Keeping Cantonese cooking alive.....Pearl River Delta/Deli and Needle

I though about ERT already, but ERTAT sounds like STAT (what we say in medicine) :smiley:

1 Like

3 letters or 1 syllable that’s the rule.

Yours do look much more unevenly charred than mine. As far as crispy skin goes, are yakitori wings suppose to have crispy skin? I don’t think I’ve had one that’s crispy even at Raku in Vegas.

My expectations for grilled wings will be much higher from now on if that’s the case!

2 Likes

BYO___ already breaks that rule. Besides, someone else has already used ERTAT effectively.

Good question @moonboy403.

I almost elaborated on this. :grin: There’s not many things I love to eat more than grilled meat. I love Yakitori! And there’s not many things I’m pickier about than chicken. I didn’t love my beloved Aburiya Raku’s wings either. :grimacing: “Crispy“ might not be the right word. It’s about evenly cooked with fat rendered and the chewy, rubbery skin attaching the drum & wing cooked-off, some golden finish and char… for me anyway, lol. But most places only get the splotchy char part down. I haven’t had yakitori everywhere but the one place I loved the wings was this little, untrendy, Japanese spot on the corner of Wilshire & San Vicente (long closed, now Continental Kitchen). It’s my benchmark.

Aren’t you glad you asked? :smile:

2 Likes

nitro red bean ice | red bean, oat milk, crushed ice
A lighter and more refreshing rendition of the classic red bean ice in Hong Kong cafes with the use of oat milk. The mild oat flavor works surprisingly well with the sweetened red beans that are cooked down. What a nice drink to counter this awfully hot weather.

It’s a bonus that it’s not overly sweet!

char siu fried rice | char siu, long bean, egg, rice, scallion
Does it fall apart like sand? Yes sir! Passed! A fried is is 80% of the way there if they fall apart like that.
ezgif.com-gif-maker

It’s not perfect yet, but I like this fried rice quite a bit! In striving for the best fried rice it can be, here’s my musing:

• char siu was diced very evenly
  • char siu was taken a bit too far when it was charred in the wok so it’s on the dry side. on the flip side, it’s always a fine line between trying to get better aroma from the charring vs a less flavorful but drier char siu pieces.
  • the combination of that caramelized char siu flavor, egg fragrance, and that mild spicy & grassy scallion scent is really what I love about Yeung Chow fried rice and this fried rice by extension
  • good wok skills that resulted in fluffy, plump, and mostly unbroken rice grains that easily separated into individual grains
  • it has wok hei but it can use even more
  • can use a splash of water in the hot wok to soften up the rice grains just a touch before adding in scallions

chicken steak rice | jidori chicken leg quarter, black pepper sauce, market vegetables, white rice
This is ultimate nostalgic comfort food x quality ingredients x perfect execution. Every component was cooked perfectly. And special shoutout to the moist, chewy, and delicious rice that weren’t in any way clumpy even after a 25 mins drive! I can never have Garden Cafe or Baccali’s chicken steak again…
ezgif.com-gif-maker (1)

16 Likes

Was planning on adding mung bean to our soy milk but might switch it to adzuki now :laughing:

1 Like

:red_square: > :green_square: all day

Looks great @moonboy403.

Is yeung chow fried rice the traditional & ubiquitous fried rice or is there something that makes it different?

That’s basically the default fried rice in HK. Every darn restaurant has it on their menu.

Edit: I should also add that char siu and shrimp are the two default proteins in Yeung Chow fried rice if you’re in HK.

1 Like

Thanks. Learning!

1 Like

Looks great! But bro you forgot the ong choy looks like too much Yeet hay

1 Like

I go by the PRD motto: Yeet Hay Life :rofl:

4 Likes

Don’t forget #WuTang

7 Likes

@moonboy403

I am sure you saw this but since we love rice rolls

Did you talk to him about the rice rolls at HK Cafe? Lol

7 Likes

Lol. No I didn’t. I wonder if he made his own rice rolls.

1 Like

7 Likes

I’ll find out for you I asked on IG.

1 Like

Well… somebody asked both those questions on IG. :wink: No, the rice rolls are not made in-house and yes, he likes HK Cafe’s.

1 Like

Needle Siu Yeh - Part II

Cherng Fun Skewer (Rice Rolls) w/Sesame Sauce, Soy Sauce, Hoisin Sauce, Sesame Seeds, Sriracha

The rice rolls cooked on the grill were sooo good and I loved the nuttiness of the sesame sauce. :hearts:

What did I tell ya’? Nailed it!

Oyster Shrooms w/Scallion Oil & Spicy Salt

Can you say Vegan Bacon?!! :yum:

Jidori Chicken Wing w/Scallion Oil & Spicy Salt

Isn’t she pretty?! Evenly cooked, golden brown skin, a little char, moist, juicy meat. Delicious. :hearts:

Salmon Creek Farms Pork Jowl w/Black Bean Sauce

Same porky, fatty, slightly crunchy, delicious. They upped the char and I like it. :blush:

Quail w/Black Pepper Sauce

Oh my! Perfectly cooked, moist & juicy. The black pepper sauce took me to the Caribbean! Yep, the Caribbean! It’s like a less spicy, less sweet jerk sauce married a curried goat sauce. :hearts::blush::hearts:

Snake River American Wagyu Lifter Beef w/Curry Oil

Good beefy flavor, nicely grilled, still a little chewy for my taste, but my beef lovin’ hubby liked the chew. :slightly_smiling_face:

Almond “Jello” - Orange, Nectarine, Mango, Pluot, Goji Berry, Lychee Jelly

I have to admit to not completely getting the love when I first tried it. Maybe because I was focused on reheating the Char Siu correctly and the Lettuce Cups. I thought it was pleasant. Not this time. I get it @PorkyBelly. Fantastic!:hearts:

I paid more attention to how every thing was prepared and cooked this time and not necessarily how well spiced the meat was compared to last time, so I can’t really say. Chef Ryan did say the scallion oil was blended not infused this time @moonboy403 and @butteredwaffles. :slightly_smiling_face:

Happy Siu Yeh!

18 Likes