L.A.'s New Weekly, Outdoor, Semi-Permananent(?), Organized Food Festival - Smorgasburg [Thoughts + Pics]

Update:

Returned back to try a few more items and someone was interested in checking out the festival as well.

Smorgasburg definitely feels like it’s picking up in terms of popularity. There were some insane lines today. At least the heat was less than the previous heat wave weeks.

Goa Taco

When we got in line, it was 25+ people deep. After about 10 minutes or so, it was up to 40+ people! :open_mouth: Thankfully the lined moved relatively fast.

Their “marketing campaign” continues to work well:

@ipsedixit, you’ll be happy to know Chef-Owner Marneweck was there, manning the stoves, in from NY! :slight_smile: I asked about if they could please bring over their Lamb Shoulder or Chicken Chorizo. The server smiled at us and asked how we knew about that. I mentioned a Smiling Blue Avatar telling us that this was a must-have item. :slight_smile: She said she’d talk to Chef Marneweck about it, but said that even with just the current 2 offerings (Pork Belly and Tofu), it’s overwhelming the staff. I hope they bring it over!

Slow Roasted Pork Belly Taco (Pickled Red Cabbage, Chipotle Mayo):

This was still as tender as before. It tasted very fresh, succulent, savory, but not too salty, and the slices of crisped Pork Skin were crackling perfect. :slight_smile: The flavors were the same as before: It’s good, but it’s not transcendent. It didn’t blow us away like Taco Maria’s Pork Belly square of perfection.

Goa Taco
Sundays at Smorgasburg L.A.

Red Hook Lobster Pound

Red Hook Lobster was offering authentic Maine or Connecticut style Lobster Rolls. We had to try one. :slight_smile:

Lobster Roll, Connecticut Style (Warmed in Lemon and Butter):

The Lobster tasted pretty fresh and bright. They use Lobster Claw meat only, and while it’s generally tender, they overcooked a few chunks of the Lobster, resulting in slightly chewy pieces, but I’d say about 80% of it was cooked just fine.

It was pretty savory and delicious, almost as good as Lobsta Truck a few years ago (we haven’t had a chance to go back since). But overall, Connie & Ted’s remains our favorite. And Connie & Ted’s uses all of the Maine Lobster (Lobster Tail, Claw and Knuckle), cooked perfectly, with a delicious bun.

Still, if you’re at this food festival, this is a pretty solid offering. :slight_smile:

Red Hook Lobster Pound
Sundays at Smorgasburg.

Porridge & Puffs

News alert: Today was Porridge and Puffs’ last day for the Summer at Smorgasburg LA! :frowning: Looks like they’re doing pop-ups in Copenhagen and other cities (cool for them!), and they’re looking for a brick and mortar. Chef Minh mentioned she wasn’t sure which day they were returning to Smorgasburg, so check their Instagram.

Lychee Iced Tea:

Refreshing, non-sweetened, with a hint of Lychee. Perfect.

Pickles & Jam Porridge (Scallion Porridge, Spicy Makrut, Lemongrass Savory Jam, Seasonal Pickles, Herbs + Shiso Hibiscus Pickled Egg):

Like their Poultry Porridge last time, this was outstanding! The Lemongrass and Makrut Savory Jam lent a real surprising savoriness, slightly tart, perfect amount of salt, vegetal, Spring-like and just satisfying. The Heirloom Rice they used gave the Porridge a really satisfying texture (not too mushy, just the right amount of body). @MaladyNelson this is worth a try if you get a chance. :slight_smile:

Note: Today was the last Sunday at Smorgasburg for the Summer. Check on their website for details on where they’re doing pop-ups.

Porridge & Puffs

Rucker’s Pies

There were new seasonal pies from Pastry Chef Nicole Rucker.

July Flame Peach Pie:

This was a touch on the tart side, with a nice deep Peach punch of aroma. It was still sweet, but had a balance of tart and sweetness. Interesting.

Summer Apple Rose Pie:

Made with Dorsett Golden Apples, this was a pretty spectacular Apple Pie. :slight_smile: I didn’t really notice the Rose accents, but perhaps it was in the background to grant just enough fragrance to make it standout from the standard Apple Pie you might be used to.

Rucker’s Pies

Donut Friend

Donut Friend was one of the booths we didn’t get to try last time. Their display of Donuts looks amazing.

