LA Restaurant Hot Takes

Good posts.

When we finally broke down and ate at Trejo’s La Brea (walking distance) we were pleasantly surprised, and the vegetarians loved it. It was especially up my alley because I’m not really a grilled meat taco gal, which mostly leaves me out of the street taco game. I’m more of a guisado-style and a definite mariscos gal. Trejo’s doesn’t offer much in that way but I like the variety and what he’s trying to do. My problem is they tweak the menu & recipes too much and consistency is poor. I miss the discontinued :hot_pepper::fire: chicken wings! And takeout is abysmal, like they don’t care because they don’t have to look at you… hence the brown avocado. That’s when the QPR is bothersome and it’s hard to recommend. We were also bummed when they replaced Loteria! Grill at the Farmers Market. Can Trejo’s really be the only Mexican food offering at the LA Farmers Market? But I get it, tourists probably love it and we want the FM to survive. See? Told you I had more than a few things to say about Trejo’s. I’m actually surprised there was this long a discussion on FTC. @nemroz is probably ready to blow a head gasket. But Danny is a native son, so. :wink:

P.S. I have never found anything at Singapore Leaf to write home about. The flavors are kinda’ muted & subdued… to me anyway.

4 Likes

What’s a better Indonesian or Malaysian place around? You don’t like the laksa with fish cake and the paratha? Kick it up with the green hit sauce at the tables.

I miss Malaysian and Indonesian in Boston. LA is lacking

1 Like

Simpang in Palms is probably the best bet.

Haven’t been to Kasih in Downtown but I heard some good things.

3 Likes

I miss the market they had

1 Like

Okay, I’ll try it one more time.

Hi @JeetKuneBao,

We tried Kasih, and I have zero interest in returning, but maybe they were just off nights. Still there are too many great restaurants and unexplored places for us to want to return right now.

Where in Boston ?

1 Like

I wasn’t wildly impressed by Kasih, but it was good enough that I’d give it another try.

Ramayani claims to be Indonesian, but the menu seemed all over the place.

https://www.foodtalkcentral.com/t/simpang-or-other-malaysian-indonesian

1 Like

Market is closed? It would take me a half hour to get to Simpang. Banana Leaf is serviceable

I has been 16 years i can’t remember . There were a couple in Chinatown for example

1 Like

They used to operate a Malaysian market on site as well. It was 1/3 market 1/3 deli 1/3 Malay Lunch counter. I believe they remodeled a year or 2 ago and it’s all restaurant. Someone correct me if I’m wrong

2 Likes

Yea I’ve been there a lot. I was acting surprised that the market is closed. Guess it has been a while

1 Like

I’m surprised no one’s mentioned Borneo Kalimantan Cuisine yet. On searching this site it seems like FTCers are a bit tepid about the restaurant but I’ve always enjoyed it when I eat there. I’m also not a huge Michelin Guide person but I was gratified to see that they gave Borneo Kalimantan Cuisine a plate mention.

1 Like

[quote=“WireMonkey, post:168, topic:10723”]
Borneo
[/quote]ive had this bookmarked for a while now . We were kind of discussing what’s accessible around mid city I thought

Their laksa is excellent!

1 Like

Oh, around Trejos et al. I thought you meant, like, the world. Indonesian and Malaysian is so thin on the ground in LA I thought anything was up for grabs.

Very disappointed to hear about the market at Simpang. It was one of the only places I could find different curry powders.

1 Like

Okay, had Trejo’s Breakfast Burrito this morning. Gone are the really crispy potatoes, replaced by not so crispy tater tots (probably more cost & labor efficient) and there wasn’t a lot of tortilla strip crunch. Also, I think Danny must be a heat guy because they had really hot sauces in the beginning, not Holbox hot, but hot… well not no more. Everything is more tailored to a mainstream customer base. I get it. I’m not mad at them. It’s still a good burrito, but if you’re a real burrito head it won’t give you the warm & fuzzies.

Eggs, Cheese, Bean Dip, Salsa, Taters, Strips

…My boo got Chorizo in his.

I don’t trust the Avocado, so I just ordered a 2oz side of Guacamole just in case it was bad. It wasn’t. Plus a side of some kind of Creme Salsa sauce.

5 Likes

Banana leaf

4 Likes

Cute kid!

I ate him too

4 Likes