LA Trip Suggestions

No - but I’m waiting ing line right now to get into the Broad and don’t think I’m up for another line this vacation.

Got in line at 8:30 and they’re saying we will get tickets around 9:45. Wexlers bagel lox makes for a pleasant wait.

2 Likes

Nice. You just might get into the Infinity Mirrors!

Yep infinity at10:15

1 Like

How much total wait time when you added in the second wait for IM?

It was just one wait. 8:30 to 10:15 when our tickets for Infinity exhibit started. They asked if we wanted tickets for later in the day but it was 10:00 when we got to the head of the line so just 15 more minute wait. After the infinity exhibit you just go into the rest of the museum. $30 (kids under 12 free) so I think they raised it $5 for the holidays.

Hatchet Hall was great. Service was great - casual but super informed and helpful and it didn’t feel like the part time actor I often seem to get in LA restaurants. Sort of farmers market southern. I’m not aware of anywhere in the Bay Areal like this. Nice tequila rum pineapple cocktail. yeast rolls (great but $8 for 2 rolls seems kind of crazy). Salad with aged cheddar, apples, pumpkin seeds, mustard greens, streak (new to me green) was really good-the cheddar gave it an anchovy like umami. Fried squid with aioli and a pile of lightly dressed herbs that balanced the fried coating. Rice pilaf with duck confit was excellent, it almost tasted like a rich risotto (and for all I know if might have been. It was so goddamned dark in there you could hardly see the food). Side of collard greens with generous hunks of brisket was the only real miss. It was fine but needed some vinegar to punch it up.

Thanks A5KOBE for the Moreliana tacos tip, it was perfect quick lunch after the Broad and daughter was getting the low blood sugar crankiness. I like how they give you sampler taco while you are in line - reminds me of the pastrami sample they give you at Katz’s. Rode the funicular to/from the Broad!

Highly recommend the Infinity exhibit and the whole museum really. The bold pop art focus makes it great for kids and it is not massive so you can see most everything before they get bored. I really dug Wexler’s lox, feels like it tasted better than last time I had it.

Will likely hit Holbox tonight since since I’m not feeling the drive to Maple Block.

One last question - I need to bring dessert back for T-Giving. Bottega Louie or are there better options downtown? tx.
thumbnail_IMG_4987[1]thumbnail_IMG_5046[1]

3 Likes

Fugetsu-Do

4 Likes

Since you are staying in DTLA, maybe check out The Mighty? Karen Hatfield is one of our LA pastry chef treasures. They have pies and cakes in a display case next to the register. Not sure if they sell them whole as well as by slice. Had a really nice slice of lemon pie when I went to check it out a while back.

7 Likes

Wexler’s does a great job with smoked fish, way better than what I had at Gjusta.

Farmers market southern in the SF area there’s Farmer Brown. 1300 on Fillmore and Picán in Oakland both closed recently.

1 Like

Hope you had a chance to go to California Science Center or the Museum of Natural History with your child (and Chichen Itza /Mercado La Paloma is so close).
Also, going to Broad, and Grand Central, I hope you got a chance to take Angels Flight (and the expo line from downtown to USC< and the red line from downtown to Langers - kids love the rail).

In future if someone else is coming with a kid, another fun thing for kids is Fisherman’s Outlet near Central and 5th. eat outdoors, pick your fish, very simple, you can augment with excellent ceviche if the child is adventurous and not used to it.
http://fishermansoutlet.net

I second the Mighty for price and speed. Also, do they still do a tea at the biltmore? she might like that and feel all grown up.
In addition, the steps to the LA Public library are fun, as is a little tour of the place, and there’s excellent gelato both at Ugo’s downtown outlet on 6th st around the corner from Pershing Sq and in the Arcade Building off Broadway at Gelateria Uli (toward Spring st)
http://www.gelateriauli.com/
http://cafeugo.com/locations/downtown-la/

Too bad i saw this too late.

2 Likes

Last day we ice skated at Pershing Square in shorts and sun dress (92 degrees!) then walked over to Cento for pasta. I had squid ink, sauce had squid, garlic and some tomato, daughter had the gnocchi with pesto - light citrusy sauce. Pasta was good, gnocchi a little gummy. Also had the burrata with a nicely warmed baguette. Gregarious chef told us he worked at Bestia for a few years. Nice little place for lunch. Meant to hit BS Taqueria just for happy hour drinks but ended up ordering tacos and mole fries, etc., so never made it to Holbox unfortunately. BS Taqueria is a great happy hour spot but not in the same league as BS.
The Mighty does not sell whole pies, but they said they anticipate doing so starting in January, so we got a banana cream tart with burnt caramel sauce from Bottega Louie. Cliftons is only open Thursday-Sunday, so we checked out the Last Bookstore instead - fun for kids. We stayed at the Biltmore and did not see anything about afternoon tea but daughter loved the old school vibe, indoor pool, steam rooms, etc. DTLA seems to be more vibrant every time I come down. Great walking area. Thanks for all the tips. Will probably stay in Venice area next trip and check out Gjusta, Maple Block, etc.

thumbnail_IMG_5065[1]

6 Likes

Thanks, yes we hit the Broad, Angel’s Flight, GCM, walked around the steps of the public library.

1 Like