LA Restaurant Hot Takes

Hi @Dommy!

Obviously we disagree on a couple of points. :grin: But I live with a burrito man and these local recs are very helpful.

P.S. I love how much you love this topic.

1 Like

Good to know! We have a quickie Trejos at USC and honestly at the Village… Dulce makes the superior Breakfast Burrito… However, the breakfast sandwich at Rock N Rileys is where you get the QPR for tasty breakfast option at the complex.

2 Likes

Have you tried the breakfast burritos at Soto’s Kitchen by you? Also they have small flour and meat only burritos for lunch.

Frank’s on Fairfax does a nice breakfast burrito you just have to tell them to cool it with the papas.

2 Likes

I believe the “sunny eggs” in Doubting Thomas’s breakfast burritos are fried.

1 Like

Nate’s Korner in Santa Ana does them with fried eggs and hash browns for potatoes. I always ask for an extra egg.

2 Likes

Second on George’s Burger Stand.

I’d also like to throw Everest’s hat in the ring. It’s not a celebrated place but everything I’ve had there is just really well made. For breakfast burritos specifically I like that they’re always very consistent about 1) griddling the burrito, 2) wrapping in paper with a seam up the middle for easy eating, 3) ALL the meats are available (eg, pastrami and chili) instead of just the usual suspects, 4) their green and red salsas are very serviceable and bright and 5) breakfast burritos are served all day.

Avocado is an abomination in a Breakfast Burrito

I might have agreed with this once but Jugos Azteca made a believer out of me.

1 Like

Excited to chase down some of these recommends. Almost every breakfast burrito in LA is just too fucking massive. New Mexico has the platonic ideal of the BB down pat (Charlie’s Spic n’ Span in Las Vegas being the champ): smallish burritos the size of Burritos Las Palmas that can be eaten with one hand while driving.

2 Likes

every breakfast burrito in LA is just too fucking massive

That’s a fair point. If manageable size is important for your consideration, Jugos Azteca’s is pretty reasonable as is the famed Tacos Villa Corona.

The seam up the side of Everest’s burrito is seriously one of my favorite things allowing me to eat it while keeping a hand on the wheel… but then there’s also the application of salsa so I guess it’s really a two hander, after all.

3 Likes

I found this burrito to be meh.

2 Likes

Agreed (I tried the veggie version). I was wowed by their chocolate chip and sea salt cookie, but wished I ordered a different main.

Edited to add:
As a former Atwater Village resident, I did think Tacos Villa Corona’s breakfast burritos were pretty darn perfect. Loved their salsa picante.

The breakfast burrito of choice in my town of Davis that I found “meh” is from a place called Ali Baba. Scrambled eggs, french fries, gyro meat, bacon, cheese, and honey-Tapatio sauce. Maybe for drunchies or hangover food, but it was a little too much for me.

2 Likes

My friend is a big Beastie Boys fan and is bugging me to get breakfast at Tacos Villa Corona, what’s the move???

Re: Breakfast Burritos

They are IMO an iconic LA dish like Donuts, Cheeseburgers, Tacos

4 Likes

I haven’t eaten at Soto’s Kitchen but A likes the breakfast burrito. What’s a “papas”?

My go-tos were the classic papas burrito with steak and the papas burrito with spinach (health food, right?)

1 Like

Potatoes

1 Like

Ohhh, papas!

1 Like

I typically don’t like avocado with warm/hot stuff but I like it in this burrito. But now that I think about it scratch the avocado at Trejo’s. Since they’ve expanded there’s problems with staffing and consistency is an issue. Brown spots are common. :disappointed:

1 Like

Essential L.A. slang there, Cookie… :wink:

3 Likes

People who go to Trejo’s say taters. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::orange_heart:

runs away very fast

2 Likes

That’s because Ciro’s bowed out. They made an excellent chorizo, papas, y huevos burrito. Add some of their refried beans and the avocado salsa and it was like heaven in your mouth. Miss Ciro’s immensely. : (

But I agree, breakfast burritos, with proper procurement of ingredients, can be far superior made at home.

1 Like