Only draw back is they were too salty. :smirk:

Pork Belly Fries

If there is pork belly on the menu my oldest is gettin’ it. Unfortunately, he thought this was just okay.

DIL also had the Token Frenchie Salad w/Avocado (not pictured). She said it was good.

Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookie

I don’t think they’d win a death match but they’re good enough to rank. :slightly_smiling_face: Maybe a little more chocolate and salt.

All-all-in they did great for re-opening on the 26th. The bocci lane was removed to make more space. It’s roomy with lots of space - good for bringing kids and a dog without getting in peeps way. The music was bumpin’ disco & 80s club music. I tried to keep my bopping to a minimum so as not to embarrass the offspring too much.

Internet photo without bocce lane (dividers are now gone).

It Was a Good Day… :hearts:

18 Likes