Konbi Ni - Echo Park

The user name of one of the haters in the screengrab is Yoknapatawpha.

3 Likes

i guess it goes to show you can never really tell how well a business is doing by outward appearancesā€¦

4 Likes

Yes but Iā€™ll leave it at that.

5 Likes

The plot thickens!

2 Likes

Did they ever open the dining room back for sandwiches? That place had very good vibesā€“and made the price (which was alot) very manageable. Was kinda a bummer to do takeout though and still be hungry after spending 23 dollars for a sando and a cortado.

2 Likes

As a send up to one of my favorites in the neighborhood, hereā€™s the final meal I had at Konbi that I never posted about :smiling_face_with_tear:

A perfect lunch :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Roasted Carrots - Shishito-Pistachio Dip, Nori

I licked the plate

Chicory Salad - Dates, Pear, Walnuts, Fiore Sardo

Konbi never made a bad cold dish

Steak Frites - Salsa Verde, Aioli

Such a shame that they really only lasted a week or two with this set up because this steak was an absolute banger

RIP

11 Likes

Damn, those carrots! Sounds fantastic.

2 Likes

I thought the same thing.

3 Likes

Damn Iā€™m gonna miss those egg salad sandwiches. R.I.P.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure which ā€œCalifornia mandated labor policies for small businessesā€ he might have meant.

After operating as a takeout-only, walk-up window during the pandemic, Konbi Ni reopened in December with a return to dine-in service and prices inclusive of service charges, all intended to create a more sustainable business model and the ability to offer employees health insurance and competitive pay.

2 Likes

Interesting read

5 Likes

This is an interesting observation:

People are also willing to pay more at dinner for the exact same thing. ā€¦ Thereā€™s no difference in the cost of labor and the cost of ingredients during the day versus at night, but you canā€™t charge what you need for it during the day.

2 Likes

nobody is willing to pay more at dinner for $6 croissants or $20 egg sandwiches.

reading the article it seems like they have an idea how to make money but they just choose to do everything else. Also, are the owners reliable narrators? Hard to tell.

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Konbi-Reviews-E2872164.htm

8 Likes

Most people donā€™t want a croissant or egg sandwich for dinner, but at many restaurants that serve both itā€™s cheaper to eat lunch than dinner.

1 Like

this is true, but smarter restaurants will cut costs at lunch too (smaller portions, less service). I donā€™t know, maybe they could figure out how to make money with these observations instead of swimming upstream? I guess itā€™s a moot point now.

4 Likes

Seems like they had a profitable business pre-pandemic. The guy can opine that even without the pandemic closures, loss of office workers in Culver City, and egg shortage and consequent high prices they would have closed anyway due to having to pay health insurance etc., but it doesnā€™t seem to be an industry-wide phenomenon that breakfast- and lunch-only places are closing.

Dinner is clearly more profitable than lunch. Much of that is surely due to alcohol sales. Thatā€™s why so many restaurants open for dinner first and then maybe expand to brunch and/or lunch later if they can figure out how to make it work.

1 Like

Yeesh those glassdoor reviews are cringe :dizzy_face:

2 Likes