LA Chinese food is just as good as Vancouver's

I have googled, but all I can find of the noodles about which you are all arguing is that they are made out of leftover noodle dough water.

Is this true?

That they are made out of leftover noodle dough water, or that it’s true that that’s all you could find using Google?

When we was/is peasants, that’s how we roll.

I don’t know where you got that, it’s more like the opposite: soak flour in multiple changes of water to remove the starch and leave mostly gluten, then pour the remaining goo on an oiled plate and steam it.

1 Like

That definitely sounds more logical.

I dunno, I like the way they used more chili oil than some places. It’s a light flavored dish but I loves me some chili oil. Noodle thickness and width look good to me too. And that wheat gluten stuff makes the dish, they sure didn’t skimp. I guess we’ll just agree to disagree. I know you’re more of an expert on this or any other Chinese dish, but to me it looks really good.

I find this interesting (and personally think we should spin this off into its own topic). I’m used to the dish from Shaanxi Gourmet, where it was a standard order of mine. It was listed as “cold steamed noodle”. I always thought it was just Shaanxi liang pi, but from what you describe, it sounds closer to gan mian pi (though it was wheat noodles, and very white in appearance). I’ve also had the dish at Shaanxi Garden, where it was very similar.