Kato - Extended Tasting Menu

about 3 hours for a party of 4.

1 Like

Res taken

$225 starting 4/1

3 Likes

1 night, 2 achievements unlocked

pro tips: bang at the bar before your dinner, order a whole loaf of milk bread for yourself.

i enjoyed almost every course better than my last visit, kato has really dialed in these dishes. i even liked all the flavors and textures in “the garden” course. the torn bluefin has more pronounced flavors and is in a fried-wonton-like cup now instead of the “glass” shell. i liked the more composed bite of the coal-seared sea bream. the uni donut was the bite of the night and what i was hoping for when i first saw it on the menu: an explosion of uni and brown butter as you bite into the savory donut. really reminds of the uni cream puff at birdsong.

the one miss of the night for me is still the black cod. the fish is paired with so many strong flavors, especially the licorice-y hoja santa, that the cod kind of gets lost. it’s also hard to eat, you’re only given a fork and spoon and it’s almost impossible to compose a bite with the hoja santa leaf tightly wrapped around the cod.

note: i noticed four tops are now getting two loaves of bread instead of one.

bang #1

amazake swizzle

sea bream belly, tosazu, shiso

sea bream collar

bang #2

torn bluefin, caramelized onion

coal-seared japanese sea bream, black vinegar

uni donut, iberico ham, brown butter

uni cream puff @ birdsong

astrea kaluga caviar, geoduck, koji, korean spinach

(free) milk bread, garlic

the garden - a snapshot of aaron’s farm, taiwanese seasame

egg custard, kelp vinegar, chinese chives

local black cod, soured napa and chinese mustard, celtuce

rice
pro tip: this is served with the fish course but i think it goes a lot better with the beef. save your rice.

miyazaki a5 striploin, beef tendon, cordyceps, potato

meiwa kumquat bingsoo, vanilla anglaise, meyer lemon

jujube, scorched rice cream, muscovado tuile, castella cake

mignardies - coconut pandan bon bon, raspberry lychee pate de fruits, rose caramel candy

17 Likes

How hard are they chasing a second star?
How does it compare to 3 star SF restaurants?
Over or under two bites of food that harkened back to a Taiwanese or Chinese dish?

3 Likes

Very. And will likely succeed.

1 Like

caviar and a5 wagyu :wink: :wink: :wink:

I would like to see the birth certificate of sturgeon. :crazy_face:

6 Likes

Love their cocktails there. Went before hayato last week. Could have drank every cocktail on the menu. Austin is a damn genius.

“Is fish”

Anyone have any idea what’s changing on the 1st? Made a reservation but didn’t know about the price increase beforehand.

1 Like

Was told most of the menu is changing.

2 Likes

Did not realize it will be most of the menu. I am going on April 2nd, if anyone is going April 1st please report!

was there a new menu?

unfortunately I ended up not going but I was told by my friends who went that there were some new dishes since our last visit in early march. it sounded like early courses were the same but later courses had more changes. I recall they said there was some duck dish that was new.

2 Likes

new menu. beef is now an extra 45 dollars.

2 Likes

Sorry for late upload from last week’s dinner. Here’s a few pages from the new menu.

Overall an amazing experience with personal standouts being the bread that y’all drool over, the accompanying crab & caviar, scallops, and black cod. Admittedly not a massive wine drinker however the standard wine pairings were delicious and really elevated the dishes.

7 Likes

Is the new price is $225 not including $45 beef supplement?

Correct.

surprising they added a $45 beef supplement when that’s one of the things they mentioned as not wanting to do.

The menu will showcase ingredients like Astrea caviar, but there won’t be supplemental charges for such luxuries.

“One of the big things Jon and I have had conversations about is when you go to a restaurant and they supplement you to death,” says partner and wine director Ryan Bailey, 34. “Guests feel insecure and guilt-tripped into buying more.”

https://www.lamag.com/digestblog/accalimed-tasting-menu-spot-kato-has-been-reborn-in-dtla/

2 Likes

“The best laid schemes o’ mice an’ men / Gang aft a-gley.”

3 Likes