Future ideas on turbo charge:

Sunny side up, double eggs, soy sauce, no veg, low tech colored plates

Triple eggs, more special soy sauce, no veg. Blue plate special

Smooth scrambled eggs, soy sauce.

5 Likes

I’m into that smooth scramble!

2 Likes

Anyone get lucky with Sorrowful

let’s just say that it’s sold out. better luck next week!

what did you think of the fried rice @moonboy403, how’s the wok hei?

PRD
@Chowseeker1999 I didn’t get to try their Sorrowful Rice, but judging from your pictures, they look pretty good!

Yunnan Fried Rice

Here are a few thoughts:

• loved the effort of chopping the ingredients into small pieces and properly browning them to maximize their flavor
  • loved that PRD uses a wok for fried rice given their kitchen constraints and the wok’s breath shows up a bit on the fried rice
  • Broadbent’s dry aged country ham is dense with an intensely salty but complex flavors. It’s reminiscent of anther famous Chinese dry-cured ham - Jinhua ham.
  • texture of the fried rice isn’t bad at all but there were too many clumps of rice and broken grains
  • It’s my first time having potato in my fried rice and they lend a slightly waxy texture contrast and mild sweetness to the fried rice. Are these purple sweet potatoes??
  • fried rice have big notes of peppers and aggressively salted so it can be one noted and overwhelming at times when my bite happens to have too much aged ham

Won Kok Restaurant

Baked Char Siu Bao & Sweetheart Cake
They’re pretty run-of-the-mill stuff but all 4 for $6 total! They’re giant too.

Ginormous bao with generous fillings that will fill you up.

Ratio of pastry and wintermelon filling’s a bit off.

13 Likes

that’s some impressive sheen.

5 Likes

If you want cheap check out Longs Family Pastry, they got snow mountain char siu bao and Big Chicken Bao (Dai Gai Bao…chicken, mushroom, Chinese sausage, and a egg)

1 Like

Thanks for the heads up! I don’t think I’ve ever been there but my family had been a life long supporter of Won Kok lol. How are their stuff?

My mom used to work DTLA and all her Canto friends would get a box of Dai Bao’s and snow mountain char siu bao. A Dai Bao makes a quick easy breakfast. The snow mountains can sell out if you go too late especially when @J_L treats the office. Its blue collar. I have a soft spot for Chinese bakeries though.

Have you been back to Hong Kong Cafe for those rice rolls?

2 Likes

I went there in the early days of the lockdown and got my usual milk tea and cheong fun. Now I’m craving them again! I have yet to discover another place in SGV that can replicate their cheong fun…

2 Likes

@JLee With your Sorrowful Rice’s success, perhaps it’s time to tackle your next project?

The famous “Exploding Pissing Beef Ball”!

They even heal patients with anorexia.

4 Likes

Yes.

3 Likes

:open_mouth: those expressions :joy:

1 Like

Sounds lovely.

It was when I was growing up (always in the cupboard) but for making fudge, brittles, baking and stuff.

1 Like

You’re talking about the people who invented Campbell’s Soup, TV Dinners and Minute Rice. Angelenos aren’t the rest of ‘Murica. :grin:

1 Like

That extra bit of milk fat comes in handy.

1 Like

Apparently we don’t get enough salt and cholesterol and have been doing it wrong

Salted egg yolk stuffed char siu. Apparently it’s been a thing in Hong Kong and Southern China…

The new mooncakes!

9 Likes

I love char siu. I love salted egg yolks. I’d eat that.

1 Like