Green Teagan and Sara Donut (Raised Donut with Matcha Tea Glaze, Freeze Dried Raspberries, and Black Sesame Seeds):

This sounded better than it tasted. Sadly, the Green Tea glaze was just OK. The “Black Sesame” was literally just a tiny sprinkling of Black Sesame Seeds (very sparse).

Fritter Seems Forever (Raised Dough Smashed with Baked Apples):

This was the sweetest of the Donuts, with a crunchy exterior (fried a bit longer than their other offerings). It was rather straightforward.

Javabreaker (Coffee Infused Donut with Espresso Infused Glaze):

The Espresso Glaze was pretty impressive, really fragrant and deeply Coffee-ish. Sadly, the actual Donut tasted rather dry and bland, with almost no notes of being “Coffee-infused.” :frowning:

Donut Friend
Sundays at Smorgasburg.
http://donutfriend.com/wp3/

Every Sunday:
10:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.

Smorgasburg L.A.
(at the Alameda Produce Market)
S. Alameda Street & Bay Street
Los Angeles, CA 90021

6 Likes

You crack me up.

1 Like

I must say I greatly envy your food adventures, @Chowseeker1999!

Porridge and Puffs’ pickles and jam porridge is a true sight to behold. Hopefully, I’ll be able to chase them down later this year. Thanks so much for your contributions to FTC, and I always appreciate your suggestions.

2 Likes

That Pickles and Jam porridge looks so amazing and unique. Are they leaving Los Angeles forever?

Hi @Bookwich,

No. Chef Minh said that their pop-ups in other countries is just for the rest of the Summer. Hopefully they come back to L.A. soon. She mentioned she was hoping to find a brick-and-mortar in L.A. somewhere that would work.

Hi @MaladyNelson,

It really was delicious. :slight_smile: I really hope they come back to L.A. soon (either at Smorgasburg or their own store). Really enjoy their Porridge offerings.

2 Likes

Visit was okay.

Momo, wasn’t quite the sweet/fatty pork I had been served by the Grandson in South Central tent. Some of the charm is lost in that aspect, sitting with locals, BYOB, and the Grandson offering “samples” of random pork parts.

Red Hook Lobster, sweet buttered roll and lemon, check! Rubbery lobster? Sad Panda. Had Santa Monica’s Seafood Lobster Roll 2 weeks ago, and that was rubber too. So far Knuckle and Claw has the best cooked, haven’t had Connie and Teds though.

Summer Crab, Soft Shell Crab with Singapore Chilli Sauce. LOVE the concept and idea. No texture or slight crunch. No heat.

Guerrilla, the Fish Taco was great! I would like a little acid. The Roasted Chicken was salty. The Sweet Potato, when I had this taco before there was some body to it, but today it was mushy, and little feta…so I missed that sweet-salty play. The Ahi Tostada was good.

Random thoughts:
-Not enough seating.
-If you don’t mind standing or popping a Asian squat there is some shaded tents before the restrooms.
-There is a beer garden with Angel City brews.
-I regret not trying out the pastrami.

5 Likes

Thanks for the report @JeetKuneBao!

Red Hook: Wow, bummer. When we went the Lobster wasn’t rubbery, it was tender, but not as good as Lobsta Truck or Connie & Ted’s for sure, but decent. Sounds like they’re inconsistent.

Glad to hear Guerilla Tacos is back at the event.

Did you notice if Rucker’s Pies was there? They are right next to Guerilla.

Easier to fit more food into the belly in that position.

1 Like

It’s also good for your colon

Ruckers was there today. I wanted a slice but I could not fit anymore food, anymore I would have given birth to twin food babys, Puke and Poop.

2 Likes

I hopped over to Smorgasborg. I tried last week, and got there at 4:50, but the security wouldn’t let me in to buy a Rucker’s pie since they stop letting people in at 4:45. Pro Tip for anyone thinking they can sneak in last minute to get a pie or anything else quickly.

