Kevin's latest column in LA Weekly

When consumers change eating habits and consume a product that contains ingredients that weren’t consumed by those comsumers before, I think it’s a pretty safe assumption that the increase in the consumption of that product and it’s ingredients increases demand for those ingredients.

Yellowfin currently is not threatened. Bluefin used to be the same. Increase in demand obviously played a big part in the bluefin’s implosion. Will yellowfin play out the same? Considering consumers are eating poke in much larger numbers than any other seafood item that the consumer market has seen in a long time, I think it’s safe to consider the days of plentiful ahi are numbered.

3 Likes

Poke - Conflicted

Credit Card Only Spots - Haven’t been.

Avocado Toast - Love it.

Large Format Dishes - I’m tired of sharing my food.

Lobster Rolls - There’s no such thing as too much lobster roll. Pissed I never made it to K&C!

@kevin is clever one, isn’t he? Love his Best Food Trends list.

I’ll eat yours[quote=“TheCookie, post:22, topic:4772”]
Credit Card Only Spots - Haven’t been.
[/quote]

I like this trend. Fuck Cash.[quote=“TheCookie, post:22, topic:4772”]
Avocado Toast - Love it.
[/quote]

Me too. Pea toast too. And the Ikura Toast I had last night.[quote=“TheCookie, post:22, topic:4772”]
Large Format Dishes - I’m tired of sharing my food.
[/quote]

I’m with @Kevin and @TheCookie , this is getting annoying.[quote=“TheCookie, post:22, topic:4772”]
Lobster Rolls - There’s no such thing as too much lobster roll. Pissed I never made it to K&C!
[/quote]

There is such thinng as too many lousy lobster rolls. If only they were good, like on the East Coast.

2 Likes

re: Large Format Dishes
for someone like myself who is a pig, rarely are the small plates adequate to fill me up.
the RESTAURANT says that those Large Format Dishes are for sharing, but, to me, they are really single serving dishes.
(e.g. i’ve never brought anyone to lukshon who ordered the beef with brocolli that didn’t down the whole dish themselves. the restaurant claims that the dish serves two people)

3 Likes

Who can dish out so much duck breast and foie gras for $75 that’s it’s too much for one person?

Life must be pretty damn sweet when the worst trends include avocado toast and lobster rolls.

4 Likes

I’m going to confuse everyone and quote your quotes of my quotes.

[quote=“CiaoBob, post:23, topic:4772”]
I like this trend. Fuck Cash.
[/quote]Like my man. The guy never carries cash. I stick a twenty in his wallet.

[quote=“CiaoBob, post:23, topic:4772”]
the Ikura Toast I had last night.
[/quote]I think I saw that in DOTM. It was a beautiful thing. [quote=“CiaoBob, post:23, topic:4772”]
There is such thinng as too many lousy lobster rolls.
[/quote]Well maybe I haven’t had enough of them then…

See that’s the thing. It’s rarely “large format”. It’s just food sharing. I can appreciate it at a place like Animal. The menu is unusual for first timers. So it’s a good idea to share, to see if you like a dish described as “beef tendon w/thai-basil dip”. Huh? Yummy btw. But I think you hit on something… With most places it’s just a corner cutting gimmick.

3 Likes

I’ve never had this issue either. I do reheat them on the grill for about 10 minutes – we like the flavor they get.

A whole pig’s head is a whole lot of food. Cockscomb in SF serves a half, and I wouldn’t order that with fewer than four people.

Dishes like that can be a lot of fun for a like-minded group, but on the other hand I wouldn’t go back to Chi Spacca by myself.

True.
I would just add that the ubiquity of the format is making me slightly suspicious of restaurant motivation. It is a lot easier to prepare one dish/sides for the table than x individual dishes/sides. Plus if they pick the right kind of marquee item they can really goose up the bill (pun intended).

2 Likes

The credit card onl thing is stupid. I went to the dog park today, so I just had sunglasses, phone and a twenty. Destroyer is right down the street and I wanted sunchoke soup, but I didn’t get to have sunchoke soup because they’re too stoopid to know how the make change. :money_with_wings::money_with_wings::money_with_wings:

5 Likes

Yah… those kind of meals are fun. I like family-style or a big clam bake or a messy seafood boil. But now, at every other restaurant you get this speech “Our menu is designed to share. I suggest this many dishes…” :rolling_eyes:.

Story: Even at my beloved Animal it can be trying. We took 2 of our dear friends. The wife selected a menu item she wanted. When it came, she naturally pulled the plate in front of her. Her DH scolded her about not sharing. The poor girl was trying to enjoy dinner out with friends. She didn’t know there were rules. Enough!

2 Likes

Okay, now that is a mistake on their part. You know I think that place and the chef is quirky and beyond. But you, you’re one of Destroyer’s champions, and you couldn’t even get a damn bowl of sunchoke soup.

Note to self: @westsidegal is not a cheap date.

My gf and I have the opposite problem. We LOVE the smaller plate stuff because it’s the only way we get to TRY stuff.
We never get apps because then we’ll NEVER finish an entree. It’s a 50/50 shot any time I go out that I won’t have leftovers from a single entree.

I’ll happily order a small portion for $7 rather than the large for $10, you know? That way I can eat everything in front of me that I want, and stand less of a chance of hating myself later that evening.

@westsidegal My husband would agree with you. He really dislikes the smaller plates trend. He always says there’s never enough food.

2 Likes

Er, he can order more :slight_smile: We love eating this way. Whether you call it small plates or apps, we love trying all sorts of different things.

You’re a funny guy. Good to see you posting.

I agree with you and @catholiver to a certain extent. Appetizers, hors d’oeuvres, pu pu platters, small bites, whatever, are my favorite way to eat… at a party, cozy night at home or out for cocktails. But in a restaurant with a group it’s a pain in the ass.

Ah yes. I can’t think of the last time we ate out with a group so I agree with you.

1 Like

@catholiver Not if I’m full to the brim. He doesn’t want to eat a whole dish alone.