Kim's Restaurant On Crenshaw Closed By Anti-Chinese Harassment

when people are angry and frightened they invariably seek a target to blame. when it reaches a critical mass bad things happen. i hope it doesn’t happen here.

1 Like

Do you have info about the type of harassment or who was doing it? Was it young or old people? It’s hard to believe folks who know them and grew up eating their food would react this way… :thinking:

Not much information out there. I found out from a thread on Nextdoor from a posting from one of the customers who made the discovery. The security guard told her that the restaurant closed because of harassment, as did an employee at the nearby Orleans & York. People in the neighborhood are upset and would like to show their support but nobody knows how to contact the owner. Frank Shyong of the LA Times said he’ll try to track them down.

5 Likes

Thanks @chandavkl.

Good news! The neighborhood has rallied in support of the restaurant and apparently convinced the owner to reopen later this month.

13 Likes

HURRAH!! Will be keeping my ear to the ground… I seriously miss noodles…

1 Like

I’ll trade you some couple packages of chinese noodles for some yeast LOL!

1 Like

Just got Epircurus Gourmet’s latest email. They received a pallet of Giusto’s flour and yeast today. Its North Hollywood so its a schlep, but they have it in stock.

1 Like

Oh good. :slightly_smiling_face: I called them after your post just to see if it was temporary and there was no answer. :slightly_frowning_face:

1 Like

Kim’s has reopened as the result of a groundswell of neighborhood support. Good to see the community coming together in support of a local restaurant which may not be a destination eatery, but has served its community well for decades.

10 Likes

Happy to report that Kims was on the menu tonight! Something about this over cast weather today and reading about @Jase’s love for Sweet and Sour Pork, P got on his bike and headed straight down there!

We got our favorite, the Chow Mein with the Crispy Noodles. Decided to try it with Chicken and the bits of chicken thing where plentiful and plump. So many veggies.

We got another favorite… Asparagus with Black Bean Sauce. Yep. Those giant things are asparagus. I have no idea where they get these fatty asparagus EVERYDAY. Lovely sauce… not too salty…

Finally… Sweet and Sour Pork… I love this dish and can’t remember the last time I ordered and where. It was just something we would always get as a kid on one of those pick five chiense banquet sorta places my parents loved… As you can see with the pineapple… this was pure old skool. Admittedly… it did suffer from traveling (and a little delay when P was so excited he left home without a mask… so he pedaled back… Thank GAWD Kim’s is so close…) so we can’t wait to try it when they open the dinning room again (Which sadly P said was not quite ready yet…) .

Even so, we will probably continue to do the take out thing for a while as it’s something we have always enjoyed. So we may skip these super crispy dishes for now but luckily Kims has many wonderful dishes in addition to these…

15 Likes

Tonight’s dinner, tomorrow’s lunch, possibly dinner…

The box is not only the perfect, snug carrier, but also for neatly sticking leftovers in the fridge. Way better than bags. It’s the little things. :slightly_smiling_face:

Tofu in Brown Sauce :hearts:, Chicken Chow Mein, BBQ Fried Rice, Beef & Green Beans, Kung Pao Chicken

I tend to overbuy when there’s too many choices… plus I figured hubby needed a break from my love of chicken. You must be a VIP @Dommy because I wanted Asparagus in Black Bean Sauce, but the counter lady said they don’t have Asparagus. :smirk: But no worries. Everything was really fresh and piping hot @PorkyBelly, even after traveling. Chicken is really tender. And nothing was salty. New-school could learn from old-school, because they leave it for the customer to salt or soy sauce to their own taste… and I don’t mean newer Chinese restaurants, I mean all newer restaurants. Yep, we enjoyed Kim’s. :blush:

Question @chandavkl - is this the original location or is it the same restaurant that was attached to the bowling alley back in the day?

8 Likes

No, I think that was Tak’s Coffee Shop, accessible from the Crenshaw side of Crenshaw Square, that was run by the onetime owners of the Holiday Bowl coffee shop.

2 Likes

Okay, I didn’t think it was the same. Different food. Kim’s is fresh, not greasy or salty… things I loved as a kid when I wasn’t worried about cholesterol, blood pressure or my waistline.

Taks is still there… it’s got a hot griddle and yeah… it’s greasy and heavy… but it really hits the spot in the mornings…

2 Likes

Oh no!! I have always gotten the asparagus… hopefully it’s just a seasonal supply thing. :confused: Otherwise, I am glad you enjoyed it. I am going to have to try that tofu in brown sauce! It looks amazing!! Enjoy the left overs… it holds well. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You’re making me like Kim’s even more… seasonal! :grin: Yup, that Tofu in Brown Sauce is sooo good!

Hubs lived off 39th when he was little and I lived with my cousins off-and-on in View Park before we all moved to the Miracle Mile. But the landscape on Crenshaw is so changing I hadn’t noticed the coffee shop is still there just that the bowling alley is now a big Starbucks. I always liked that greasy goodness too, but had an even bigger thing for Yee’s on Slausen. :slightly_smiling_face:

Yes, Yees and Jim’s, quintessential plexiglass Chinese cuisine.

1 Like

Had to report back on the Pressed Duck that @chandavkl posted about here:

AMAH-zing… And I don’t even like duck. It’s not quite duck pate or floss. but the texture is like a savory pudding with shreds of duck. We were so pleased that when we went to pick up the order… there was at least four others who ordered it as well! So again, more orders… more turn over and hopefully consistency…

We got our standard order of Pan Fried Noodle Squares and chicken. Always delicious. We also ordered the Stringbeans with Beef for the first time. The beef wasn’t anything to phone home about… but the string beans were wonderfully prepared. Will order next time with pork… We also tried the egg drop soup… it was a little salty for me… but for my brother he doused it with soy sauce like he usually does… LOL!!

The one thing to note is that it was BUSY. They have a number call out system for pick up, even if you call ahead of time. So there can be some confusion. But it was great to see so many orders they were putting out. Them in addition to the line we saw outside of Southern Girl Bakes, made me feel very grateful for the support in the neighborhood.

–Dommy!

6 Likes

Oh yum… looking forward to that Duck. I felt the same way about the String Beans & Beef. The beef was a little chewy.

Really happy for Southern Girl Bakes but not surprised… desserts are a must right now! I :hearts: the Sweet Potato Cupcakes w/the piece of caramelized sweet potato on top!

1 Like