Kato - Extended Tasting Menu

Did takeout from Kato. I don’t have much experience with the restaurant, having gone only once a few years ago for the initial tasting menu.

The below is 2 servings, and the dishes are in order from left to right and top down

• Smashed cucumber, celery, and lovage salad
  • Enoki dan dan, Kato chili oil
  • Lu rou fan (braised pork rice) with egg
  • Fish fragrant eggplant
  • American wagyu short rib, 3 cup style
  • Steamed fish (I think seabass but need confirmation)
  • Buttermilk pudding, kaya (hello!), pineapple, coffee brown butter oats

Highlights for me were the enoki dan dan and the three cup wagyu. In the dan dan, enoki were used instead of noodles, but the texture was still fairly well done, and there was a sesame paste in there. I probably should have tried to reheat a couple of the dishes a tad.

I think this was a good amount of food for us, as we are trying to reverse #COVID15, but if you walk around with a badge that says “OOE” on it, you may want to bang with some additional food.

11 Likes

wat

:rofl:

looks good though. is it considered a bang bang if you eat 2 portions of the same meal? :thinking:

3 Likes

Looks great. But the braised pork to rice ratio seems questionable. :thinking:

3 Likes

Kato has always taken the saying that ‘hunger is the best seasoning’ to new levels!

3 Likes

uni for scale?

5 Likes

Had a great takeout dinner from kato after my shunji carmakase. It was one of the best I’ve had since the shutdown. Just like at the restaurant every dish was good to great with lots of familiar flavors executed at a high level. Unlike the restaurant, you can BYOR and pair each course with a bowl of rice, which left me quite satiated.
Will definitely be ordering again. @Chowseeker1999, @TheCookie, @attran99, @NYCtoLA, @butteredwaffles, @J_L, @CiaoBob, @Omotesando, @paranoidgarliclover

Highlights were the lu rou fan; the cabbage, which I first thought was a throw away dish but was a surprise highlight; fish fragrant eggplant was deeply flavorful; ginger scallion fish was spot on; and the beef was fatty, tender and delicious.

pro tip
don’t mistake your chili oil for your dessert topping

#uniforscale

smashed cucumber, celery and lovage salad

enoki dan dan, kato chili oil

lu rou fan - braised pork rice

garlic cabbage, dried shrimp and nueske’s bacon

fish fragrant eggplant

steamed fish, ginger, scallion

american wagyu short rib, 3 cup style

chili paste

buttermilk pudding, kaya, pineapple, coffee brown butter oats

16 Likes

In some parts of the world, chili oil IS the dessert topping. ;-D

2 Likes

I assume this was for 2, based on @NYCtoLA’s post?

No, this was for one. Note the one half of an egg in the lu rou fan as opposed to the two halves @NYCtoLA got :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Aw man, I expected your background TV viewing selection to be a re-run episode “Green Hornet” for this meal…

Was Sergio in da house when you picked up the food?

2 Likes

That actually seems like a pretty decent amount of food. And this place is literally a 3-min drive way, so perhaps when I’m feel like something special for dinner in the near future… :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ha, I was thinking the pink panther

Yep saw sergio

3 Likes

… but hopefully not this guy:

3 Likes

So many chirashis

7 Likes

#TheGoldenAgeOfChirashi

4 Likes

That’s a beaut - where is that one from?

kato, starts tonight.

2 Likes

Figures.
Their food (for me) has always been more 'gramable than edible.

1 Like

Still waiting for them to open a fried chicken joint. That was 2nd only to HR in my book

1 Like

$125