Kato Pop-Up at The Cannibal: A Pictorial Essay

Chef Jon Yao has had a great last two months. His West L.A. restaurant Kato was recently been recognized by GQ magazine as one of America’s Best New Restaurants. He’s also hopped on a plane to join with fellow chef (and friend) Mei Lin for dinner at Chef René Redzepi’s residency at Noma in Tulum. And now he’s collaborated with The Cannibal at Platform LA for a wildly successful two-week long lunch pop-up. Let’s face it: Chef Yao’s food is delicious.

Thai Tuna Tostada…

Kato Chirashi…

Maitake Mushroom…

Roasted Cauliflower…

“Family Meal” Bowl…

A smashingly great lunch should be followed be a dessert bang bang at nearby Van Leeuwen Artisan Ice Cream!

Honeycomb, Strawberry, Labne/Orange Marmalade/Pistachio & Planet Earth…

8 Likes

That looks fabulous. Much better than Cannibal’s regular lunch menu. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: Until when does the the pop-up last?

How did you find out about this? I didn’t see it on Cannibal’s Instagram feed.

1 Like

i went twice to this last week and it was so good. The mushrooms were actually my favorite.

2 Likes

Damn, I completely forgot about this. Is it still going on?

I think it’s over (2 week residency), unless they extended it a 3rd week.

Great report, as always.

Love Van Leeuwen. The Honeycomb & Planet Earth are also vegan, as I recall. So good. How was the strawberry?

No it’s over I believe.

Awesome. Most strawberry ice creams out there are just sweet, with no further depth of taste. There’s only a few strawberry ice cream makers I’ve tried who aren’t afraid to use the inherent gentle tartness of the strawberry as well, in order to counterbalance its sweetness. Van Leeuwen’s is one of them.

I Know It’s Over

(J_L Strikes Again)

1 Like

Gah. This is what I was afraid of. Now I must go try it.