L.A.'s New Weekly, Outdoor, Semi-Permananent(?), Organized Food Festival - Smorgasburg [Thoughts + Pics]

Hi @lapizzamaven,

Thanks. Yah, Ugly Drum’s basic Pastrami Sandwich (Short Stack) is listed as a 1/4 pounder, but it was so thin and sparse, and that was $12. Their next option was a 1/2 pound Pastrami Sandwich for $20, but we didn’t want to risk it because we weren’t sure if they fixed their bread yet (and $20 for a Sandwich at a food stall seemed a bit excessive).

And at that price it’s more expensive than Langer’s and Brent’s Deli’s great Pastrami Sandwiches / Pastrami Reuben, which is insane (and you get more food and better food at both of those OG places).

2 Likes

thanks for the confirmation, Chowseeker! yeah, figured more bullshit…looks like you had to lift the bread to find the pastrami…they should call it the “hide & go seek” pastrami! :rofl:

4 Likes

Or the “You’re Fucking Kidding”

(Please forgive my language but it was needed to convey my true feelings. )

3 Likes

fwiw my local NY style deli charges $14.95+ tax for an 8 oz pastrami sandwich, using RC Provisions and authentic NYC shit-style rye bread.

Brents is $16 and Langers is $18.

3 Likes

A reference to Katz’s, no doubt.

Pastrami Queen was no better with regards to rye quality, so I just assume it’s the NYC way to put incredible meat between shittastic bread.

2 Likes

Very generous of you to list me among the BBQ experts :wink:!

I haven’t been to Moo’s in more than a year, mostly because the lines are so long these days, but that’s very disappointing to hear. And to see - that picture is very sad! I wonder if they’ve had issues scaling up, or if attention has lapsed a bit. The first few times I had their brisket I would have put it on a level with some of the second-tier stuff I had in Texas.

Love Ugly Drum, especially with that new bread, and was similarly disappointed by Katsu Sando.

2 Likes

Ouch. Sorry to hear that. BBQ is so tough here, for some reason. The people with a real love for it, are usually hobbyists turned entrepreneurs. They just don’t have the day-to-day repetition to be super consistent.

I hear that, but it’s not totally out of line with current deli prices. I haven’t tried Ugly Drum yet, but I do want to try the full sandwich at $20 after your review.

You know, I think it’s just the weak link at nearly any Jewish deli. Langer’s is the delicious outlier.

1 Like

Hi @Srsly,

Thanks. :slight_smile: Your informative posts on BBQ and smoking have been great here on FTC! :slight_smile:

Yah this was our first visit to Moo’s, so we never tried them when they were doing it underground in a more controlled environment. Perhaps as you and @frommtron mentioned, there’s a difference in doing small batch BBQ / cooking, compared to trying to handle hundreds upon hundreds of orders the entire day at Smorgasburg. We were definitely sad and shocked by how bad it was on that visit. :frowning:

Found one that isn’t deleted yet!

2 Likes

I’ll finally be going to Smorgasburg for the first time this Sunday.

Current vendor list:

I’m looking forward to:

Bridgetown Roti
Bungkus Bagus
Evil Cooks
The Goat Mafia
Love Hour
Macheen
Saucy Chick Rotisserie

Anything else I should try?
I figured I’d skip the ones that are restaurants that I’ve already been to (Burritos La Palma, Broad Street, etc.).

Thanks!

7 Likes

little fish

10 Likes

Oh wow. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

I’ve heard good things about Los Dorados.

I’m jealous I really wanna try Bridgetown Roti and Evil Cooks.

1 Like

Lei’d Cookies

2 Likes

Looking forward to your report (incl how crowded it is, for the more paranoid among us…). :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Damn Ugly Drum Pastrami is not at Smorgasburg anymore

1 Like

https://www.goldbelly.com/ugly-drum

Keep an eye out here.

3 Likes

Yeah, that’s pretty disappointing.

if they’re there (sometimes next to evilcooks), the tepache from todo verde

i’ve never seen it extremely crowded - the worst lines are maybe ~10 people deep. they have a tented area with benches where the Downtown Market pin is, but the better option is to go to the circled parallel section of the Row, where theres plenty of chairs and tables

2 Likes