Keeping Cantonese cooking alive.....Pearl River Delta/Deli and Needle

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

So good right?! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Do you know if any other place do cheung fun as well as HK cafe does? I only know that Delicious Food Corner does a half decent version…

DFC is okay. The texture with that slight jiggle is hard to beat at HK Cafe. I think it’s safe to say it’s the best in SGV. Alice’s Kitchen might be worth a try.

I like the bolo yau too at HK Cafe with hot milk tea.

1 Like

Has anyone had the BBQ Pork from Paul’s Kitchen on San Pedro St in DTLA? Always found theirs being unique in flavor and preparation. Really love their version. Want to find out what others think.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B_IM1HHh-FJ/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Still haven’t made it there.

Another PRD visit! @Chowseeker1999

glad to see that PRD was hella busy today! there were plenty of people picking up food the entire time I was there.

sorrowful rice | pork cap char siu, fried egg, yu choy, onion & egg fried(?) rice
a mouth-watering bowl of greatness

nicely charred. older generations of chinese might shy away from it due to health reasons but i love it.

i purposely laid out the char siu this way to show that, on this occasion, they’re evenly cooked with a beautiful hint of pink throughout. as you can see, these pieces are about 40 to 50% fat but i don’t mind it one damn bit as they’re meaty yet very tender despite the THICCC cut. and because this is cooked well and cut thickly, the meat’s juiciness is doubly amplified when i chew on it. this is by far the best char siu that i’ve had at PRD. great job! @JLee

50/50 goodness. sweet and salty but more importantly, the excess char nicely tempered its fattiness.

rice was done quite well and with bits of egg and finely chopped sweet onion that carried a slight crunch. but more importantly, a healthy dose of flavorful char siu sauce slathered over rice brought everything together.

loved the crisped up edges but the yolk is no longer runny which might not have been the intent…is it a problem? not to me. i like it cooked either way.

Bonus Course: a piece of steel metal scrubber(?) :grimacing:

done deal. if PRD can consistently extend this level of char siu cooking to its lower level char siu offerings, expect a line out the door! even Chris Yang from Yang’s Kitchen in Alhambra got a bowl of Sorrowful Rice today.

12 Likes

Bonus iron supplement

3 Likes

Ditto! So good, right? Great report!

2 Likes

Looks like HK style beef curry

6 Likes

Really wish needle would open for lunch. I don’t eat lunch at 3 PM

3 Likes

Unless you’re in Spain! ;-D

6 Likes

Pearl River Deli

Just call us contented PRD diners. Last weekend we finally managed to score two coveted dishes in one day. :tada:

Hainan Chicken & Rice, Ginger Scallion Sauce, Housemade Hot Sauce, Sweet Soy Sauce

The ultimate dish for chicken & rice lovers :blush: - beautifully poached, a trio of punchy sauces (ginger-scallion :hearts:) and that chicken rice! flavored with deliciously chickeny broth!

Sorrowful Rice - Char Siu (Pork Roast Cap), Sauced Rice, Fried Egg, Yu Choy

Crispy dark char, fatty, tender but textured meat, perfect sunnyside-up egg and the sauced rice! :heart_eyes: Yu choy was nicely sautéed (or blanched?) & crunchy. :slightly_smiling_face:

Milk Tea

This deliciously strong milk tea had me up all night chatting with night owls… and I’d get it again. :blush:

Super friendly service. Chef Lee’s helper that day (didn’t catch his name) was running around serving, bussing, cleaning and answering questions with a smile.

Now Serving - Curbside Pickup!

13 Likes

Nice score, glad you got to try the hcr, so good. That char siu looks great, what did you think of the meat to fat ratio?

1 Like

Thanks to your bat signals!

Honestly, it wasn’t less fatty than pork belly, maybe the actual meat was leaner, but this is one fatty cut of meat.:slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

50/50 goodness again! Looks well cooked.

Story of my life.

3 Likes

You are honorary Cantonese! That’s a hell of a meal!

You are a Char Siu Queen

1 Like

Wow @JeetKuneBao! Haha… I was thinking recently that I’ve probably written the words Char Siu more in the last couple of months than anything else I’ve written my whole time on FTC. :blush: So thanks!

2 Likes

That is one hell of a title for a new Abba Remix

3 Likes

Wow with the Byo chili sauce

1 Like

What was your favorite late night cafe when you were younger? JJ, Garden, Bacalli?