LA Restaurant Hot Takes

Can I ask what you tend to pre-order? We used to do this but they upped their minimum order for potato balls and cheese pastries to something insane like three dozen. If thereā€™s something else we can do to jump the line weā€™d be all over that.

(And to forestall jokes, Yes, yes, who canā€™t take down 36 potato balls, har har.)

1 Like

Usually, I order a cake with potato balls and cheese rolls. I tend to like the party-sized ones because theyā€™re smaller and easier for people to eat.

+1

My Hakushu, Yamazaki, Nikka & Hibiki age statement hoarding was courtesy of Costco!!! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes::metal::metal::metal::metal:

& Diaego annual special releases on fire sale :laughing:

Iā€™d say thatā€™s a fair assessment. I think folks (including me) get more excited by the idea of Portoā€™s than the actual offerings. I like the Guava & the Cheese Strudel, but not sure Iā€™d drive across town for them. BUT! I had the Milk & Berry Cake last weekend and it was so good. :hearts: The strawberries were fine but the cake, custard & cream were lite, moist, creamy & delicious (not too sweet at all).

1 Like

Hi @Gr8pimpin - I scored this from a birthday party recently. Everyone went for the frouffy, fancy cake and this was left standing, so. :partying_face:

Chocolatey, moist, fudgey ganache and, yes, gritty smooth sugar frosting. This is one of my favorite chocolate cakes. Tastes like grandma madeā€¦ just not my grandma. :nail_care:

8 Likes

Instacart delivers Costcoā€¦ and you donā€™t have to be a member.

1 Like

Now THATā€™S EXACTLY what I talking about!!! YUM!!!

2 Likes

Lol @Gr8pimpin. Itā€™s sooo good. I donā€™t like the old-school crisco thing which is why I donā€™t like Hansenā€™s anymore - they started taking it to a new level where thatā€™s all you taste. Iā€™m sure Beaā€™s probably uses it but itā€™s barely detectable, especially in the chocolate. :hearts:

1 Like

Yeah, I stop people who start singing the praises of Costco to me. Itā€™s not that I donā€™t like them, but we donā€™t have one close enough to be worth it. We settle for Smart & Final over here - a pale comparison.

Someone up above said the shipping mark-ups make the costco savings not worth it?

Instacart and Costco delivery are 2 separate things

3 Likes

Iā€™ve only used it once, and I donā€™t remember it being that bad. I thought the post above was referring to Costco doing the delivery as opposed to Instacart, but I could be wrong.

I actually donā€™t either. I do like buttercream. Beaā€™s says theirs is buttercream, is it common to add shortening to a ā€œbuttercreamā€ frosting or is it just butter?

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure itā€™s common at every bakery, but last time I had Hansenā€™s cake with buttercream frosting it tasted like crisco and sugar. This was years ago, though.

1 Like

Costco delivery is free for orders of $250 or more. Thereā€™s a $25 surcharge for orders under $250 and a $10 delivery charge for orders under $100. Online prices are sometimes higher than in the store.

2 Likes

That B true. Also, I dont even really eat turkey, but their roast turkey (same place as the cooked chicken is incredible). I bought it to mix in my dogā€™s kibble and now make him share.

1 Like

Sugarfish is the highest QPR sushi you can get under $50, excluding Kazu Nori.

2 Likes

Yep. The Nozawa consortium have the most buying power at the wholesale fish market level. And luckily, they do care about preserving consistency within their brand, so theyā€™re not afraid to use it.

1 Like

Naaa. Noshi

1 Like