L.A. restaurants hit with looting, vandalism during George Floyd protests

Insurers don’t raise premiums for one line of business to offset losses of another line since they mostly raise or decrease their rates for each line of coverage based on actuarial rates. Raising rates not related to respective line will skew their actuarial data.

I don’t think it’s true. Riot, civil commotion, and vandalism are all covered causes of loss for a typical business owner policy and even for a commercial property policy. However, there are instances where a vandalism exclusion is added to a surplus lines commercial property policy if crime in the area is bad to begin with. And even then, if the vandalism results in a covered cause of loss, say fire, then the fire damage is covered.

A standard homeowners policy will cover damage to property caused by a riot, civil commotion, or vandalism.

1 Like

Never said they did. There are always bad actors who take advantage of civil unrest and turmoil for their own gains.

You explicitly linked the protests with the damage:

The RCP has been pretty defunct in LA for a while. Their bookstore downtown got gentrified out of its space a few years back.

The damage came as a byproduct of the protests, I don’t see where my statement said the damage was done by protestors. But if you think that’s what I said, that’s not what I said.

1 Like

I guess there aren’t too many radical foodies on this board. Glad to see some folks speaking up and centering the struggle for racial justice and Black life.

18 Likes

“When I use a word,” Humpty Dumpty said, in rather a scornful tone, “it means just what I choose it to mean—neither more nor less.”

You are assigning meanings to my statements that are not there and are just being pedantic.

The damage was a byproduct of the conditions caused by the protests, but damage was not done by protestors. Is that clear enough for you?

The main thrust of my observation remains that many business owners who experienced damage still are more concerned about the cause of the protestors despite the damage they experienced. In the IG postings I saw, they did not blame the protestors, nor did I imply anything of that sort in my original posting.

There, that even clearer? Sheesh, this board sometimes.

8 Likes

The problem I have is it’s all at the moment. Its always been a struggling situation. Is it going to be the same angst 15 days from now . Or all will be forgotten. Hope not . We’ll see .

2 Likes
3 Likes

There’s probably more than obvious. This is mainly a food board and people come here for that. Although I’m quite vocal in other areas about social issues, it’s not top of mind for me here unless it’s directly related to food. I’d guess it would be the same for some other participants.

In some outlets and communities, It might be in the moment and not seen the majority of the time. But it is a constant struggle and fight in many people’s lives and their communities. I think one of the drivers of these protests is because many people feel that they haven’t been heard through the years despite repeated loud complaints. It only bubbles up to national attention periodically but even when attention is diverted, the struggle and angst is still there.

So yes, I do hope the national angst is still there 15 or more days from now and it will drive change for the better.

14 Likes

I hope so :slightly_smiling_face: And agreed. Foodies will be foodies! But in this particular thread, there’s space to recognize the bigger issues and put people over property (which some posts did :fist:)

9 Likes

Destroying people’s livelihood isn’t as bad as murder, but it’s still a terrible crime. Silverton and Krikorian are not going to end up broke because their restaurants were trashed, but some others are. Some may end up homeless or deported.

“Hey, let’s wait a month. If you still care, then we’ll talk about it.”—Neal Brennan

1 Like

That’s an interesting way of turning this quote around.

Sadly, society tends not to care in a month. Not even about important things. That’s basically how we got here.

6 Likes

I place fault at the system that puts folks, from protestors to looters to small business owners, in situations of precarity.

8 Likes

Those of us who are political all the time are used to other people coming and going. I first realized that in 1970, when my apolitical friends were suddenly marching against the invasion of Cambodia. A month later they were back to focusing on whatever they usually did.

Change might be slow, but it’s happening. The cop who killed Floyd and the three other cops who were with him were all fired immediately. He was charged with murder the same week, and a few days later the other three were charged as accessories. The mayor’s criticizing the head of the police union. None of this is business as usual.

2 Likes

This is not an example of systematic change, but rather reactionary change in one incident where the existence of irrefutable evidence made any other action plainly unacceptable.

Where is the justice for these people or the institutional changes that could have prevented their deaths in the first place?

13 Likes

No, it’s not, but it still is an example (IMHO) that there is at least a realization that any other action would unacceptable. I don’t think we even had that just a few decades ago. Of course, we will need to see what a jury decides.

The possibility of institution change does exist…
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/police-qualified-immunity-rule-getting-fresh-look-supreme-080200289--abc-news-topstories.html

I have little faith in our current iteration of the Court, but, again, we will see what happens…

3 Likes

The video in this case is no more damning than videos and other evidence in numerous past cases where cops were not fired or promptly charged and politicians deferred to the police unions. How much effect this has in future cases, unfortunately we’ll probably find out.

2 Likes