L.A.'s New Weekly, Outdoor, Semi-Permananent(?), Organized Food Festival - Smorgasburg [Thoughts + Pics]

Yeah, I’m sort of ashamed of myself for not returning there more often.

Is the parking situation still as easy as before? Thinking about checking it out this weekend.

Hi @Bigmouth,

Yes, still plentiful, and 2 hours free.

1 Like

I finally got downtown today to check out Smorgasburg and the pastrami. I absolutely agree w/ Chowseeker. The bread was an epic fail (mine started disintegrating halfway through the first half of my sandwich) and was a total mess by the time I got through the last bites. The pastrami was really good—it could have used a bit more spice, but overall very tasty with a great fatty texture.

Since I was solo, I didn’t try out anything else (except a glass of wine). I would have loved some clam pizza if I could have gotten a slice vs a whole pie. Goa looked really good too.

4 Likes

[quote=“LAgirl, post:104, topic:3628”]
Since I was solo, I didn’t try out anything else (except a glass of wine).
[/quote]What discipline you have.

1 Like

lol. it’s much less about discipline and more about the fact that my post-50 body and appetite no longer function like a 35yr old. :unamused:

3 Likes

Doesn’t that suck? I was a child athlete = good muscle memory. Because of that I got away with being bad for a long time. But I now have my first gym membership and do more talking about food than eating it. But still, I am gonna’ go off at Smorgasbord :yum:.

Edit: Smorgasburg

2 Likes

It does. I can only eat/drink much smaller amounts and have to be more careful about what I eat as well (grumble). I’m actually not even as hungry—most of the last year and a half I didn’t even eat dinner (maybe some cheese or hummus and crackers) unless I skipped lunch. I’m not a gym-type person, but I practice tai chi (and tai chi sword) and that helps quite a bit.

Back on topic----There’s lot of good looking food @ Smorgasburg. I think going with a small group of friends (or even 1 additional person) and sharing items is the key to trying a bunch of stuff. Have fun!

1 Like

[quote=“LAgirl, post:108, topic:3628”]
I’m not a gym-type person, but I practice tai chi (and tai chi sword)
[/quote]Pretty impressive. Shhh… I loathe the gym, but am pressed into going by the males. They don’t think gardening is an acceptable form of exercise :unamused:.

2 Likes

that’s pretty funny. but as my mom says (who’s in her mid-70s) “ya gotta keep moving or you won’t be able to move”

1 Like

She’s right! Joking aside. It’s actually kinda’ fun going with them (husband & son). But I swear I do just as much lifting & squatting in the garden :muscle:

[quote=“LAgirl, post:108, topic:3628”]
Back on topic----There’s lot of good looking food @ Smorgasburg. I think going with a small group of friends (or even 1 additional person) and sharing items is the key to trying a bunch of stuff.
[/quote]I agree. A few of my cousins recently went and had a blast. I think they tried Goa, Mama Musubi, Lobsterdamus and a pizza spot. I’m looking forward to a couple of those, but also want to try Good Gravy Bakes. I can never find flaky biscuits. Most restaurants serve fluffy, buttermilk biscuits which are good, but not my faves.

Happy eating!

FYI from Eater LA. If you’re not doing anything for Father’s Day. Always good to catch Geurilla Tacos and Rucker’s Pies for a bang bang. Does anybody know if Rucker’s Pies are always sold out of the Ugly Drum Stand or if this is a one time thing?

Sunday, June 18
Smorgasburg’s One Year Anniversary
What: Smorgasburg is celebrating its first anniversary in Los Angeles with the return of some of its original vendors, including Guerilla Tacos, Burritos La Palma, and Ramen Burger. And with Rucker’s Pies selling out of Ugly Drum Pastrami, it’s certainly not a bad way to celebrate Father’s Day.

7 Likes

Hi @js76wisco,

Thanks. Great info! :slight_smile:

Rucker’s Pies: It’s always that way, I would say they have a very clear partition, they have their own signage.

Rucker’s Pies used to be at Smorgasburg all the time. She stopped doing it and was concentrating on writing her book.So i believe this is a one time thing.

She also has an online store where you can order pies and pick up at Cofax coffee. www.squareup.com/store/ruckerspie

1 Like

Hi @Hungrydrunk,

Ah LOL, I read @js76wisco’s question as if Rucker’s Pies is (literally) being sold out of Ugly Drum stand as being commonplace or not (as in, in the past that’s the way it always was).

But yes, if js76 is asking if Nicole Rucker’s Pies will always be there every week, what @Hungrydrunk said. :slight_smile: She used to, but has stopped, so this return is most likely just a 1 time Father’s Day event.

1 Like

OOPS! i guess i forgot to mention that she had her own stand at Smorgasburg and was not selling out of Ugly Drum’s stand.

Got it thanks for the info. I’ve had Rucker’s Pies 2x at Smorgasburg. Since her and Geurilla left I haven’t been back. It sounds like URBN makes a nice pizza but those two vendors were the main draw for me. I guess I’ll have to wait until both open their brick and mortar later this year (hopefully).

1 Like

Hi @Hungrydrunk,

Yah, I wasn’t sure if technically they “split” what a normal full stand’s square footage was, or if they were 2 separate stands that were just smaller. They were next to each other either way. Both of their stands felt much smaller in space, compared to say, Goa Tacos or Lobsterdamus, etc. Either way, Rucker’s leaving was a sad day. :frowning:

1 Like

Went back today. On one hand it really is incredible what they have achieved here. So many people having a great time and trying all kinds of fun concoctions. It would be hard to say a bad word of any of it.

…But at the same time, some of the departures have really hit the quality of the food available. Specifically, unless I missed them, I didn’t see Burritos La Palma or anything Rucker-related, and we all know Porridge and Puffs is gone.

I tried three things: (1) pork belly Goa taco (pretty good, but the bread is by far the best part); (2) steak taco from some California bbq place (poor); and (3) lamb “al pastor” taco from Hearth and Olive. The last one was definitely the best thing I had. The lamb itself, on its own, is kind of disappointing and a bit mealy. But once you add the toppings they have–including a salsa verde that really zings and a nice tahini–you are really in that Arab/Mexican fusion sweet spot. I’d eat more of this.

Never have had a chance to try shrimp daddy. It was the longest line and I didn’t have the patience.

1 Like

I thought she had pulled out of Smorgsburg awhile ago to focus on opening her own shop?

I get what you’re saying about the mixed experience. I tried the one in Santa Monica (which I realize was likely significant smaller in scale/ambition than the one near DTLA). It was fun, I had tasty eats, but it wasn’t like I felt that I had to return.

1 Like