Kato: A Pictorial Essay

My strong recommendation for them would be to have a more expensive tasting menu (people in the area have money) for like $69 that is more filling. Once beer & wine come it’ll be fine. Or perhaps the servers should encourage “sharing” at least one supplement for two people.

3 Likes

Hey all, how long does a meal take here? Trying to figure out if I can get the 5:30 seating on Thursday, then make it back to USC for an 8 o’clock bball game…

Is that remarkably optimistic?

IIRC ours took about 1.5 hours. You should be okay.

1 Like

Agree. Or even a little faster if you don’t do supplements.
With no booze/pairings things seem to move along quite quickly.

1 Like

Yep. The pace is quick at Kato.
Traffic is always unpredictable, but you should have about 1:15-1:30 to get to your game.

1 Like

I say skip the game, and enjoy the meal.

unless it was foosball but that’s no over.

Ended up moving Kato to Friday night, so I didn’t have to rush. Thanks for all the responses though.

All in all, I thought Kato was pretty darn good, my sentiments seem to be in accordance with most everyone else. The supplements don’t make sense after the tasting. Kato thrives with really light, refreshing dishes then they just hit you with these comfort food classics. My apologies for not wanting a pork belly rice bowl after eating a tuna and beet tartare or a dungeness crab and uni porridge.

Thought the short rib was quite the dud. Pretty bland, reminiscent almost of an over-cooked “fall off the bone” rib at a mediocre steakhouse.

I’ll be back, though I’ll likely give them some time to figure things out a bit more. PS–what you heard about portion size is true. Tiny.

2 Likes

Feel you on the short rib. I thought it didn’t pop like the other dishes nor did it have much that surprised me. I will say I liked the doctored gochuchang.

2 Likes

The Restaurant at Meadowood collab at Kato later this year. That is something I’d be interested in.

2 Likes

Proud to post this here now, well over a half-decade since I first walked through those doors in a nondescript mini-mall in West L.A., during Kato’s very first week of service.

After dining past evening on its inaugural tasting menu run, at its new home in ROW DTLA, I feel that Kato is truly blossoming, and realizing its full potential. Review forthcoming…

9 Likes