June 2022 Rundown

Sapp jade noodles. Extra meat, extra noodle. This used to be $14+ tax in 2019. Today was $24 after tax. Jfc.

11 Likes

admittedly it’s been more than a few years since i was there but just seem to remember it being looking different. as in more lacy edges and not perfectly even… not necessary a commentary on the taste either way.

1 Like

Yeah but we also pay more for pasta with some romano cheese and black pepper

Ah ok yeah I’ve been to vans many times over the years. I didn’t notice anything different but admittedly I am not a banh xeo expert.

Any other places in Westminster you would recommend for banh xeo?vans has always been my got to.

Quan Mii is a newer place that’s pretty good banh xeo and there menu has some interesting items you can’t find anywhere else…banh beo hoi an style.

4 Likes

Quan Mii is kinda the place now for banh xeo.

Not the same dish but if you love Banh Xeo you will like Banh Khot. Not sure if she is still around but Banh Khot Lady made the best in Little Saigon.

2 Likes

they’ve been out of commission for a while now.

1 Like

I thought Sapp’s jade noodles were great and plenty of food without any extras.

Yeah well I eat a lot.

12 Likes

I do too, but I’d get a second dish.

A bowl of Jade and a bowl Boat.

Krapow and Sen Chan Pad Pu if you want more.

Also Sapp’s drinks! That crushed ice makes everything so much better

this is $26 + t/t.

I do too, but I’d get a second dish.

I was aiming for a $20 lunch but I guess I need to recalibrate for 2022.

2 Likes

Izakaya Tonchinkan - Arcadia

Nidako grilled simmered octopus - delicious :heart_eyes:

Japanese cucumber sticks with plum (ume) dip - nice and refreshing for the hot weather

Negitoro - damn, didn’t expect this to be this good, the nori was excellent and the temperature of the rice was perfect for the luscious toro. :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

Nikomi beef sinew, tongue and tripe simmered stew - pretty darn tasty with lovely chunks of tongue that were super tender. Loved the togarashi for a slight spice kick. :heart_eyes:

Moriawase (assorted seasonal sashimi) - every bite was delicious :heart_eyes::heart_eyes:, my only gripe is the wasabi is such a downfall here that I just stopped using it.

Halibut tempura - surprisingly big and fried as it should be, the accompanied dipping sauce was excellent.

Excellent variety of sake with some really good food. Definitely keep this on your radar now that Raku is no more. And for a non sushi restaurant, that negitoro was top notch.

Dai Ho - Temple City

Beef noodle soup - still one of my favorites :heart_eyes: and the beef was meltingly tender

And some side dishes, don’t know what they are aside from one was bean curd and the other pickled greens but they are tasty AF.

21 Likes

Haven’t been to Dai Ho in years, but I remember a pig ear and/or tripe cold dish that rocked.

1 Like

This looks unreal

5 Likes

Welcome to FTC!!!

4 Likes

The place was half empty upon arrival and when we left there was a small wait as the place filled up quick. The cold dishes are such a nice medium with the hot soup.

1 Like

Forgot to post about meal at Mirame last week but it continues to be really high level. They also had the cauliflower ceviche from Tacos Punta Cabras 1.0 on the menu, which gave me happy memories.

This morning, stopped in at Cafe Berlina across the street from Bagel Nosh and got a Kaffee mit schlag. Behold:

Breakfast of champions

5 Likes

Visited the new Seoul Night by Chef Kang restaurant in Brown Derby Plaza (Wilshire & Alexandria) last night. Started off empty but got busy as the night progressed with a pretty fun vibe. It has 3 areas: an outdoor patio (nice since it’s tucked up on the second floor away from the street), an indoor “club” area with a dance floor, and a back Korean pub area.

We only got a few snacks and drinks but the garlic fries were good and crispy and they had the typical selections of Korean beer and soju plus some higher end soju and a few craft beers on draft. Service was very friendly and the full menu had some fusion concoctions that were more unique than the typical K-town dishes. Definitely worth a visit.

6 Likes

:scream:

This is a regular thing?

3 Likes