Tamales Elena y Antojitos
Taste of Tehran
Tsubaki
Tsujita
Woodspoon
Yang’s Kitchen

8 Likes

Any surprise new places or omissions?

I like that he included PRD despite it being in the throes of moving. And the alphabetical sort.

shibumi
angler
vespertine :poop: :face_vomiting: :poop:

congratulations to sushi kaneyoshi, 5 stars hue and @hppzz

3 Likes

Lol why me? Looks like 5 stars took golden deli’s spot. They better up their game because golden delight looks poised to be best Vietnamese in SGV

6 Likes

Their rice paper egg rolls are great and it helps to be one of jgolds favorite spots… most things on the menu are solid, you could do a lot worse for Vietnamese in the SGV…but destination worthy? Ehh

4 Likes

+1
Average at best

lol all this list does is remind me of how much I miss jonathan gold.

3 Likes

Most of the list IS Jonathan Gold. I looked up some places that I didn’t recognize and almost all had been on his previous 101 lists. And the bulk of the rest were his, too.

1 Like

How was Angler not on the list? Who would you replace to put on the list? I am actually surprised because it’s still one of my favorite restaurants and I recently had a really great meal there. Personally, i would take Rossoblu out and replace it with Angler

2 Likes

I am looking forward to reading the copy.
Bladdison has (largely) been MIA, as far as features and reviewing , for the past few months while working on this.

1 Like

Tsubaki is a bit of a head-scratcher for me.
It’s good, but I find many dishes average - standard izakaya chow,with some “elevated” dishes/ingredients to bolster the prices, IMHO. Shibumi, Shunji, Hero, n/naka etc are doing much more delicious and creative things with modern izakaya.

5 Likes

Replace Hotville and Sonoratown with Howlin Ray and Tire Shop

5 Likes

Sun Nong Dan is mediocre and expensive at best for me. Their kalbi jjim with cheese and pieces of sliced brisket instead of big on the bone short rib is a travesty. No thanks. Plenty of other much better Korean places that could have been chosen.

3 Likes

I like the concept of Chifa but some of you said execution is not there….anyone been recently?

I think it’s cool they included Little Arabia, Little Saigon, and Cambodia Town with Forn Al Hara, Pho 79, and the Shack respectively. I think Pho 79 has always made it to this list to my knowledge.

When did that change happen? I remember it with bone-in at Koreatown and both SGV locations.

I haven’t been to the original location in years, but the one i used to frequent was the one in San Gabriel (on Las Tunas) and yes, that one went terribly downhill for me. they used to have the bone short rib and it got replaced with thin pieces of meat and beef ribs which had little to no meat on them.

1 Like

Poor Shunji.

2 Likes

Last time we went was to the Diamond Bar location maybe 2 years ago and they gave us thin slices of brisket and anemic on the bone ribs. Never again.

2 Likes