Korean Fried Chicken

TL;DR: bb.q chicken experience may vary vastly from location to location.

don’t know if their practices have changed but bb.q franchises have extremely loose QC so your experience may vary from location to location (and there are some GREAT locations and some very un-great ones).

kind of a sad / long story but basically the major korean fried chicken players in Korea realized that the best way to grow the business wasn’t through actual QC/replicating the taste or being original in a competitive marketplace, but by proliferating the brand and selling franchise licenses to middle class Koreans. the barrier to entry for opening a fried chicken shop is essentially non-existent. the reason why it’s sad is that these conglomerates prey on some of the older Korean folks who are exiting the workforce (ie. got a golden handshake at their salary job in middle age) and basically entice them into opening a franchise and position it as a smart investment, only for so many of these businesses to fail and for another one to take their place while the parent company pockets franchise fees. I was able to sign up to be a bb.q chicken franchisee by literally filling out a webform.

there are more fried chicken restaurants in South Korea than there are locations of McDonald’s on planet earth… and it’s comparable to the number of KFC restaurants worldwide (China included). we love our fried chicken in Korea!

back to bb.q chicken and basically making sense of this: there was one in Koreatown that was just f—in’ awful, and then one in Fullerton (on beach and… malvern? I want to say?) that was absolutely incredible. I think both locations have now closed, and it seems another 10 will take their place :frowning:

P.S. bb.q chicken in sawtelle: straight fire
P.P.S. recommendations for korean fried chicken: 77 kentucky in koreatown, bonchon for big-ass drumstick people (i am a big-ass drumstick person, also the QC is on point it does taste similar location to location), and any mom-and-pop place inside any korean supermarket because i just love those people and admire their hard work. i will never put them down

14 Likes