Kinkan (Japanese Thai in Virgil Village)

Warrior: Kinkan is an ambitious Thai restaurant with a ten-course menu of fancy small plates that use Japanese main ingredients such as wagyu, unagi, raw fish, uni, and ikura. Some sources (e.g., Eater) call the restaurant Japanese, but I think the dishes are more Thai at heart. The execution of the dishes tonight was generally good, and they were all creative and presented well. I found all the sauces tasty and refined. I was unconvinced, however, about the merits of the raw fish and Thai flavor combinations. I appreciate the restaurant’s courage and creativity, but part of me wishes it didn’t have such heavy Japanese influences. I think the restaurant would have Michelin-star potential as a purer Thai restaurant. In its current form, I have my doubts—fusion food is hard. But there was enough promise tonight that we will definitely go back. Overall, I recommend this restaurant to everyone, and I’ll be curious to see what other think. It is currently BYOB.

Peony: I enjoyed the meal tonight. Notwithstanding the Japanese elements, I feel the main style is elevated, high-end Thai food. I liked the combinations of Thai spices with raw fish, which worked really well and were quite exciting. I also liked that the chef was light with the Thai spices and sauces, so they didn’t overpower the seafood flavor. I feel this food may work well as high-end Thai food by itself.

11 Likes

Never heard of this place. Seems like a really ambitious restaurant for that part of town.

Is the service formal to match the plating of the food? Price?

1 Like

Warrior: Yes, the restaurant is a surprise. We just saw it pop up on Tock and decided to make a reservation. It is slightly less than $200 per person, with service included. I would say it is a fair value given the pricy ingredients. The service was sweet, not at all formal. (I believe our server was the owner/chef’s daughter.) Every seat in the restaurant, including the bar seats, was occupied, but the restaurant did a good job moving things along. The closest comparison (in terms of overall feel) would be Kato (or at least Kato as I remember it three years ago).

A lovely meal. My review is forthcoming…

2 Likes

It was formerly a pop-up, but this is the brick and mortar space they’d been looking to open.

3 Likes

it’s owned by Nan who previously was in the fashion industry and only recently taken up food/japanese cuisine. She has since hired a team of Thai chefs and her Japanese mentor Chef Yasu who is the other person behind the bar ( along w/ Nan). So while we were all baking sourdough, Nan learned to make IG worthy bentos during the pandemic and now has a restaurant. Pretty amazing.

9 Likes

wasn’t there some controversy surrounding Nan on IG?

2 Likes

Yup: she kept using photos of Japanese chefs’ bento/dishes via Andrew Gyokudari’s IG and presenting them as her works without crediting the photos or specific dishes, then when called out made her IG private. Of course no one really cared, and it was forgotten after the next news cycle…

Edit: there are actually a couple of other minor things, but they’re not public so I’m not at liberty to discuss. But credit to her for being extremely PR/social-savvy and targeting the perfect clientele.

8 Likes

Yeah I remember Jimmy Sugi or maybe some other bento chefs doing take out at that time calling her out on IG—and even one of the photos that was used in Bill Addison’s LA times feature possibly wasn’t hers. Don’t think anything came out of it though.

7 Likes

Dang, I did not know that…

4 Likes

Warrior: We didn’t mention in our review that the (delicious) dessert came from Bahn Kanom Thai, but the waitress was quick to let us know when we praised it.

1 Like

was it listed on the menu.

1 Like

Warrior: there was no menu. They didn’t try to hide it; the (amazing) coconut cream pudding thing came in the same metal foil that you would see at Bahn Kanom Thai. The dessert course was really good (it was my favorite course, actually). But I would like to see this restaurant striving to make its own desserts. I can go to Bahn Kanom Thai any time. Anyway, it is hardly my intent to pile on. I’d like to be supportive and to cut some slack.

1 Like

Anyone been recently? They had a LOT of buzz and then I stopped hearing anything about it for the past two or so years. Trying to figure out if it’s still worthwhile—current tasting menu is $185.

Went a few weeks ago.

We had some great dishes and it was a fun dinner. Some pacing issues with serving the entire restaurant at once. Most warm things were pretty cold by the time they reached us.

There were some great bites like the tuna tart with curry, a solid kisu tempura course, very good crab rice with stone crab claw. Sauces were particularly good. The last course of a pasta with pamang bolognese was good but…hardly a hint of panang just a good bolognese haha.

Our dessert was a coconut ish sauce with squishy multicolored rice balls (dyed with dif things like butterfly pea) I didn’t gather that it was from somewhere else because they brought out the other chef who they said made it? The chef is SUPER nice and we had a pleasant time talking to her at the counter. Music choices were a bit…much. (They played a song from the muppets movie multiple times at the end)

Anyway, there were some good ingredients but hard to justify the price tag. Maybe 150 tops would be worth it.

3 Likes

Odds dessert is from Bhan Kanom again? :rofl:

2 Likes

we need a pic to do some forensic analysis.

or maybe it might be from the new Bhan Kanom dessert spot Kanomwaan.

Think you’re right.

1 Like

Was it Rainbow Connection? That song’s so good I’d listen to it on replay.