Kappo Osen -- Santa Monica

While driving to Colapasta yesterday, I passed by a place called Kappo Osen. No reviews here, although there’s a good number of reviews on Yelp (and the place seemed decently busy).

Has anyone been? At @Haeldaur apparently has been to the sister restaurant in Silverlake (Osen Izakaya) and is the only poster who has mentioned the place.

BTW, in unrelated news, there’s a Trader Joe’s opening on Wilshire and 23rd. You’re welcome.

5 Likes

FYI signs at the Trader Joe’s saying they’re opening 9 am tomorrow morning

2 Likes

I have been considering trying it - menu and booze selections look pretty legit.

1 Like

Food at both is very good with a slight advantage to Silverlake. Atmosphere in Silverlake is about 100x better.

Reviving this old thread as I had lunch there today. Ordered the five piece Lunch Omakase. Pretty standard assortment. Toro was excellent, very buttery and tender. Ebi and uni were quite good. The rice was disappointing. It was fairly cold, and the nigiri tended to fall apart when picked up. Very pretty place, and service was good.

3 Likes

yeah… this isn’t really a nigiri place, i reckon. though i haven’t tried the real omakase dinner at the sushi bar yet, ain’t sure if i want to

the sashimi omakase is good value though. and the yakitori. not authentic japanese style, but good in its own way

1 Like

i said the place isn’t good for nigiri, but finally i ordered a few pieces at the sushi bar … and they were pretty good. the rice has a good bite, was well seasoned, and definitely not mushy or old.

it’s all daily special stuff, which i ordered directly from the chef though.

1 Like

Ordered on Uber Eats yesterday and got a pleasant surprise (which is better than an unpleasant surprise).

This was the best delivery sushi I have had since the beginning of the pandemic (and I have ordered from some other very high end places). Didn’t have a huge appetite so I only ordered ume shiso handroll and spicy tuna handroll, but based on those rolls, I would order again (although I do think rolls stand up better to delivery than regular sushi). The ginger, which you order a la carte (which was fine with me, because I got extra) was a cut above most places.

They also have a natto tofu dish which I am anxious to try because it is not easy to get natto in this town (other than from the supermarket).

1 Like

Partner and I have been twice (eating outside). We really like it, and I’m a bit surprised it doesn’t get mentioned more often here. The place looks busy every time we go, so it seems well known.

1 Like

I just had delivery of the natto, tofu dish and (1) it was insanely delicious; and (2) was one of the few dishes that I have ever had delivered that I can say I don’t believe suffered at all from the delivery process (and the delivery was slow, which is usually a recipe for disaster with food deteriorating on the way).

They are obviously making their own tofu and this didn’t taste like defrosted supermarket natto. I had no idea that Japanese food of this quality was so accessible for delivery. If I lived closer, I might be there every day for pickup.

2 Likes