LA Restaurant Hot Takes

just googled this sandwich and it looks dank

Great call. And these folks specifically - at Echo Park lake, near the closed-off bridge at the north end of the lake - make the best Iā€™ve had in town, as good as all but the very best that Iā€™ve had in Mexico. Even did a close comparison with some higher-profile churro vendors and these dudes killed it across the board.

1 Like

half of the ones we had were uncooked insideā€¦ like i get moist inside but these were still moosh

lol. well either I hit them on a few good days or you hit them on a rough one. The ones I had were on the moist side, but perfectly crisp outside and fully cooked.

Corner Cottage in Burbank has equally overrated breakfast burritos. The only reason people like them is because after a 2 hour wait, of course eggs/potato/meat/cheese encased in a tortilla is going to be the 2nd coming of christ.

4 Likes

I give zero fucks about Howling Rayā€™s. Yes Iā€™d try it if there wasnā€™t a wait but since there is, Iā€™d rather get some Thai fried chicken with a lava hot dipping sauce and go to town

4 Likes

I tried it last week for the first time. It really was okay. I am impressed by their hot salsa and the fact that they are cracking a million fresh eggs for their burritos, though. I do not find liquified or powdered eggs appealing.

Never tried the pie, but based on the burger, the allure of Pie & Burger eludes me.

Oh, and the one time I went to Shake Shack, it sucked.

1 Like

shake shack burgers are disgusting

1 Like

Non-Mexican/Latin street food is the next big thing in LA. We have the beginnings of it in Highland Park with Chinese Laundry, Bang Bang Noodles #1, Pho King Ngoc, and Yum Los Angelesā€¦Two chinese, one vietnamese, and a thaiā€¦

8 Likes

Donā€™t forget the wood fired pizza guys or the Mango and Sticky Rice girlsā€¦

1 Like

iā€™m familiar with most of the above but this one. IG link?

love that street food is becoming more a thing in LA.

Mango and Sticky Rice girls over by the Trader Joes at Palmsā€¦

https://www.instagram.com/mymangostickyrice2019/

1 Like

Ralphā€™s fried chicken can compete with many of the popular fried chicken spots around LA

8 Likes

Popeyes hot chicken sandwich is going to destroy CfA. And theyā€™re open on sundays!

5 Likes

With all due respect to @VeniceRunner I think I hate pumpkin pie. Iā€™d take Pie Holeā€™s pecan pie over any pumpkin pie.

Sweet potato pie > pumpkin pie

Pumpkin pie is good if you use a tasty pumpkin, but the stuff they put into cans

2 Likes

Ube pie > sweet potato pie.

1 Like

Iā€™ve been to 4 stores today. Not a 2 had Ube but sweet potato pies are on

Special order from @laroolou on Instagram. Kcrw goodfood blue ribbon winner.

2 Likes