Kavkaz Armenian from USSR in Hollywood

F&J Bakery/Partamian’s is on Adam’s, about a mile west of LaBrea. Search for it in The LA Times, there is a nice article.

Yes I found it on Yelp and going to go.

1 Like

Do look for the LAT article - great piece.

1 Like

Good People the Partamian’s!!!

1 Like

considering i’m rocking the #RugLife today I should drop by for lunch

2 Likes

I went to my first Armenian wedding over the weekend. Good heavens.20-plate first course, then the rest of the courses just kept coming. With plenty of vodka and brandy. You really need to be prepared for this kind of feast, which we were not. But it was delicious and fun.

2 Likes

Yea it’s a good time and definitely the kind of meal that takes care of the rest of the weekend. Hope the music was good. some of the djs are pretty poopy.

Favorite dish of the night?

I go shopping in this plaza anytime I’m out that way and man… it makes me so happy to see the scenes from my childhood… older Armenian gentlemen carefully grilling up meats over charcoal. Their movements were so thought out and balanced. Was lovely to watch the man wipe off any possible ashes from the tip of the skewer before removing the meat.

4 Likes

I started just going to the back to order. I put in the order for lamb chops or whatever, then go next door to the little market for vegetables to make a salad. I found dried sorrel there, which I can almost never find. I use it to make soup.

For what it’s worth, Georgian food is almost more popular in Russia than Russian food is :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yea, don’t miss the fresh sorel when it comes in (spring). We cant get enough of it. We make green borsh out of it. Lamb choooops. I hoped for the chunk lamb from next door and grilled at home in a very non Armenian manner (hibachi).

4 Likes

And Armenian. The thing all of Russia does is what we taught them - shashlik (shish kabob).

Love sorrel! Good looking grill, dood.

thanks… really thick hibachis are amazing! here are a couple more from that session since you’re interested

https://imgur.com/a/EdOKPAO

So when are gonna be hosting a FTC thing??? :wink:

I can actually do it in a common use park we have if y’all want. Fairfax District

Unless someone has a backyard they want to offer up.

What Plaza?

The one with the restaurant this topic is about (Kavkaz)

Looks incredible, but I would have pictured you a mangal man…

My Russian friends have promised to make shashlik when they move into their new house. And @bruins I make a mean khachapuri - I didn’t take pictures last time, but its the boat shaped type with soft cheese and eggs, Best Khachapuri Recipe - How to Make Georgian Egg Bread. My friends brought me an assortment of Georgian spices from Kitchen Ceremony, http://kitchenceremony.com/. Its in Cyrillic so @Nemroz can read it at least. I have puzzled out most of them, but they are all delicious.

2 Likes

niiiice… yea that’s in russian.

Xachapuri really is any baked cheese bread… the ones you’re talking about we call Adjarian (Adjaruli in georgian) Khachapuri . I never had the egg ones believe it or not… not something we had anywhere i grew up. I’m more American than Armenian though so I have an Egg type of grill/smoker and a hibachi, but whenever i see family or cousins, we always rock their mangal

1 Like