LA restaurants open for seated dining

Not sure about always, but for awhile now, yes.

1 Like

I am so embarrassed for being a former OC resident.

The most patriotic thing to do right now is to wear a mask.

4 Likes

Haven’t you heard? Give em liberty or give em death! I wonder if any of them wear a seatbelt?

1 Like

They are comedians who are in character, kinda like the original Colbert! They were on Take Two last week after the video took off… They did pretty good! Starts at 44:10

Poke lovers unite!

2 Likes

It actually used to be worse. Thankfully, due to the influx of immigrants since the 80s, OC is a slightly more tolerant place than it used to be.

6 Likes

I think you’re right. Very different neighborhoods when you drive down the 1 or 405 from Huntington down to San Clemente vs driving the 22/55/91/5 in central/north OC like Santa Ana, Anaheim, Buena Park, Garden Grove and Fullerton.

The difference is Brad Johnson best of OC lists mostly comprised with restaurants in Laguna, Newport, CDM and Dana Point. Vs the real best of list mostly from the other OC.

3 Likes

Ironically, they do.

https://www.trump2020masks.com/products/maga-mask

It’s where the birther movement started…

2 Likes

Walter Knott, of berry-farm fame, sponsored the five-day “Christian Anti-Communist School” to help Orange County see the world that he saw, one where big government and liberalism led to Soviet domination. The message stuck. Within the decade, Orange County would have 38 chapters of the conspiracy-minded, ultra-right-wing John Birch Society, which called Republican President Dwight D. Eisenhower a “communist tool.” Knott and actor John Wayne were members, as was the county’s congressman. The rightward mobilization during the suburban explosion of the 1960s gave Orange County a national reputation for hard-line conservatism with a crackpot edge — “nut country,” in the words of Fortune magazine.

Anyone from the OC Latchkey Kids Club remember Wally George?

Where's Wally

4 Likes

Ha! I had no idea. That’s amazing.

“Orly Taitz is a Moldovan-American political conspiracy theorist. A dentist, lawyer, and former real estate agent, Taitz was a…” :grin:

2 Likes

We used to watch him for the entertainment factor of fringe crackpot. Never would have imagined how the world would turn out today. He was so out there, his daughter the lovely Rebecca De Mornay cut off all ties from him.

2 Likes

Lol! Yes. As a budding Tom Bradley supporting middle schooler. I would watch as a perverse sort of entertainment.

And his daughter was Rebecca De Mornay ( named after the cheese sauce?) if i recall correctly

4 Likes

Haha I remember watching this as a young kid staying up late watching Saturday Night Live, Wally George, Girls Gone Wild infomercials LoL, Howard Stern Show, Tales from the Crypt, Boxeo Telemundo, Poor Mans Bikini Beach, music cd informercials, Saturday Nights was great TV

6 Likes

How about a little 80’s punk to round it up? Black Flag, TV Party

TV Party tonight! TV Party tonight!

3 Likes

I just remember his perpetual (and only?) sponsor: Cal Worthington and his dog Spot.

… and while we’re on the ol’ skool TV kick, how ‘bout chilling out to “Night Flight” on the USA Network? So frickin’ 80s.

2 Likes

So much love for my 'hood! Y’all stereotype much? I get the generalizations, but most who live outside the county are only seeing the worst. There is definitely that element here. Main St HB has been a train wreck for years, so it’s no surprise that it’s the current vortex of ignorance and the what-about-me crowd. We avoid it in favor of Pacific City if we’re hanging out in town. My experience with everyday things like shopping and even going out to eat have not at all been like this. This HB resident leaves the house as little as possible, and when he does, it’s with a mask, social distancing, and lots of hand sanitizer.

8 Likes

To be fair I think HB gets more than its share of beach goers from riverside that may be more politically uhm libertarian

1 Like

I lived a large chunk of years in South OC, that’s where I met my wife, got married in OC, started my career, etc. OC is also the first place where I encountered overt racism as an Asian guy dating a white woman and being subjected to comments about “mixing races”, etc.

OC has definitely gotten better, but it wasn’t so long ago that open racism was tolerated in large swaths and IMO there are still big pockets where racism bubbles up easily with little pushback.

10 Likes

I’m truly sorry that you had to endure that experience. Nobody should have to. Admittedly, as a large white male, I have no clue what it must be like. My Mexican wife has experienced it growing up here. I can say that my experience growing up in the IE saw it’s fair share of redneck racist assholes (more than I’ve experienced in OC), and I’m not arguing that overt racism doesn’t exist, and probably more so in OC (especially HB), it just felt like the posts above were applying a pretty broad brush. My deepest apologies if I came off as insensitive.

2 Likes