Kodo - Arts District

New izakaya restaurant from former hamasaku sergio, yoya-san. f&f happening now, reservations now open. review forthcoming…?

Kodo
710 South Santa Fe Avenue
Los Angeles, CA 90021

8 Likes

Price???

2 Likes

So confused by that address

fixed, thanks.

Oh I always thought he was also the owner of hamasaku

No that’d be Michael Ovitz. Yoya-san is/was the hired hand there.

1 Like

Although you can get a reservation on Resy for today, they are not actually open. They screwed up.

1 Like

???

1 Like

search???

2 Likes

saba bozushi alert

nsfw

15 Likes

4 Likes

how was the food other than the saba bozushi?

1 Like

Love it! :blush:

1 Like

Our verdict is not bad but not good. Raw bar was better than kitchen. We would recommend kinjiro instead. Peony says: maybe say something positive. The service is friendly and tries very hard.

5 Likes

Same! Sushi and associated raw stuff strong, Robata middling. The service was very friendly but overwhelmed. Forgivable since they’re opening.

Given the price it’s a tough needle to thread. And for the life of me I’ll never understand the heavy Palo Santo at restaurants. It’s not a freaking home goods store in Ojai.

2 Likes

besides our first order of saba bozushi, our second order of saba bozushi was great too.

5 Likes

Thoughts on food other than saba bozushi:

Gem Lettuce Caesar - Roasted Bonito, Peppercorn Pecorino

Pretty heavily dressed, and also definitely not gem lettuce. Still tasted good though, and the shaved bonito instead of anchovy did work.

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Dashimaki

Came out piping hot and while good, it wasn’t elite. I prefer the rolled egg omelet / tamago sando made by Moon and Sun available during the day at Rykn Cafe.

Shrimp Zume - Anaheim Chili, Shrimp Paste, Hakusai

Throughly enjoyed these, but deep fried thing + shrimp paste has a high floor.

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Yoshiko’s Chicken - Jidori Wing, White Pepper Glaze

Somehow tinier than the wings we got at n/soto, and honestly just aggressively mediocre.

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Saba Bozushi x1

:metal: I will come back just for more of this.

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Negima

Well cooked and tasty, but the skin was unevenly crisp. I’d get it again though.

Tsukune

This could have been so much better and I’d order it again to see if it improves because I see the potential. The flavor was there, the runny egg was great, and presentation was novel, but I did end up biting into a piece of bone.

Grilled Ebi

LDE

Hot Somen - Tai Seabream, Fish Stock, Bok Choy

Light and refreshing with a nicely cooked piece of fish. Of the two “finishing dishes” (i.e. carb forward) that we had, I preferred this one.

Mushi Zushi - Salmon, Steamed Sushi Rice, Lotus Root, Shiitake, Endo-Peas, wrapped in Hoba

I wish this was better… it was just a bunch of stuff rolled up in some rice and lacked seasoning. I’ll try the salmon ochazuke next time.

Kodo Maki

Nothing super remarkable, but satisfying.

Saba Bozushi x2

So good we ordered it again :crazy_face:

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

They’ve also opened their daytime cafe, which has a small selection of food for eating there or takeaway.

Original Tamago Sando

:roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes: :roll_eyes:

Overall, I see potential here and I’m looking forward to coming back. It’s a great space and the drinks menu is compelling. This was only within their first couple days of being open, so there’s room to improve. And at the very least, I’d just go back and get 4 order of saba bozushi and still feel great about my life choices.

13 Likes

me after the first order of saba bozushi

4 Likes

Los Angeles DA should prosecute for only having 2 bites per serving.

1 Like