Worked out this time and scored a full blackberry blood orange pie. I don’t fully understand what makes these pies so good, but she works with blackberries like no other pie maker I have ever experienced. Her crusts have this sensual thickness to them, and the pie just strikes a perfect balance between the worlds of sweet/tart and buttery richness. Easily worth $42. I think I sold several other people on her pies while waiting in line at Goa Taco haha

Ugly Drum was sold out by the time I got there (3 PM). Which was sad, but Goa Taco was still going so decided to try one. They sold out of the tofu though (hilariously LA). The girl taking orders almost had a heart attack when she saw me squirting a ton of their habanero sauce onto my taco, but I assured her that I eat habanero almost daily. I thought that sauce was great and wished I had put more on. Did not feel the need for a drink or anything, just the right amount of heat. However, the base chipotle aioli + juicy pork + crispy skin + cabbage and the perfect, impossibly flaky paratha in general made for a very rich and fully satisfying experience that had a bit of everything you could want in it. Supremely elemental and indelible.

4 Likes

Went by and grabbed a few items.

Black Sugar BBQ, mehville BBQ. Don’t waste your time. Beef rib was chewy and lacked smoke. Hot link was good but drowned in average tasting sauce. MBMC has nothing to worry about.

Then SideChick for hainan chicken. Pretty good stuff. I would go back again if I had the itch.

Rucker Pie buttermilk berry pie :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes: probably my favorite to date.

7 Likes

Thanks for taking one for the team for that new BBQ place.

Is SideChick that one Hainan Chicken pop-up from the Chinatown event?

That Buttermilk Berry Pie looks amazing. Sounds so good. :slight_smile:

Yeah, pretty sure it is @JLee spot. And yeah, grab that pie if if you see it. It was damn good.

PSA: Ugly Drum does not sell hot dogs anymore. Kinda of bummed out today as I went soley for pie and hot dogs.

Ah will have to check out the chix rice next Sunday. Never made it to the Thurs events.

Was pleasantly surprised at how well organized this whole event is. Parking is easy and plentiful. There was a much larger amount of shaded seating areas and picnic tables than I had imagined based on some of the earlier visits. The bathrooms were cleaner than lots of other food halls.

Onto the food. The best vendors who we’d definitely recommend and go back to
Guerilla Tacos - the potato and pancetta taco was outstanding. I liked the sweet potato taco as well but my wife didn’t care for it. The salsas on each had the right amount of heat that complimented but didn’t overpower.
Mozzarella stick guys - my son loves mozzarella sticks and said these were the best he ever had. Not a very high bar but I have to order these every time we come.
Rucker’s Pies - amazing crust. White nectarine pie had juicy sweet fruit while not too sweet. A perfect bite with a buttery crust.

I thought Goa Taco was over priced and had like 5 pieces of thin pork belly. There were no crunchy bits either. I wouldn’t wait on the line and very poor QPR at $9.

Donut Friend was eh. Only had the dark chocolate with sprinkles but didn’t do much for me. I don’t think an outdoor venue translates well for donuts that are sitting out.

6 Likes

So do the vendors change from week to week? How do you know who is there when? I looked on their website but it just lists all vendors, with no schedule as to when they will be there.

Also, does anyone know if Goa Tacos makes their parathas fresh, or if they use the frozen kind?

I saw them pulling paratha’s out of a cooler and tossing them onto the grill. They still taste pretty incredible though. However, I am admittedly not a paratha connoisseur.

1 Like

FYI - Sunday August 21st is BBQ Day at Smogasburg. Announced on their IG feed.

Bludso’s and Barrel and Ashes are among a bunch of BBQ vendors who will be there this Sunday along with all the regular vendors.

3 Likes

Hi @js76wisco,

Thanks for the heads up! :slight_smile:

Bludso’s is usually good (curious if Kevin Bludso himself will be there (that would be awesome)).

Barrel & Ashes can be hit or miss, but some good stuff.

Haven’t heard of some of the other newcomers. From Smorgasburg’s FB:

"Join us for our first annual Barbecue Day, featuring some of the best barbecue that L.A. has to offer! Our excellent weekly smoked meat vendors Ugly Drum & Black Sugar Rib Co will be joined by:

Bludso’s Bar and Que
Barrel and Ashes
Ol’ Skool BBQ
Stoked California BBQ (a brand new Santa Maria style bbq company!)

PLUS there will be BBQ specials from some of our other regular vendors, like BBQ’d oysters from The Jolly Oyster, BBQ pizza from Pizzanista!, Argentine ribs from Elvio’s Chimichurri, and a Cheezus sandwich made with brisket from Horse Thief BBQ."

Argentine Ribs from Elvio’s Chimichurri sounds interesting, and a new Santa Maria style BBQ restaurant (Stoked California BBQ).