LA FTC'ers a/k/a "beer snobs"

lol

6 Likes

Just picked up a few crowlers from a new brewery in Glendale Paperback Brewing. Styles seem pretty standard for a new brewery. They have a crowler of their blonde for $6 as a promo for their grand opening. Figured it was worth a shot to see what they are working with.

1 Like

It’s a beer type beer kind of weather

2 Likes

Well this just arrived. Going to crack this open and continue reading about Sqirl.

4 Likes

Got my Pliny 4 Pres today as well. Definitely cracking one shortly

1 Like

I got my case too. Going to wait for wine Wednesday lol. Fuck a Kanye, Pliny for prezzy

1 Like

So how bomb is it

Very good. I will say I am coming off a weekend of last weeks Monkish drop so the body was lighter than i expected but not a big deal. The way the hop flavors are presented are just clean, bright and balanced. Another Vinnie hit.

1 Like

Same here. That Monkish drop last week was crazy. I ended up getting all of the Freaky Friday cans and some previously released cans.

It’s good to mix up a nice west coast with the hazy. Pliny for President is very good. The best west coast I’ve had in a long time is Burgeon Carlsbad Crush. I think it’s because I love mosaic hops.
West Coast Pale Ale brewed solely with Mosaic and Mosaic Cryo

2 Likes

Love me some mosaic. Don’t think I have had Burgeon yet. That TDH Broccoli is one of the best monkish beers I have had. I am sad I only kept 2 cans for myself :frowning:

1 Like

Terrible. I kept a full four pack of each. Traded for some of the members only Electric

1 Like

I just received my mixed can case of cellar maker, shout out @Nemroz for posting about it. The SA/CM collab is insanely good. Exactly what I want in a hazy IPA. Close to Monkish level dare I say. Cheers!

3 Likes

I ordered the mixed case from Cellarmaker 2 weeks ago. The Orange Julian hazy was delicious. I have 2 cans of a 10% coffee and cigarette stout that I haven’t opened yet but am very intrigued by the description.

Crushed 2 pliny for prezzy. Even my dad who doesn’t get IPA was into it. Now onto Armenian wine

2 Likes

If anybody is down near Costa Mesa.

5 Likes

Any recommendations for pilsner or kolsch? I’m the only drinker in this house, so cans work - crowlers not really. I live in Boyle Heights and drive all around, but will likely decline to drive to Bay area.

I haven’t had any of the pilsners at Highland Park Brewery but they generally are a very good brewery. They have 3 types of pilsners available for pick up right now. I’ve really enjoyed their hoppy lagers recently.

3 Likes

I do admire the HPB pilsners, though they definitely run hoppy. Some of them - the Timbo series specifically - are basically light IPAs.

Green Cheek in OC makes very nice pilsners too, and Enegren’s German lagers are killer. When Beachwood does them theirs are great, and I also like Hayabusa, Beachwood’s rice lager.

If you’re picking up from a bottle shop, Figueroa Mountain makes some solid light stuff, and Trumer is a good go-to pils from Berkeley.

3 Likes

Seeing a lot of Energen cans pop up in OC bottle shops. I assumed they were a German brewery and was surprised they are in California.

Do you have any favorites? My wife likes a nice crisp lager and I’ll have one every once in a while.

1 Like

Do you have any favorites?
None that are popping to mind. I grew up in the Midwest and had my fair share of Old Style and PBR. A month or two ago someone pointed out that pilsner and kolsh are similar to champagne in the style of glass it should be served in.

THAT WAS IT. Just the intimation “champagne of beers” + my lack of air conditioning was enough to fixate my brain beer on lighter beer. I picked up a four pack of Four Point beer KSA and liked it.

Thanks for all the ideas, and I’ll keep the thread up to date as I try things out.

For you sour fans out there - I have enjoyed Dry River Brewing over here in Boyle Heights, although I haven’t used their limited pick-up/delivery services.

It’s kitty-corner to Indie Brewing Company. I’ve been to each a few times - Indie has large indoor rooms for drinking - usually had music on or sports on their big screens. Lots of IPAs and guys wearing flat rimmed baseball hats. I’m not an IPA nut, and prefer the Angels to the Dodgers so none of it was a good fit for me. However, I see they are selling cans of Pacific Kölsch Highway so I’ll likely pick one up.

I’ve read good things about Brewjeria in Pico Rivera and LOVE their name. The El Centeno is close to what I’m looking for, so that’s an idea, too.

2 Likes