Keeping Cantonese cooking alive.....Pearl River Delta/Deli and Needle

I had high expectations for this char siu and Needle definitely delivered.

First of all, let’s talk about the finishing touches of this char siu. It’s real simple. You dump the entire bag of char siu into simmering water for 20 mins so it can gently heat through. Next, open up the bag and take out the two slabs of meat. Brush them with the sauce it came with…blast them in the oven for a few mins on both sides before slicing and glazing with honey. Finish with the given maldon salt flakes

I did need a few more mins per side under the broil setting than the recommended two mins per side though.

How does it taste? Hands down the best char siu in SGV. Others don’t come close IMO. Its classic char siu flavor gets the sweet and salty balance just right. Stickiness of the sauce/honey glaze is just right too which I rarely find in SGV char siu.

On the other hand, the flesh is tender and succulent while the glistening fat is melty just as a good roast pork would. Would I complain about roast pork being fatty because it utilizes pork belly? Of course not. The melty fat is part of what contributes to a rich bite! But if you’re the type that shine away from fat in general, then you might think twice about anything pork belly anyway. Lastly, I especially appreciate the bursts of crunch and saltiness from the salt flakes even though it’s not traditionally done!

Does it top the high end char siu I’ve had in Hong Kong? No. Is it as juicy and tender as the Iberico pork char siu at Mott 32 in Las Vegas? Nope. But it’s an exemplary char siu in and of itself nonetheless and it should with its price point. For the record, I enjoyed this more than Ming Kee’s and Needle’s very own pork shoulder char siu. Where else can I find such tasty thick cut of char siu stateside that’s not tough and chewy? Let me know. There’s a reason why most places slice their char siu real thin.

Give the price, I do suggest using a honey with a distinct aroma such a good ostmanthus honey that will lend the char siu a very refreshing and floral notes that will no doubt lighten the palate and add another dimension to this already excellent char siu.

23 Likes

Fun & Delicious!

I was early so popped in Forage and got Apricot-Ginger Agua Fresca & groovy looking Tomatoes

Off we go…

Shrimp Chip Appetizer

Pork Chop Bun - Pork loin, Milk Bread, Spicy Salt Relish, Pickled Cucumber :hearts:

Char Siu!!!

Super easy! Incredibly delicious! :hearts: While I had fun following the tutorial hubby played along with his bass to Love aka Char Siu Will Tear Us Apart. :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Wake Up Vegans! - Yummy Lettuce Cups w/Corn, Chickpeas, Shiitake, Jicama, Carrot, Scallion, Lettuce, Hoisin :hearts:

Almond “Jello” - Orange, Nectarine, Mango, Pluot, Goji Berry, Lychee Jelly

A light dessert… the perfect finish! :hearts:

18 Likes

Next up!

2 Likes

Right on! Your next step up for char siu is in Las Vegas. :wink:

2 Likes

Do tell.

Mott 32

3 Likes

Love your teal oven! It’s a very pleasing color to look at.

3 Likes

how did the fat to meat ratio compare to ming kee’s pork neck?

1 Like

Like at most Canto BBQ shops, it ranges and Ming Kee is no different. You can ask for fattier cut depending on your preference.

It can be lean but still juicy.

Or it can be fatty like the one @Chowseeker1999 had.

5 Likes

Thanks @moonboy403. My favorite color. :slightly_smiling_face: It’s a very functional oven too. We have little counter space - chucked the microwave & toaster and don’t miss them. It can also do a roast and a whole chicken.

:clap: :clap: :clap: @moonboy403 & @TheCookie

https://ftcsfo3digitaloceanspaces.b-cdn.net/uploads/default/original/3X/5/6/563eafbfa49b36c072291deb15863e4c598eaa1a.jpeg
:point_up_2: color !!! Exemplary, comparable to those HKG grade roasties. That sweet spot as some non-heavily carbonized charring begins to just gently kiss the edges.

Hope they’ll offer a well marbled OG belly shoulder/butt cut down the road

HKG grade :point_down: and I don’t like pink meat…

4 Likes

Yeeesss - PRD with the won ton noodle soup.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CC_sjtcj-1q/?igshid=3r2vbvla0t34

11 Likes

Looks great!!

1 Like

Chef @JLee and @ancomla should just take my money. Their dishes this weekend are basically my childhood.

8 Likes

Thanks @Sgee. Good tip about the edges. Maybe lower heat, longer cook?

I cannot wait to try Ming Kee. It’s been on my SF list for a while. But I was wondering about the pink meat. It looks like ham?

3 Likes

Such high-level takeout options these days.

I often wonder if the 'rona never happened, would the restaurant scene naturally evolve to the offerings we are seeing these days?

4 Likes

Charring depends on your preference. Some likes it really charred and some hates any charring

1 Like

I did wonder whether it was somewhat cured before roasting since the texture was a bit snappy.

1 Like

uh does this wonton soup include jlee’s char siu? We’re approaching LEGENDARY status here.

I don’t recall the bastardized vietnamese version of wonton soup having shrimp heads/stock in it, but maybe that’s just the low-brow versions I ate.

1 Like

:scream: