Kato - Extended Tasting Menu

everything was good (octopus was excellent) but this was definitely a light meal and the qpr wasn’t there for me. i had to supplement the octopus with some rice to be satiated, unlike the first takeout meal when i had leftovers.

3 Likes

grilled wagyu char siu

https://www.instagram.com/p/CCeRPGKjBXe/

1 Like

taiwanese cold noodles
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200717191540842_COVER

miso slaw
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200717191617823_COVER

streamed buns
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200717191735524_COVER

grilled char siu wagyu short rib
MVIMG_20200717_191724

00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200717191751912_COVER

fantastic
00100lrPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200717193003184_COVER

17 Likes

Soooo is the fix for Kato’s portion size issues to eat a family size portion by yourself?! Or did you hit up Monte Alban just in case

3 Likes

ha, my stomach says yes, but my wallet says no.

a big pot of rice would be another fix.

1 Like

Thanks for the pics. Went and got this today. That beef short rib may have been the best beef preparation I’ve had in my entire life. Can’t think of a time that I’ve had Wagyu flavored with anything other than salt. Char siu sauce does wonders to it.

3 Likes

kato banh mi - char siu marinated wagyu short rib grilled over charcoal, lady edison country ham, light spread of five spice chicken liver pate, pickled veggies, jalapenos, herbs, clark street baguette
not your typical banh mi, but it was delicious, fatty but balanced nicely with the pickled veggies. i was able to taste each individual ingredient except for the ham, loved the chicken liver pate. bread was a bit hard. @NYCtoLA

14 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDfMJFkjk8C/

3 Likes

kato x nightshade

Seriously?
I know chefs/restaurants are struggling like nobody’s business nowadays - and, if they can sell at these prices, fair play to them!
Vespertine, Providence, Pasjoli/Dialogue, Shunji and many others have already demonstrated mad, mad, mad skills in the pandemic takeout department at much more reasonable prices.

I guess they are either
a) filling one’s to-go bag with caviar/foie gras and pure Colombian party favors, or
b) you are paying a whole lot to hear an artful, witty, pandemic Q & A with these two made-for-TV-tyros and Harris - Scattergood - Kwan Peterson.

Order Summary

2 x General Admission

$350.00

Subtotal

$350.00

Fees

$13.50

Total

$363.50

Price includes tax

3 Likes

B

Shit. That’s about 5 dollars of food/labor. The cocktail pairings must be sensational.
Sometimes (and, by that, I mean pretty much all the time) I wish Bourdain (and, by that, I mean the young, firebrand Bourdain) was here to call an authoritative bullshit out.

3 Likes

This was $1200 for a couple - diy dinner & fill your own dishwasher. Although it does come with some momentos. Those display kitchens will finally get a workout :laughing:

# Baccarat Hotel New York Presents: A Virtual Masterclass with Michelin-Starred Chef Gabriel Kreuther

New York, NY · French

Make the Ultimate Surf and Turf at Home

Baccarat Hotel New York’s Two-Michelin-starred Culinary Director Gabriel Kreuther is partnering with Rare Champagne and Cinco Jotas Ibérico Ham to offer a virtual Masterclass.
Five world-class luxury lifestyle brands join forces for the first time for this exclusive event offered to a limited number of participants. Chef Kreuther will demonstrate how to make Langoustine Tartare with Basil and Moroccan Olive Crisp topped with Cinco Jotas Jamon and Golden Ossetra Caviar. The hotel’s Wine Director Matthieu Yamoum will share his expertise on the Rare Rosé Millésime 2008, served in Baccarat Grand Bourgogne Degustation glasses.

Experience includes:
• All necessary recipe ingredients (serves 2 guests)
• Recipe card with detailed instructions
• Four pre-sliced packages of Cinco Jotas Jamon and cutting board
• One bottle of Rare Rosé Millésime 2008
• Two Baccarat Grand Bourgogne Degustation glasses
• Kreuther Handcrafted Chocolate gift box
• $150.00 Baccarat Hotel New York gift card to be used upon re-opening

1 Like

Damn let’s do a money grab bs virtual supper club in these times lol

I like the idea of collabs though! I would love a PRD x Needle collaboration for us serfs.

5 Likes

Also nothing seems Chinese/Taiwanese on that menu other than the porridge. (just go to Porridge and Puffs).

Smoked kanpachi…yawn mine as well give us tuna tartare with chips lol

Pork belly is basically Ca Kho?

And no dessert?

What do they talk about on a virtual supper club?

Me: “ I love how Japanese restaurants really stepped up during this Pandemic by offering meals cooked with high quality ingredients and skill at a fair price point during these hard economic times”

“…”

“Hey how about that smoked kanpachi, never seen that before, so inspirational”

3 Likes

Chicken
https://www.instagram.com/p/CDhyKaqD8M7/

3 Likes

I was made aware, by a very well-intended FTCer, that the chefs here have very little, or no, control over the pricing for the event. Apparently the greedy hand I feel slithering into my wallet is the same hand that has jerked me around (not off) at Food Bowl events in past years. So, I would like to publicly apologize for that incorrect assumption. I have had very fine meals at both of their restaurants and I wish them well.

8 Likes

https://www.instagram.com/p/CDmWRQODNtr/

3 Likes

Thanks. Looks like they just went live. Well I know what I’ll be eating tonight.

https://www.instagram.com/katorestaurant/

2 Likes

How was it?